How do you make sausage and gravy Veeky Forums? It's obviously a fairly simple dish...

How do you make sausage and gravy Veeky Forums? It's obviously a fairly simple dish, but when I tried my hand at it it came out rather bland. Just used sausage fat for the roux, plus a couple cups milk and a some salt and pepper to season.

What the fuck is with you Americans. That isn't gravy it looks like fucking wallpaper paste

You may have needed some more pepper, but what you were really missing was some crumbled up bits of breakfast sausage, preferably a kind that's a bit spicy.

What kind of sausage did you use? You should always be using loose bulk type regardless but the best is Neese's extra sage, gives it a little boost of flavor.

>nutmeg
>red pepper flakes
>fennel seed
>more pepper
>herbes de provence

Lots of options but anything that makes sausage more flavorful will probably also help your gravy

>You may have needed some more pepper
This, and definitely use freshly cracked/ground black pepper if you aren't already. If you still need more flavor you can add a bit of sage, that's in most breakfast sausages. Perhaps use a bit of yogurt, sour cream, or buttermilk along with fresh milk. I've never done it but it would add more flavor than plain milk alone.

Literally is gravy by definition.

Just try it friend, it's quite good if made properly. I think you'll like it, and then we can both enjoy the food together and find other things to enjoy together and we can be happy and share even more nice things.

That beige ass gloop is made from meat?
What from, a fine cut of sofa loin?

It's made with sausage drippings, milk, and flour.

Also usually just salt and pepper, but other stuff can be added too.

>retard doesn't know what sausage gravy is

I know shitposters are stupid but damn.

Fry sausage, drain fat, make roux, add it, then milk, then salt, pepper and some hotsauce. not complicated. some people add nutmeg to compliment the seasonings in the sausage.

Sorry I'm not familiar with your "food" that doesn't exist anywhere else in the world

>drain fat

Nigga you fucked up bad

meant to reply to

If it's bland you need more salt and pepper, but you also need crumbled bits of sausage in it.

>that doesn't exist anywhere else in the world
It's not much different from Stroganoff gravy, or the gravy used with Swedish meatballs. You seem to just want to degrade American food (we have a lot of crappy food, I'm not saying we don't) and are letting it make you ignorant. Milk/cream gravies are not only done in America. Just try it and stop being such an asshole.

You realize the South of the US is like 100+ Million people and is a gigantic portion of a continent? It's not like it's obscure African food.

I know it's probably bait but this time I'm going to bank on you actually being an idiot

Yeah it was bait, but fucking hell dude you fucked up. Show me where the meat is in a bechamel

Butter is animal fat. It's literally just replacing the butter with sausage fat.

Well you said it doesn't "exist anywhere in the world" but I think you can make the argument that since you add things (like parmesan) into bechamel without anyone getting their panties in a twist why couldn't you add sausage too? It's literally a bechamel sauce with meat.

You never seen bechamel/mornay?

Something about rouxes give me huge gas and bloating problems. I hate it but I cant do them, no idea why. Store bought without flour dont bug me, and cooking with flour doesnt bug me.

Its a mystery.

This man correct. Used this sausage for my first attempt this weekend came out great. Use a fuck ton of pepper

Is it the butter? Have you tried using oil instead? Maybe you're using too much flour in your roux? If I have too much starchy food my stomach doesn't feel good.

I hate white gravy, pepper gravy, country gravy. they suck, good brown gravy is the way to go
I take my fried sausage out of the pan and add bacon fat to the sausage fat. and make a roux
more flour than oil
cook it on med-med low for like 5-10 minutes till its nice and dark
add two parts water and one part milk and whisk.
cook until a boil to see how thick its gonna turn stirring occasionally
add water or cornstarch slurry if you don't like the consistency.
add your cooked sausage and salt and pepper to your liking

the key is to get your roux dark, and remember the darker the roux the less thickening power it will have, so you might need more roux than you think is normal

>>suggests "good brown gravy" is the way to go
>> his "brown gravy" recipe contains no stock or wine.

So...you really meant "shitty brown gravy"?

I know what your issue is. But, unfortunately for you, I dont give away knowledge for free.