What is the best language to learn? For both literary and career purposes. I'm 18 years old...

What is the best language to learn? For both literary and career purposes. I'm 18 years old, I already know two languages (English and my country's native language, which is quite useless). I want to learn another one ASAP. What language do you recommend bros? I want a language that is moderately easy for a native English speaker to learn, that has a lot of quality literature available, and can benefit me in my future STEM career (though this is not as important as the literature). Thanks

Why does that alien have bun on its head?

French or Italian. They share a good chunk of their vocabulary with English, but their grammar will be tricky.

If you feel patrician: Latin or Greek.

just learn english better, it's the only language that matters. maybe japanese once you've mastered english.

Also learn Russian. It is not easy for Native English speakers and it will not help you in STEM but I find it pleasing to my subjective tastes, and since I am god and you and your post were both created by my imagining you, you are willed towards it.

Spanish is pretty easy for an English speaker to pick up. Decent literature: bolano, marquez, borges. Good starting point for Latin and Italian which are also pretty Veeky Forums.

Could be helpful in STEM seeing as America's tech hub is in central / southern California.

What the fuck is your native language?
Never seen a one that is totally useless.

German

How do you account for involuntary pain, Mr. Solipsism

-t. great deceiver

ANCIENT GREEK

French. Because French qts are a gift from God and humanity doesn't deserve them.

Also, French literature is great but it's more for the women.

Latin is a good stepping stone for all the other romance languages.

If you want an intro to learning languages, Esperanto might be an easy grammatical introduction.

Deutsch

>easy for a native English speaker
French, German, Dutch

>that has a lot of quality literature available
Lowers it to German and French

>benefit my future STEM career
German it is

>I want a language that is moderately easy for a native English speaker to learn,
Frysian.
>and can benefit me in my future STEM career
Mandarin.
>that has a lot of quality literature available
Nigerian.

How does German benefit his stem career?

>and my country's native language, which is quite useless
and but so to put it simplier, you're cancer

It's one of the most widely spoken mainland European languages and Germany is one of the biggest scientific (engineering) hubs in the world.

How does learning a monkey language like Spanish or Russian benefit a scientist is the better question. The recommendations ITT are shit.

Germany is in the center of Europe. Its location makes it attractive for tech companies and scientific studies. German is also spoken in Switzerland, Austria and Belgium. All central European nations and major scientific and technological hubs.

>a monkey language like Spanish or Russian how does it benefit a scientist muh scientist
>one of the biggest hubs muh biggest

>scientific (engineering)

stay casual bro

Calm down, Hans

Greentexting and adding 'muh' is not an argument. Stay assblasted.

Du hast das vermisst:

>>scientific (engineering)

>stay casual bro

Not so much in Belgium. It's a decently popular second language, but no more so than in the rest of Europe, and only 0.5% speak it natively. Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, and even Italy would all be more at home on that list.

Vermisst doesn't make sense in this context, step it up Stinkstiefel.

It's verpassen, not vermissen. And there's nothing of value in your green autism.

Seconding this.

Don't bother. Deep data and AI is going to make instantaneous translations a real thing pretty soon.

>Italy
>Südtirol is still in filthy hands of pasta niggers
Don't remind me, bro.

Spoken like a man who has no idea about either deep data or linguistics. Translation problems are here to stay until next disruptive breakthrough.

I did a report involving these pictures of Nigerians owning hyenas in 7th grade

Were talking about languages as to read a book in their vernacular, not career options.

>and can benefit me in my future STEM career
Read OP's question before shitposting.

I would go for German if I had the time to learn a third language.

Lots of literature and a good choice career wise (engineering).

Arabic.
worth it to understand quran.

Also for STEM part you can try applying KAUST. they have lots of research fund, and since that place is in Saudi Arabia, at least Arabic is useful.

The arab world is literally a fucking desert when it comes to science.

I support German. Literally the only relevant European language in STEM beside English.

Russian, then German.

What's the story with this pic?

Some nerd got a shitty haircut, the end.

This.
French and Italian literature and poetry is worth learning at an academical level these 2 languages.

Latin and Greek will make accessible the most influential pieces of literature and poetry in existence.

If you're into philosophy it makes sense to learn Deutsch too, but the German canon is way more limited when compared to the French and Italian one.

>It's one of the most widely spoken mainland European languages
Russian has more than twice the number of speakers as German. Sorry but it is not 1945 anymore.

Try reading the whole post before replying.

Care to say What you think I got wrong?

>italian
>career

Go for Spanish or French

pls don't troll

Educated Germans already speak English though, so what's the point?

If you want a balance between literary richness and usefulness, go for Spanish or French. Spanish is more diverse and interesting in its literature with all the diferrent voices in Latin America and Spain, and of cousre, is he second most spoken language in the world. Don´t let these americans undermine the greatness of this language because all of they think is their mexican inmigrants (which is sad, because Mexico has a very rich literature)

It might be useful to read al the scientific papers that are written in german, which are lot

learn finnish for the memes

All the modern relevant scientific papers are published in English. The only things in local are national history/language/culture research. Also:
>read the scientific papers meme
You're not going to do that unless you're in research yourself, stop being delusional.

Japanese is the best
its difficult to learn, but there are a lot of good literature

>Spanish is the second most spoken language in the world
That isn't some variant of Chinese.

But if you are into research it is relevant to be able to speak the language of the place where the research is done.
Also its easier to learn a language which you can use, in Europe German is a useful language and i regret not learning it in school.

Chinese is a meme

OP here, I will go into research. I will also live in the UK soon

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001