I have literally almost given up of my dreams of research due to Artificial Intelligence videos

I have literally almost given up of my dreams of research due to Artificial Intelligence videos.

I have recently graduated Chemical Engineering and have an addiction to futurology and artificial intelligence videos. I almost feel like my work and research in chemical engineering is useless, because there will just be some bot one day to do it for me... so what's the point? The only thing I can do now is use computers and learn programming to become relevant in future aspects.

Please help me rationalize that my work is useful and still relevant.

go study artificial intelligence then you [math]\mathbb{\color{red}B\color{red}R\color{red}A\color{red}I\color{red}N\color{red}L\color{red}E\color{red}T}[/math]

Are all of our research projects...math included useless...cause a bot will just do the work for us one day?

There is no guarantee that your job will be automated in your working lifetime. Quit watching popsci videos

>no guarantee
No, just a high probability.

According to who?

General AI is a joke. They can't even begin to understand how one could be made.

Anyways the economics don't make sense. If any and all labor could be automated they might as well exterminate the labor pool. Finding a job would be the least ir your concern.

Coding is probably the first thing to become rendered obsolete. You think coding will be relevant when general AI is around that can write its own programming?

I don't want to sound like a discouraging asshole, OP, but everything what you wrote is correct. Not in the way of "we should just give up bro" but rather "stop researching anything else except AI because AI will in turn research that everything else for us". The most optimal way I can think of that a living conscious being could spend its hours right now is by researching AI, with everything else being of a lesser need since it automatically comes right after reaching that milestone

oh user, i remember when i was so naive

Depends.
If a few wizards get together to build an AI and each infuse a piece of their soul into it...technically it is still them doing it.
Worse. It is them, alive forever...researching forever.

Building Gods.

In short...take your expertise and find a few others to build an AI with.

The more work you do the more chance of success.
Attack with ferrocity. You are still needed. Even if it makes the future machines just that much faster. Just that much faster can save millions of lives.
1 second can cost lives.

>have an addiction to futurology and artificial intelligence videos
oh user

I want to agree with you but I can't and the reasons are simple. We're not there yet and in the interim the world still needs to work. We still need people to get up in the morning and sell our coffee and fix our cars. Your life has meaning even if you're the guy staying up all night waiting for the last people to come in at a motel because it's all keeping the world going till AI is here. If we all give up and study AI like buckethead says people will starve, go crazy without entertainment or donuts, crash their cars, and end up dead.

Even when AI arrives do what brings you joy

>I'm too scared of getting replaced because I'm typical.
Feels good to be neuroatypical with a unique neurodiverse mind that allows for inhuman innovation.

Thing is, you won't live to see full automation, so if you want to, get around to researching life extension, right fucking now. That's all that matters for you and the rest of this generation.

>Watching pop-sci tier AI videos
Implying you have any idea what you're talking about. You don't understand AI or your field if you think that you will be magically replaced within a few years.

Your precious AI apart from theory needs a hardware to run on, so related jobs (materials, physics, EE) should be even more important. It would be nice to be able to try many current algorithms on a large scale and build very large NNs without needing some supercomputer in a lab.

this, except you won't live to see radical life extension either. we will be remembered as one of the last generations of cucks before shit got real

> uses "artificial intelligence" unironically
> calls other people brainlets

GODDAMN that's good drawing

Imagine being such a brainlet that you watch some shitty popsci videos and now you're convinced we're about to create AGI any day now.

What do you think of the complete automation of the service industry. Do you think the higher minimum wage laws woth force companies to switch to robots. There are already hotel in japan with robot receptionist.

Oh my fucking lord.

Stop with this AI garbage.
It's not going to happen. You can't reproduce conscious decision through 'if' statements.

It's not fucking happening. They've been trying this since the seventies.
Programming is just signal processing.

Im not talking about ai i
im talking about automation. Like having machines with button you press. And a food assembally machine instead of cooks.

>they've been trying it for 40 years therefore it will never happen
are you retarded?

your brain is a signal processor

They haven't done anything.
All these algorithms and languages about recursion and whatever.
No one uses Lisp, it's an awful language.

Forty years of what? Programming hasn't really changed much.
The hardware hasn't changed much on a fundamental level.
Circuity hasn't changed at all.

There's no AI. It's not happening in the way that people think.
It's marketing. When you hear Google talking about some big server that will process the world's wants and searches and form its own decision, it's still very rudimentary effort they're talking about.

So don't worry OP, you're all good.

Yeah, but your brain isn't the conscious aspect of yourself.
It's just a CPU. Just talks to the body.

You want to truly unleaash the beast?
Give the algorithm a random number generator at generous intervals when targeting information derived from sensor data based on a rapid probabillity algorithm in turn based on trigonometric approximations.

That doesn't make any sense to me.

Translation:

Speedy thing that eats information faster than your eyes and spits out viable useful data for machine learning and evolution.

>machine learning with random number function calls which are ultimately pre-determined

Okay.

As someone researching AI this person is right OP. Marketing is the key word here, AI is one of the most over-hyped, memed, marketed fields out there.

I could go on a full rant about how badly everything in the field is named. AI is not intelligent, Neural Networks have no similarity to neurons, genetic algorithms are in no way similar to evolution.

This isn't a value judgement, these fields are very useful. But don't be worried that AI will replace your job.

Although it does look memey. The advances like face recognition, and iPhones...Whew...they seem to be getting better and better.

I honestly hope to see most things automated in my life time, much like self driving cars. What is the world going to become?

Want to know a secret? The tech is all secretly shit.
I'm honestly amazed phones even turn on.

You could learn how to make a self driving car in 4 weeks.

This is Veeky Forums, not /x/.

Go away, mong.

Please make one for us, user.
It better not be shit, and it should obey all laws.
Thanks.

how do you start researching life extension?

It is a metaphore for how many hours and white sheet tears go into crafting a proprr artificial intelligence. The "Soul" of it in this case being the mathematical principals imbued into its circuitry.

gerontology. It's a real science. I went to a school that specializes in it. (I didn't take it though)

Recently there have been alot of antivaccine people not vaccinating thier kids or dogs. What would you think of compulsory vaccines and also what indirect ways do you think they could be done with. Bioplastics/water supply/air/ coatings on public surfaces.

>he fell for the fear-mongering

Imagine being such a cuck that you want self driving cars to become a thing

I live on a corner in a busy intersection. There is literally a car accident every week. Not to mention I would hear less fucking trucks and motorcycles speeding. HOLY SHIT that's annoying.

Keep on studying, the Kali Yuga will soon end and modernity will cease to exist

>due to Artificial Intelligence videos.
Dude.. you sound like one of those Tech Singularity Gurus. Even the BEST robot in existence can not clean a toilet, mow the lawn and cook a meal... something any 9 year old can do. You have LOTS of time before anything even close comes about.

Did you just get your driver's license? There's nothing special or fun about driving, it's just a nuisance and a hassle .

I'm really looking forward to self-driving cars, too. Fewer people dying in car accidents! Less lost resources due to lost cars!

Yeah, the naming is stupid. You underestimate the technology though. At this point all OP will be doing (and everybody for that matter) is finding ways to collect data for some algorithm to do all the analysis. Humans will no longer be technically "discovering" new things.

Instead of just wait the AI steal your Job.
Specialize in Computational Chemistry.
To Make AIs which will steal your colleagues jobs.
while you keep developing AI s as your new Job.

no matter how far AI will get, people educated in a subject will always be required to least work with the programmers who design the AI and verify the results that a computer will get.

AI can design its own hardware

This, but there is literally nothing we can do about it. We're all gonna be murdered so that mark suckerberg can fly off into the cosmos.

General AI will happen,but before that we will havev specialized tool AIs. Chemists will use AI helpers to do chemistry. Doctors will use AIs to do medicine.

This will likely shrink the job market for these jobs dramatically, but they won't go away completely for the time being.