Live into Washington DC

>live into Washington DC
>friend invites me to participate in a book club
>we're deciding next book
>the most important metric is whether the author is a woman or "person of color"

Other urls found in this thread:

meetup.com/The-Russian-Lit-Book-Club-of-DC/
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Well happy reading there are good books that aren't by white men so Ill think you'll be ok

I had a similar experience except all the books were shit tier fantasy and science fiction.

yeah all these retards love Harry Potter and similar books

I also live in DC. why does this place suck so bad? it's like a weird mix of super stuck upness mixed with weird forced southern hospitality mixed with extreme gossipy garbage people mixed with horrible yolo swag rap culture.

government jobs do not inspire.

it's a transplant city full of compulsively political people
everyone thinks they are cool because of their actually uninteresting jobs

so I also definitely suck then. :(

If it makes you feel any better all of Appalachia despises you for having money and acting superior to them.

>it's a transplant city full of compulsively political people
>everyone thinks they are cool because of their actually uninteresting jobs
DC suburb fag born and raised. This is 98% percent true, but if you leave the city and go to MOCO or NOVA there are a lot of cool fucking people who read.

That's your fault for 1) living in D.C. 2) joining a book club 3) doing both at the same time

d.c. has some of the most pozzed people in it, fucking far left retards but without the intellectuality to converse about theory and literature like you get with actually worthwhile leftists, so you're just stuck with bottom of the barrel democrats with no culture. Garbage place

But are any of them good? By person of color they mean black.

Was at a bar with my lit buddy a few weeks back and the bartender was talking politics, and explaining that DC votes blue "because we're such an educated city." Yeah, that's gotta be literally the oooonly factor.

OP if you're still interested in a book club, and are okay with a region-specific one, check out these guys for Russian lit: meetup.com/The-Russian-Lit-Book-Club-of-DC/

I was a member for a few months. The book picks are solid, often with big name authors (but usually their more minor works), and some lesser known Russians as well. I stopped going because the pace was a little slow and I just don't like feeling obligated to read a certain book at a certain time, but the club is great. Lots of native Russian speakers reading in the original (including the head of the club, who vacations in Russia every year I think). There are a few dumbfucks and some plebs, and sometimes the discussions are really elementary, but enough people know enough Russian language, history, and literature to usually elevate the discussion to a respectable level.

Or you can be like me and read alone while your gov worker friends badger you, "why do you even bother reading that?" and the guy working at second story books makes fun of you for not knowing ancient Greek like he does and the girls you thought would suck your dick for being a
"reader" are all plebs reading pop history who make you want to be celibate.

All the Greeks and Romans would be surprised to find out that they are white.

Also, St. Augustine was African.

Otherwise, get them into good medieval Arab shit. Like Hayy ibn Yaqdhan, by Ibn Tufail. Great fucking read, and it would allow all your friends cream their pants because he's a Muslim too.

>muh "white men are evil and oppressive" narrative
>"B-BUT REMEMBER THAT RACES DON'T EXIST!"

Fuck off.

>pop history
W..what do you mean by "pop history?" I don't want to be a normalfaggot.

All of the books for the One Book, One NYC bookclub program are all about "muh cultural identity."

I have no problem with books about cultural identity. But I do have a problem with the way SJWs have made identity the only acceptable way to evaluate literature these days.

Commander in Cheese: How 5 Presidents Changed the Way We Think About Pizza

>MOCO or NOVA
lmao get the fuck out of here these places are even worse

Yes

I think One Thousand and One Nights would be a great book club read. Plus it plays into muh Islam.

>NOVA
>cool fucking people

top kek, that's one of the worst strip-mall suburban hells in the country

Junot Diaz is bretty gud. Not sure about the rest of those.

this 1000 times

>DC native born and raised

Everyone who's not in the same boat is a transplant, you know? Everyone is a fucking transplant. The people who stay around long enough eventually move into the 'burbs. Liberals invaded my city and ruined large parts of it, what with their gentrification and faggot degeneracy. Even worse, yet, is that they think its "their" city. Where were they when the DC Sniper was around? Or when 911 happened? Where were they in the '90s during the crack wars? This isn't "your" city, you faggots. Once Trump cuts down on federal hiring, you'll be forced to leave. Fuck. Why did this have to happened? A large part is Obama's fault. I can't afford to live here, at least not in the nice parts like NW, because of all these fucking transplants. They're fucking cancer.

Anyway, start your own bookclub, you pseud. I'll join it, so long as we don't have to read garbage like DFW or Pynchon.

God, reminds me of Silicon Valley.