Is creating a portal gun actually scientifically and physically possible...

is creating a portal gun actually scientifically and physically possible? I feel like it could be given the right conditions

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/NggUSbgRUhc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Anything is possible given the right conditions, but sometimes the conditions are impossible.

Sure, as long as we can make negative mass-energy.

So even if it's possible, it's incredibly far off.

sure but why would we create such thing? terrorist would have a field day with one of those

The portal gun itself isn't a very useful device. What's the point of being able to teleport somewhere that's already close enough to shoot a portal at, especially when it's very picky about what surfaces it'll work on? What's much more practical are the wall mounted portals that can switch between different locations seen in the early levels.

Aside from going to the moon, of course. I guess it would be pretty useful for that.

you can suck your own dick with a portal gun

>I feel like it could be given the right conditions
Sure, those conditions are that the portal is from A to A.

>What's the point of being able to teleport somewhere that's already close enough to shoot a portal at

>Rent an apartment in Tokyo
>Put a portal in it
>Put the other side of the portal in your house anywhere else in the world
Yeah, totally useless

The military applications would be big.

it looks gay and too redditey so no

Make a holoportation gun.

No.

Didn't Dan Simmons write like 10 volumes describing these ideas?

Are you serious. I could out a portal on the door to my room, and the door to my office at work and be there instantaneously. How is that not useful. There's no 'range' on portals. They only disperse when the user dies or the gun travels through a dispersement field.

>have Japanese strangers visit your house on a daily basis

Hmm

Implying you don't lock your Japanese apartment door when you portal through?

Of course, the real question is, if portals were possible...

A or B?

No such mechanism currently exists as far as we are aware. So the best answer we have is "No."

And it is pointless to speculate about how it would work if some mechanism was found until the mechanism is found and experimented upon.

Even if we go with a gravity bending space time approach, it would not be a 2d portal, but a 3d one, and would not make sense to be fired from a gun. It would not turn on when it contacts a wall, but when it collects all the necessary mass/energy. Not that we know of a bending spacetime mechanism that would allow for this in the first place. So even if you want to talk about this, it would not work anything like in the game.

youtu.be/NggUSbgRUhc

A

The cube is at rest, how would it be any different than dropping a plate with a hole over it?

A stationary cube cannot exit a stationary portal.

A