Is a Finance degree technically STEM?

Is a Finance degree technically STEM?

Are they even worth it if you like math but also happen to be a brainlet?

why are you having an identity crisis?

Education is a meme. I'd honestly make more money as a plumber, and the qualifications for that would have taken like 10 % of the time I put in my degree.

tired of wagecucking for shit pay

I don't mind wagecucking if the compensation is better. Quads

>Going to school for the money
Enjoy killing yourself in a field you hate if you even have the motivation to pass your classes lmao

is that what you do? sorry man : )

Fuck no

You can make a lot of money. That is literally the only redeeming quality about it. Not a respectable area of study at all

inb4 "ill be your boss one day wageslave". No you won't. You are not qualified to do anything of value in STEM research

I don't give a fuck about respect I just want to live a comfy life. Sure as hell don't wanna be anyone's boss if I can help it. I just want to be financially secure so I can travel the world to study whatever I want to study without the constant burden of potential homelessness.

Geology is the only science I'd truly want to do but I don't know how I'd make a career out of that at 25.

Finance is a terrible degree desu. Switch to accounting or actuarial science.
Unless you enjoy being a glorified salesman.

Accounting is unironically the most boring degree possible

Second this.
I do accounting as a peripheral course to my IT + Economics and Finance degree and it's absolute balls

Start looking into philosophy of economics and economics as a science OP, and get to Veeky Forums for some day trading if you can stomach a try.

>Geology
You can do well in the petroleum industry if like the idea of sucking up resources for the engine of society. If I were smart I would go into an industrial field like that.

This shit was on here yesterday for econ>finance but neither are stem. Maybe quant-finance>econ but thats about it.

t. Econ undergrad

Hey user I'm a physicsfag with an interest in finance, but I'm having a hard time finding good introductory books, have you got any recommendations?

I've been daytrading crypto since March and made a fat chunk of change thanks to Veeky Forums. That's actually what I'm using to fund my degree lol.

Get the CFA books used from some brainlet who failed.

Thats gambling not finance.

learn a trade then

>daytrading
>crypto
>daytrading crypto
toppest of keks my dude

If you like math why not study math?

No a finance degree is, at best, a social "science" field. I would not even call it that because you are aiming to work on Wall Street, but the only thing that you would start out doing is spending a heavy amount of work hours copying data onto excel for someone who's higher up than you. Look up the life of a beginner analyst and read a book like Liar's Poker to understand that the field is ran by nepotism and snake oil salesmen. You even posted a picture of Bateman, a psychopath who only got his job because his dad owned the fucking firm. Michael Lewis got his first trading job with a degree in art appreciation, but his family knew people in the royal family so he was able to rub shoulders with the right people.

Your boss will give you so much work as an analyst that you will soon find out that you will not have enough hours in your work day to complete it all, and you'll have to stay in the office over-time to complete your work. All the while knowing that your boss, who only had a leg up on you whenever he was an analyst because of connections, is in a bar somewhere making fun of you while simultaneously texting you some shit like, "Hey, have you completed the work that I gave you today?" fully knowing that he has given you enough work that you are still analyzing a company that he told you to work on three days ago. This isn't some autistic story that I just made up; it is a real thing that dominates the field.

It is the epitome of wage slavery, and if you don't burn out, can hide your autism, not fuck up any of your social or physical obligations by being a fat slob who makes fashion mistakes, and can keep your skills of being a human calculator up, then maybe you'll rise above the rest. If not, then you'll just figure out that nobody wants you in the front office and you will have to get a job in the back office where you are valued as pond scum in comparison to the people who make the deals in the front office.

I am not trying to tell you to not be interested in finance, but a degree in it isn't needed to make you successful in trading. Accounting will always allow you to put food on the table, but its main benefit in trading would probably be being able to use excel quicker than non-accountant degree holding traders. I would say a minor in economics, very good computation skills, a strong knowledge of stats, an autistic level of desire to understand finance & securities analysis, portfolio results that beat the market continuously, posting well documented commentary on your views of the market to the degree that websites will pay you for your views, leveraging a large amount of family & inheritance money to trade, and the ability to persuade other people to invest in you by breezing through a STEM field at a top tier school, are the only things that you need. The only tier that I see that's worthy of comment is being good enough at investing that you're able to start your own hedge fund without ever holding an analyst job within the field--think Michael Burry.

God tier would be to become a quant (good fucking luck brainlet), and then quickly create a quant hedge fund.

Any way to become a quant with PhD in ECE? It's not from Ivy League. I will probably never attempt to do this because I want to keep my soul but I'm just curious cause they make bank

Depending on degree structure it often is close to applied math

QF can always take more and more math phd and basically anyone that can do advanced math and code.But if the finance degree is not focused on math it would be useless also school name is everything for internships and these determine your first job prospects.

Also jobs are located in high cost cities and hours are long and often you are better off doing a CS degree for more balanced hours

Shut up phaggot

user nobody doing serious finance related stuff got a finance degree, they got a math or statistics degree

It's a meme

why do people who know nothing feel so compelled to blow so many opinions out their ass

>a finance degree means he's aiming to work on Wall Street

This is why Veeky Forums gets called a bunch of undergrads and high schoolers with no real world experience. OP just do whatever you think you can succeed in.

a degree is finance is mostly accounting with some "math" subjects like statistics and/or some intro level calculus/algebra courses. It will help you to get into the banking/financials services industry however you will not be able to apply for the really interesting jobs in these industries. So if you dont want to make big bucks or work on interesting things then go for it.

if you want to get lots of money and work on something you might actually enjoy then go for a CS, Physics, Maths or even Engineering degrees.

t. finance graduate working in a major investment bank.

I could always just get a masters in one of those fields down the line right?

Economics > Finance

this basically.
You can maybe pull a physics, but that's the lowest you can go in the brainlet scale for serious finance a.k.a. big dosh

over half od the people who pos on Veeky Forums are still in highschool

>graduate from university with marketing degree
>zero social skills
>zero soft skills
>no network
>can't hold a conversation properly

i doubt it, because I tried myself and for a masters in any of those fields(from a decent non meme uni) you need a bachelors degree to apply.

Wow!

>I don't mind wagecucking if the compensation is better. Quads

dam kid I think you broke a hole in reality with that post.

>Economics

lmao, literally the most useless "science" out there.

Corporate analysts dont get it as bad and the pay isnt as high but it is generally the same shit. The work weeks are just 65hrs instead of 90hrs.

This is Veeky Forums.
It is highly competitive to be the most bitter entity that this website can create from a precipitation of the lurking filth that is inherent to a collective demonstration.
Of course people are going to have opinions coming out of their ass; some people here put up their hobby as sniveling over an advanced or slightly better than average logical intellect and a little bit of performance ethics.

But the performance perfection in that post you replied to should aim to at least be peripheral to OP's career.

user I'm talking about after getting a Bachelors. I know at least from speaking with advisors in the University of Florida they will accept Math students into their finance graduate programs and vice versa. I don't really give a shit about prestige or anything, just want some 50-70k job out in South Dakota where I can become turbo Jew and live for pennies while having the money to constantly go out of state and do fun shit around the world.

how he did that.

Go for petroleum engineering or if you want to work outside of a major metro-area and on oil rigs you will get the life you want with time off because rotations allow for constant travel and money is better than 50-70k

I'm in the ECE department at UF. Every time I have to work with grad students who come to out department from another major (not ECE), they have no idea what the fuck they're doing and end up dropping out

>understanding the driving force behind civilization

>useless

same shit lmao

>Economics
>the driving force behind civilization

damn nigga study astrology

A finance degree is pretty much the very definition of "You like math, but also happen to be a brainlet."

HORY SHEET

Nuh uh its Friday

fucking wew, lad

>my anecdotal evidence is law

>calls quads and gets them, like it's on fucking command
We've reached a new level of consciousness, lads. I don't think my little brain can compete with this next step in human evolution.

>quads on a slow board
Wow, such a feat