How close are we to terraforming a planet for future human habitation?

How close are we to terraforming a planet for future human habitation?

Why have we not started the process? Should we be concentrating our funding on Mars as the best possible option?

If so, why are we using resources on other areas like Cassini/Saturn and not prioritizing the future survival of our species?

Because it costs 60 fucking million Dollars to launch some food to the ISS. Spacetravel isnĀ“t cheap. There is no point in investing trillions into something and get zero in return, even in the long run.

Not very close at all considering we have never even visited anywhere. The first Mars mission alone is going to cost like 500 billion or more and they aren't even planning to land. We don't even know if it's possible since Mars gravity is so low and it has no magnetic field so any attempts to create a proper atmosphere might just fail. Even if it was possible it would take a million years and cost more money than there exists in the world. If you really want to live there then it's cheaper to just build some giant igloo

Why? So a Veeky Forums neet can feel "cosy" in space away from the "normies"
Grow up

>How close are we to terraforming a planet for future human habitation?
We talk about it. And for the next 200 or so generations that's about all we'll do.

Only paraterraforming (i.e. domes, underground .etc) is economically viable. The actual future of human habitation in our solar system lies in space habitats like O'Neill Cylinders or Stanford Tori.

This is one of the most depressing threads I've seen on Veeky Forums in a while

>paraterraforming is economically viable
Explain why this is true.
How is huilding a giant dome on Mars, with a near vacuum atmosphere, 0.3g gravity and zero raw materials on site economically viable?

I meant that it was economically viable in comparison to terraforming the entire planet to be Earth-like.

You realize creating another habitable earth-like planet would be literally the most lucrative investment that any human could ever venture to do, right. If there was one man who funded the entire project, he would be a demigod to the patrons of the planet.

>cost more money than there exists in the world.

can't the banks just print some more?

Actually we have started terraforming a new planet, it'll be really nice but we don't want any brainlets to come that's why we didn't tell you

>most lucrative
It is literally more lucrative, by several orders of magnitude, to look for gold by sieving through human shit.

>terraforming mars
And how the fuck do you suppose we give it a magnetosphere? Venus would be infinitely less impossible to terraform, leaving it at a nice level of "almost completely impossible"

Gold will not make you memorable my friend. A legacy does.

Plenty of Earth bound opportunities my friend.

Because we can't even achieve a unanimous understanding and acceptance of climate change (along with the role of various gases, materials and chemicals given the context).

Do you honestly think that we, who can't even repair the damages on our current planet, should even try to terraform another planet?

Are you out of your mind?

#REKT

>we can't figure out what's wrong with this one
>THEREFORE WE SHOULDN'T LEAVE
I find your conclusion questionable.
Perhaps terraforming another world would be a useful endeavor given your premises. We might learn from it.

We already have enough knowledge to determine what's wrong with the planet.

Most of the causes for the problems are our actions.

I find your lack of self awareness very alarming.

>how close are we
About 225 million miles.

We were a bit closer a few decades ago though. About .25 million miles closer

Nigga half the millennials can't even figure out what gender they are.

Gtfo with your progress shit.

super close. technology is making huge leaps at an accelerating rate. expect to visit mars if you aren't in your late 60's

>taking terraforming seriously
>>/x/

Don't worry, Gen. Z is reactively more traditional.

Geofag in the process of applying for phd projects next year. What should I look for if I want to do something related tp terraforming?

Death and Consciousness was a month long thread on Veeky Forums this year that was really depressing

>le based gen z meme

The ones who grew up on the internet and are a bunch of unironically edgy shitheads?