Why is Misono UX10 the best chef's knife on market right now?

Why is Misono UX10 the best chef's knife on market right now?

Other urls found in this thread:

thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-chefs-knife-for-most-cooks/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Idk you tell me

Because it cuts stuff while other knives don't?

I don't know. I've got knives that cut stuff and they're ok I guess.

Do you know how to keep it sharp?

k

Yeah, slicing motherfuckers like you!!

for like 20 seconds, I wish you people weren't 15 years old. I know you're all invalids, but just take some time off from being toddlers. please.

this fucker is just a sad bitch with nothing going on. beta faggot who got molested or something, i'm sure.

How can it be the best when it doesn't even have a blood groove?

A knife can only be as good as your maintenance of it and practice with it. You give the best knife in the world to some mong and it won't make a fucking difference

it will make a difference in how much he will hurt himself when using it.

"This food tastes so much better since you started cutting it with that knife instead of that other knife" said no one ever. Stop falling for le patrician knife memes.

just a matter of quality, you trolling retard. you're right, no one ever said a knife would make your food taste good, because that would be fucking dumb.

people wouldn't mind spending 200 on a knife because a really good knife is safe, comfortable (which is important if you'e using it every day) and makes your job 100% easier than if you were using a 50 dollar knife.

/thread

Only lousy cooks care more about overpriced equipment than what they can do with it. It's cheap compensation for sucking at what matters.

this is how it is in every hobby. those who arent actually talented will buy themselves the most expensive gear to convince themselves "then ill be good!"

see: musicians, chefs, bicyclists, etc

it's.. not even an overpriced knife.

my dudes, if you use a piece of equipment day in day out to make a living, it is wise to invest in your tools.

diminishing returns plays a huge factor in knives, but owning a few $100-$200 knives is crucial if you're serious about cooking professionally.

>8-10" chef's knife
>single bevel sashimi knife/slicer
>flexible boning knife
>paring knife
>270mm gyuto chef knife

maybe a cheap cleaver and bread knife to round out the collection

yes, and all those bicyclists need 10 different bikes as well. sometimes you want a smoother ride, and sometimes you want the bike that has a big black dragon dildo as a seat so you can look like the faggot you really are.

also most chefs that i know use throwaway shit knives and switch them out twice a week for freshly sharpened knives.

nice knives is not going to make you a better cook, and the only people who care are you and the people who are as stupid as you, which hopefully isnt very many people.

The UX10 is a legitimately underappreciated knife. It's a bit expensive and it gets overlooked because it's not some crazy CPM steel of the week but it's super easy to sharpen, takes and holds an outstanding edge, has really good geometry, feels great, and looks great (better in person than in pictures)

Yeah and pro cyclists literally just get a $4000 replacement wheelset handed to them by the guy in the support vehicle when they crash, you obviously cannot be good at cycling until you've curb stomped a set of 808s and abandoned them by the roadside

on second thought, buy that knife and then promptly use it to slit your wrists.

>10 bikes all for the purpose of riding vs a few knives that have specific purposes

that's such an inane comparison.. all those knives have different purposes, and most of them are uni-taskers used for specific purposes. i'm not even a fan of weeb knives or anything, i just want the proper tools for doing my job.

a decent knife holds an edge better, sharpens more easily, is weighted/balanced better, and will last you literally a lifetime if you take care of them.

knives have nothing to do with cooking.. they just allow you to cut shit efficiently and consistently. what kind of chefs do you know that use knife company knives exclusively?

sleep it off, mr "chef". you have to be showered, changed, and chopping onions again in 6 hours

>what kind of chefs do you know that use knife company knives exclusively?
I assume sellouts like Marco Pierre White do.

fuck off the only knives you need are

>chef's knife
>paring knife
>boning knife
>serrated knife

i mean i'd love to have a service like that for the house workhorse knives, but there's something to be said for owning and maintaining the tools you use to make your living.

sure.. i don't disagree at all.

but if you're working with raw fish often, a single bevel slicer is really nice.. a 270 mm gyuto makes brunoising/mincing/dicing vegetable a fucking dream, and it rules for filleting/skinning fish.

you absolutely don't need them but they're super useful

looks like mass produced garbage

>implying mass production isn't a good thing
you can feel free to pay $500 for a knife made one at a time in a garage by some LARPing neckbeard who heat treated by gut feel and probably spends way too much time thinking about The Rapture

personally I'd rather have something made properly using modern equipment. the product is better, it's cheaper, and you don't end up sponsoring right wing rural weirdos

Tis a nice bit of kit, I have a couple from rakuten that I got for 60 squids each
Swede stainless is pretty nice for ease of use, but I prefer white 1/2 for easy scalpel knives, and HSS like ZDP and r2 in most cases.
W/r/t most cuisines there will be no noticeable taste difference. A sharp knife in the right hands can work many times faster than the alternative however, and having a finely honed tool and the skills required is an enjoyment the likes of which most will not get to experience.
Also, try preparing fish for sushi with a vicnox and a sushi knife in w1 from a reputable smith
I work with plenty of professional chefs who use jap blades because they can use them bloody well
All you 'need' for western style cooking is
A big knife (200-250mm gyuto/chefs)
A little knife (paring/utility)
A 1000/6000 whetstone
Learn to use those and then maybe you can get some other things

Am getting more and more enamoured with cleavers, I have a cheap one from yoshihiro in 1141 that gets a medium bevel ( inclusive or so? Use it for most of my bulk prep (stocks, poultry, tartare, staff food) and even stuff like herbs and shi. am going to a japanese chap tomorrow to learn a little more about sharpening and hopefully taking the belly in

I like pic related.

And for all you idiots hating on people for wanting to work with nice tools in their chosen profession, why are you so butthurt? No one is recommending that a beginner purchase a $200 knife. I personally worked for years with a $20 Chicago Cutlery knife (which is actually not bad at all) until I finally decided to splurge. And yes, there is absolutely a difference. The balance is better, the shape of the blade is perfect for me, and most importantly, it holds an edge for quite a bit longer. I learned guitar on a $200 squire, and after years I finally dropped the cash for a used Gibson, which is an unarguably superior tool. Same goes with knives. If you're using something day in and day out to make a living, $200 is more than worth it. Suck it, fags.

Chicago Cutlery 25 years ago was actually a pretty good knife

Not so much today

Mac MTH-80

Rated the best chef's knife by The Sweethome

thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-chefs-knife-for-most-cooks/

Runner up: Tojiro DP

Also great: Wüsthof Ikon and Wüsthof Pro

Honorable mention: Global G-2, Togiharu Molybdenum Gyuto, Victorinox Fibrox

Mediocre: Henckels Zwilling Pro, Shun DM0706 Classic

CK newfag here,

Are there any cheap "all-around' knive(s) you guys would recommend? I'm looking for something that can do it all: chop veggies, poultry, meats, etc.

wow nice image, really made me reconsider fast food

this has been pretty good

got it at Ross for $5

also got pic related for $13 at walmart

Get a halfway decent chef's knife and learn to hone and sharpen it. You don't need to go super expensive, you'll get improved build quality, balance, and edge keeping on more expensive knives but your own work maintaining the edge matters way more than the quality of the knife in terms of performance.

is thataway, newfriends

bikes all for the purpose of riding vs a few knives that have specific purposes

bikefag here, there are in fact purpose-built bicycles, just as there are purpose-built knives.

>Mountain bikes are good at riding off-road, but they are less good at riding on paved roads.

In the same way that a bread knife is great for cutting bread but terrible at fileting fish.

>Road bikes are fantastic on paved roads, but they suck everywhere that isn't paved.

Just like how a paring knife is great for small tasks, but sucks for cutting large things.

>Track bikes are built for a specific set of unrealistic conditions and have literally no use when not in a velodrome.

Just like how a yanagiba is great for slicing boneless fish but sucks ass at literally any other task.

Sorry to be so pedantic, my cu/ck/s. My helium tank arrives tomorrow.

Wow you're totally right since the best guitarists in the world all play $50 guitars

Kys

I think his point is that an expensive guitar won't make you a good musician but a good musician can still play well on a cheaper guitar.

stupid retard muslim fuck

t. triggered poorfag who's mad he can't buy $100 knife with an EBT card

They have some decent knives. They also make some very cheap ones. Their cheapest ones have a terrible edge grind that I wouldn't want to use. The tradition line are pretty good for their price. They sharpen up fine, but don't hold the edge very long. The blades are so thin they have flex (I don't like it), and the wood handles are cheaply finished. They also are no-nonsense and, despite the cheapness, they feel pretty good to work with. I would prefer one of those to things like OXO puts out.

How can someone be bad at cooking? There's no depth to it.

it makes cutting your food to the perfect size extremely easier and that leads to you cutting things that way more often than you would with inferior tools.

As much as this guy annoys me, I've got to give him credit on how sharp he keeps his knives.

While mostly true, you won't find many who would choose to use the inferior tool, unless for some very specific artistic purpose.

True, but he just seems so incredibly douchey. Like nothing I've seen before.

Oh i agree that he's incredibly douchey, don't get me wrong. I just have to give credit where it's due with regards to his knife maintenance.

i like mine. very ergo.

What's the BEST knife type to dice onions? no other purpose, JUST for onions?

I'd take a chef's knife with a graton edge. Glestain would be my preference.

Those indentations on the blade don't work for all foods, but they are fucking god-tier for onions.

I didn't buy mine for that purpose, but goddamn does it work well. You can dice or slice onions and they still remain in the round shape; they don't even fall apart into a pile on your cutting board.

Get yourself a CCK cleaver, or a yoshihiro if you have 100 or so dollaroos
They can and will do anything provided you get a nice edge on them and put in the effort
Alternatively any gyuto in blue carbon steel, get it from rakuten or similar
if yr a lazy yankee git, a wurstie or vicnox and honing rod will do nice
Most important is edge maintenance, and cutting technique. For example I used my cleaver to fine dice tartare, destroy 15kg of veggies for stock, and slice fine herb chiffonades

Not a huge fan of europ chefs knives, is there a santoku version?

Oh autistic master of cooking katanas - tell me your opinion of Sanelli knives

You mean Misono Swedish*

DRAGON

If I recall correctly they do make a santoku style, but it's from their "home line" rather than the pro model like I posted. It will have a simpler handle. JAS and I will check.

Yeah, just found it here.

BTW, I have one of those utility knives with the offset handle, though mine is from the pro series rather than the home series shown here. It looks a little odd but it's super handy since it actually has good knuckle clearance unlike most small knives.

Got a Wusthof Classic 6" for $20.

recommend me a good Chinese cleaver for under $50

like most chinese cookware, cheap is usually still pretty good. it's a large, robust piece of metal that's expected to hone sharp rather than hold an edge, and the blade is designed for regular and vigorous sharpening without losing its shape.
just roll down to your local chinese market and find something with a balance that suits you.
if you have to buy online, most people i know not using hand-me-downs have something from winco's $10-$15 range and do fine with it; they tend to get put up as the "b+ best budget option" next to $300 a- memeknives.

I'm southern baptist, actually. And I have a measured IQ of 174 and a permanent Mensa membership.

What do you have? a crusty sock you hide between your bed and the wall so your mommy doesn't see? You're pathetic trailer trash. Neck yourself, mate.

Wusthof Ikon if you're actually gonna use the fucking thing.

Perfectly ergonomic and handle heavy so it feels like part of your arm.

At 58 hrc I feel it's perfect any harder and you get into diminishing returns.

Most of the Japanese knives are too brittle and fragile for real use. Spend more time playing with them than using them. And yes I own a lot of expensive Japanese knives.

My favorite knives are a 200th anniversary Wusthof carbon steel chef's a Kramer carbon and a 80 year old 12 inch Sabatier carbon that's extra wide and just a beast.

Had a mac ultimate chef's too that was pretty sick.

The custom Japanese knives are sharp but have horrid ergonomics.

If I could get a Ikon in carbon that's probably all I would use. Just the perfect knife profile and weight etc.

People might scoff at this but get an IKEA knife. They're actually really good for their price and since they're dirt cheap you don't have to worry about damaging them. Even Swedish michelin star chefs use them in their kitchens.