Have you ever bought a multi-volume set? What sets are relevant for a personal collection?

Have you ever bought a multi-volume set? What sets are relevant for a personal collection?

No. I don't know.

P E N I S
E
N
I
S

Bought this.

Timestamp with dickpic.

You don't believe that I bought it?

Maybe babe

Beautiful. Would buy if it were KJV.

My sets are mostly ancient stuff. A few full Loeb sets (Plutarch's moralia, Dio Cassius, Dionysius, Pliny's natural history are the bigger sets), Gibbon's decline & fall, box set of Greek tragedy.

He did. He posted a "what's in the box?" thread a week ago. Still a waste of $250

Not me. Somebody else must've got it.

And I got it for $114 from Amazon in December.

I own Major British Writers - a two volume anthology.

There are several multi-volume sets which I want. I like collecting collections.

Nice. ESV is a solid translation.

That's a nice set! I have the greeks, the reformation, rousseau, and age of faith. Got one of them free, slight mold damage. Durant unironically uses neat phrases like darkest africa and mahumedans and what not.

Easwaran's own 2007 translations of Indian classics are very well done: the Bhagavad Gita, Dhammapada, and Upanishads. His translation of Upanishads, especially, is a good reference for the eastern idea of individuation.

Campbell's Masks of God is a four volume work of comparative mythology that will get you pretttty much up to speed on the origins of human religious belief and how and why it diverged with human populations. Reading it may give you an idea where belief belongs in man's increasingly technological future (inb4 in the trash, you simpleminded atheists).

>I got it for $114 from Amazon in December.
buying yourself a Christmas present; it doesn't get much more parsimonious than that

You sold me on the Campbell.

How much of it have you read? Would you recommend?

>buy something in December
>"hue hue why did you wait until Christmas are you poor or something"

I'm not even him but goddamn nigger you are retarded

no cause theyre whack

patrician translation

Ya know, after I posted it realized that I meant to say avaricious, but didn't think anyone would notice. It was a jovial post about buying yourself a gift in December, faggot.

>It was a jovial post
it was a japing jest
it was a merry mendacity
it was a jocular joke
it was a humorous hack
it was a disorderly discourse

>It was a jovial post
are you SURE that's what it was?

Good, they're worth it. If you're feeling spendy, add something like Susan Blackmore's The Meme Machine or Girard's observations on mimetic desire. Masks of God is great, but it was written before anyone was studying how ideas are transmitted.

I got the "great books of the western world" collection at an estate sale for 20 bucks

for about ~45 dollars I got a 24-book set at a small bookstore: The Science Fiction Book Club's top 8 SF novels from the 50's, 60's, and 70's

also have a 4-volume 'History of the English Speaking Peoples' but that's about it. There's a great deal more I'd like to have though

>Bright as fuck colors
>Each book has completly random colors
>Colors don't fit together, what's more they are sometimes on the complete opposite on the spectrum
>White title on light grey
>Looks like shit visually
Who designed this? It hurts my eyes.

"Eighth volume. What color are we gonna make it?"
"Let's make it red."
"The ninth?"
"White."
"And the tenth."
"Red."
"OK, another red... and the last?"
*5 minutes of silence*
"Red again."

I bought this three volume anthology of academic papers on Umberto Eco for dirt cheap second hand. More pleasant than manually downloading each individual one and reading them off Sci-Hub.