Why do boomers hate common core so much...

Why do boomers hate common core so much? It's basically just making math easier for kids using terms they can understand, and then it lets them find their own method(s) to use that works for them.

Are they just talking out of their asses because they hate change?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W6OaYPVueW4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because the baby boomer generation never learned real math, which is just applied logic and critical thinking. Their idea of math is something different, a very basic and practical formal version of math.

I dislike cc because it doesn't treat math any different it has for the last 50 years. It's still just plug and chug, rather than logic and reasoning.

A rose by aNY other name

It's only useful for multiplying large digits ie. hundreds or greater to a number somewhat near the actual which you would never need to do irl.

It's fine as a crutch for the feeble-minded.
What makes everyone pissed off is punishing people who solve a problem in a way that non-retards do.

The fact of the matter is, is that you cannot teach mathematical intuition, and that's what common core's aim is. A student is only going to understand math intuitively if they are motivated to, not by being forced to do abstract puzzles.

Boomers can generally do math in their head and can write beautifully.
Modern standards for young people are abysmal for the 3 R's.
I'm talking about Veeky Forums here, I'm talking about the general pop.
Common core is failing a generation of kids where the old system clearly worked sufficiently.

I'm *not* talking about Veeky Forums here

Boomers might be able to calculate simple arithmetic in their head (I mean most people can, not just boomers) but that isn't mathematics and that doesn't foster reason and critical thinking, which the world desperately lacks, especially boomers. They can't all write "beautifully" they're only better at writing because later gens type a lot, finding writing by hand to be increasingly irrelevant. Shit, I filled in a sheet and signed it through a digital interface the other day, they don't even need to print the sheet for record keeping. Common Core isn't failing as a concept, just incompetent teachers are failing it and their students.

Honestly, the uninformed rote memorisation meme needs to die in education.

You say that most kids can do math in their heads these days, you're wrong.
Probably living inside an academic bubble.
Literacy, math skills and interest in book reading among the average pleb have been in decline for a long time.
A boomer who left school at 14 to take up a trade will struggle to understand how an apprentice can't do simple addition without a calculator.

>can't even memorize the times table because that would be oppressive
kys

But that's just wrong. Visited my moms side of the family a few weeks ago, and had small talk with my cousin in 3rd grade. Apparently they have these timed tests for multiplication, and for each one they pass they get a part of a sundae. At the end of the month they have an icecream party with the toppings they earned. All of them can do times tables without any issues. It's probably on a school to school basis but I see no better way to do it. 3rd graders don't give a fuck about grades, but they do give a fuck about ice cream sundaes.

So yes, third graders can do multiplication tables

Its an improvement. The fact that it provides kids with a basis in number theory before moving on is great.

Yeah, anecdotal but I heard from younger students that being smart is now becoming cooler again. As in the popular kids at school actually get A's and proudly study for exams etc.

That definitely was not the case when I was a teenager in the early 2000s/

Nerd counterculture has died down a lot, and honestly I'm glad. All the twentysomethings seeing the nerds owning businesses and making mad money probably made them start teaching kids that being smart is nothing to be ashamed of.

is that an official part of the common core program

>easier for kids
Kill yourself.
Common core is retarded, it's like the Juicero.
Retarded, convoluted and distracts kids from true math thanks to their retarded technicisms.

No, but they've had to have known their multiplication tables beforehand. Also, it's not a program, it's a standard

>can't make the effort to understand math instead of memorizing tricks because that would be oppressive

kys

Okay, that's just straight up retarded, but most of those pictures like that that are posted by bitchy facebook moms arent the result of cc, theyre the result of shitty teachers/textbooks. CC isnt a program, its a standard, and a vague one at that.

To talk about the problem more, The only thing I hate about cc is the "one size fits all" mentality, but that didnt come with cc

for example, elementary school was extremely boring for me, as i knew most of the material. the teachers put me in that one gifted program thing, but all they did was just give me double the work. around junior high was when school actually became fun

thats why im such a supporter of individualized education. its hard for teachers to teach students that are dumb as rocks and others that can be the next albert einstein. programs like membean individualize students so that each of them work at their own pace (its for vocabulary iirc).

let me put it like this; the way education is right now, the dumb-as-rocks types get let behind, while the smart kids are getting straight a's but bored. the ones in the middle are the ones that actually learn. thats fucked up in all sorts of ways

youtube.com/watch?v=W6OaYPVueW4