Is the life of Odysseus's dog, Argos, the saddest story in the history of literature?

Is the life of Odysseus's dog, Argos, the saddest story in the history of literature?
>Waits 20 years for his master to come back
>So old and mistreated that he can't even lift his head
>Finally sees his master again after all that time
>Master doesn't even come over to give him a pet
>Dies on a pile of shit.
I usually read analytically so this stuff doesn't affect me, but goddamn it this really got to me.

Anyone else get bummed out by this? Got any other literary moments that tugged at the ol' heartstrings?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4c1X5ene8&ab_channel=originalseeker
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>anyone else got bummed out by this?

probably not, since discipline doesn't generate electricity

Cool. Thanks for that insight

The horse dream in C&P made me cry

Have you asked yourself why Homer included this in his work?

King Lear's last words and the way he died.

When Leopold Bloom remembers his son dead and how neither him nor Molly feel any pleasure from sex.

I have.. My thoughts were:
1. The dog is symbolic of the condition of Odysseus's estate since he's been gone.
2. It's a touching scene.

The road when the man dies. I've never cried at a book or movie until then.

>As they were speaking, a dog that had been lying asleep raised his head and pricked up his ears. This was Argos, whom Odysseus had bred before setting out for Troy, but he had never had any enjoyment from him. In the old days he used to be taken out by the young men when they went hunting wild goats, or deer, or hares, but now that his master was gone he was lying neglected on the heaps of mule and cow dung that lay in front of the stable doors till the men should come and draw it away to manure the great close; and he was full of fleas. As soon as he saw Odysseus standing there, he dropped his ears and wagged his tail, but he could not get close up to his master. When Odysseus saw the dog on the other side of the yard, dashed a tear from his eyes without Eumaeus seeing it, and said:

>'Eumaeus, what a noble hound that is over yonder on the manure heap: his build is splendid; is he as fine a fellow as he looks, or is he only one of those dogs that come begging about a table, and are kept merely for show?'

>'This dog,' answered Eumaeus, 'belonged to him who has died in a far country. If he were what he was when Odysseus left for Troy, he would soon show you what he could do. There was not a wild beast in the forest that could get away from him when he was once on its tracks. But now he has fallen on evil times, for his master is dead and gone, and the women take no care of him. Servants never do their work when their master's hand is no longer over them, for Zeus takes half the goodness out of a man when he makes a slave of him.'

>So saying he entered the well-built mansion, and made straight for the riotous pretenders in the hall. But Argos passed into the darkness of death, now that he had fulfilled his destiny of faith and seen his master once more after twenty years.

Odysseus wanted to say hello to his doggo but he couldn't blow his cover.

>I usually read analytically
What an elaborate way to let us know you're a pleb

>I love reading, it's like I'm being transported to another world! It's sad when the book ends though, because I have to say goodbye to all my new friends :(

one of the most sympathetic characters in history

anyone with a dog should cry

>Odysseus wanted to say goodbye to his doggo
>But he couldn't blow his cover

Is Futurama Veeky Forums?

That swiftscene ouside the bar, the vision of his dead son with a little lamb peeping out of one of his coat pockets-- how he'd be now, if he were alive, yet in a way that no living boy could ever be. If that image was the nucleus of an atom, love would be the electrons. Good show.

If I remember correctly he started wagging his tail for the first time in years upon recognizing his masters return. So he died happy. After years of mistreatment and sadness he could finally die in peace knowing Odysseus was alive and back home. Would be sadder if he died sad and hopeless one day before his return.

He was disguised

Is Eumaeus the coolest character in the Odyssey?

I don't know, maybe Penelope. The most touching chatacter is Telemachus, who wears the name of his parents mutual respect..

Probably the dog was already dead but Poseidon change his form just to fuck with Odisseus

It's the most memorable scene in the Odyssey for me desu

Fuck off, watershit

Nah but it's funny and good.

I will repost this here

youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4c1X5ene8&ab_channel=originalseeker

>Odysseus wanted to say hello to his doggo but he couldn't blow his cover.

That's the saddest fucking thing I've ever heard

Technically he saw Fry again. In the movie where Fry has a tattoo in his butt that allows him to travel in time. The second Fry got his hair burned and his voice changed because of the smoke but his dog recognized him, and he lived in the pizzeria with the dog.

By far the stupidest part of the entire story

Homer was really dumb as fuck in his arbitrary timeline that made Odysseus stuck on ogygia for 7 years. He just as easily could've been there for 3 years and no story element would be changed and would be easier to believe a dog living to be a little over 17 than living to be in excess of 20 years old. Shit, my dog was 17 when it died, but a 20+ dog in 1000 BC? Give me a break.

What a cunt.

This was a time when men were men, women women, and dogs dogs.

Same!

>This was a time when men were men, women women
how problematic
why do we read this outdated trash again?

Please don't respond to such awful shitposts.

>hurrrrrr look guys I took a shit in public!!1! Isn't that great?