>i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Chuck-Tingles-Complete-Guide-Void/dp/1544123817
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

female warriors ruin books

Hello /sffg/ I am looking for novels that involve secret military units fighting supernatural shit so far I have found the Joe Ledger series by Jonathan Maberry any other suggestions?

women ruin everything

Try those soldier books from Myke Cole they are pretty shit, you are warned

Time for charts

Are there any big buff females? None of this skinny twig shit that take on men three times their size and make stupid quips.

>book introduces a "european caliphate" in the opening

If I wanted OOGA-BOOGA MAGICAL MUSLIMS I'd read something published by Baen's D-list.

The Philosophical Strangler has one.

I think Vance has been relegated to that niche of an "author's author", where many SF&F authors who are popular today cite Vance as inspiration and love his work, but those same authors' audience never read him. Same thing is going on with Gene Wolfe: Gaiman, Le Guin, Martin, and I think Rothfuss praise him, yet he's still relatively niche.

I just started reading City of Stairs and when the female MC meets a general early in the book she gets described as being one of the "most muscular women she's ever seen."

>do you have your mother's bones?
The unholy consult when?

Anyone know any /pol/ tier fantasy novels?

Larry Niven, The Burning City.

Yea

"The art of the deal" by Tony Schwartz

amazon.com/Chuck-Tingles-Complete-Guide-Void/dp/1544123817

Pretty sure Aja in Red rising was described as being big, she's the strongest fighter in the trilogy and one of the main antagonists, doesn't appear until book 2 though.

In response to this

>mfw every time someone thinks they can take Aja and gets wrecked again

Vox Day's stuff

>These threads will never go back to how they were before r/fantasy raided the fuck out of it

>weave your tale oh ancient one

>three months into 2017
>still nobody to talk about Attanasio's Radix Tetrad with
>still nobody to discuss Xeelee: Endurance with
Woe.

Is his fiction really that /pol/-itical?

What's happening? I've just been reading newer books at random and they all have gender neutral, lesbian, gay and every other SJW thing just fucking ham fistedly injected into the prose. I read
>The Traitor Baru Cornomamt
>Ancillary Justice (read the series)
>Planetfall
I am now 100 pages into After Atlas when I read this:
>"Is Delaney male or female?"
>"Delaney is listed as gender neutral"
>"Is ze on any MoJ watchlists?"

I had to stop reading, I can't take it anymore. None of the books have been particulairly good, and the themes I mentioned are just covered in glue and slapped onto the story like a ball of trash masquerading as modern art.

Two of the books were written by women, which should have warned me off I suppose.

What do I do? Back to non-fiction? Start a race war?

Read old SFF.
It's not like you'll ever run out.

I've got Attanasio downloaded for you, just haven't got around to him yet.

>Theodore Robert Beale (born 21 August 1968), professionally known as Vox Day, is an American writer, video game designer, blogger and alt-right activist.
>SJWs Always Lie: Taking Down the Thought Police (2015)
>Cuckservative: How "Conservatives" Betrayed America (2015)

This is the first I have heard of the man, but looking at his wikipedia page it probably is

I have read a whole hell of a lot of SFF books. Predominantly scifi, so I can try older fantasy.

Become an kurt chobani ya little baby.

I'm trying but it's only me raging against the tide. You need to help me brother.

COSMEREFAG YOU'RE ALIVE!!!
I thought your racist pol ass was dead.

I mostly just shilled for Dune and called people phaggots if they disliked it.

But user, it's been months. MONTHS.
You were the chosen one.

Those books are 30 years old, I read them in highschool. I remember a nice librarian ordered me the last book because they didn't have it and I was
>a nice young man

Right now I'm reading novellas from selfpub bros so they'll review mine but I'll bump it up the queue.

>avatarcunt is back

Shit, you're right. Still, I've never seen them discussed on Veeky Forums, somehow.

Thank you for being accommodating. I barely remember the first book and you don't even need to read them all to get the full picture; the last book mostly has mild 'easter eggs' if you read the previous three. I enjoy the last three the most.

>and he only finds now that modern fantasy is shit
Read classic fantasy you illiterate fucktard - start with Book of the New Sun and a Canticle for Leibowitz.

Never post in this thread again about newshit.

Cosmerefag where were you? Did one of your raids go back?
I was asking for you for the past 4 threads.

>lesbian, gay
>sjw thing

I'm not one to say we "need more diversity" in novels and such but damn is having a gay protagonist really considered "sjw" tier?

It isn't. Unless you consider a religious deity being objectively real /pol/itics?

>SJWs Always Lie
>Cuckservative
Those are nonfiction/political books. I wanted to know more about his /sff/ stuff like A Throne of Bones.

BUT RIGHT WINGERS NEED A SAFE SPACE TOO, HOLY SHIT I AM SO TRIGGERED BY ALL THESE FUCKING DEGENERATE SCUM

Not him, but
>just fucking ham fistedly injected into the prose.
seems to be the operative phrase.

I'm sure you don't believe this but it actually isn't about the sexual orientation of the characters but how they act, often fetishised for straight white liberals to masturbate about how progressive they are than portraying a proper relationship.

>Dick in son

I've read both of those, my library has a new wall with sections for different genre, I just selected more or less randomly and all of them have this theme, not one or two, but 100% I guess I am just wondering if it is truly that predominant.
I have no problem with a gay/lesbian protagonists, but if you've read any of the books I mentioned you would know it goes far beyond that. They are central themes with patently obvious societal constructs in the books' universse created seemingly just for SJW reasons.

I think Ancillary Justice did it a passably well way tho

Yes.

The characters actions, but more so their dialogue are forced and unbelievable. It reads like a PSA about how to not trigger anybody..

no, it's just shit

Now I'm curious. What's the right thread?

Never posted in these threads so I don't know if this is a common thought but I"ll ask:

I don't get how in most fantasy universes, magic is considered magic. That is, if it was a part of their universe, would the citizens not consider it "natural" and part of the scientific world? In our reality we use the word "magic" to refer to otherworldly and supernatural things, but in fantasy universes, magic is a part of them, so they aren't so otherworldly anymore.

It is a common thought but it's never explored properly by people who bring it up, mostly because they equate magic with MP. If alchemical circles worked, and we could summon demons to do favors for us with them, we'd fold alchemy into our science, but astrology might still be considered "magical," e.g. most people don't believe in it or think it's otherworldly or supernatural, not bound easily by laws.

The best fantasy has magic be a strange, capricious supernatural force, that is not easily explained and can not easily be tamed. If you're going to have a wizard blasting away with fireballs you might as well just call it psi.

Are you opposed to the use of the word "magic" or to people going "oh wow that's very impressive and special i will not forget this" when someone does magic?

If it's the first then it's just a word to describe a thing like any other, a name
I would call electricity electricity even though it's part of the natural world, they might very well have given it some other name or called it magic, it wouldn't matter because it's just a name

If it's the second then what the wizard is doing is just still special, impressive and rare, like when I go to the circus and clap my hands at the Chinese people vaulting through the air even though they aren't bending the laws of reality and everything they do is natural

After reading the description of Baru I bought the book a while back on a whim. I have admittedly not gotten around to reading it yet. Is it so bad that it is unreadable? The premise interested me quite a bit and I'd be disappointed to learn that I bought a shitty book

>cosmerefag won't even acknowledge that I exist
An heroing

Most modern authors use both:

Uneducated conservative backwood farrmers: Magic is magic, spooky.

University/City dwelling progressive folks: Magic is science, fuck yeah!

And then you've got the fedora special: Religion is magic, hence why their petty charms work!

I started reading Ancillary Justice since Veeky Forums said it was good, and then the first chapter was inundated with "Excuse me, did you just assume my gender?" propaganda. Was this a troll recommendation, did I get meme'd?

>troll recommendation
This.

kek

It wasn't a troll recommendation, as explained in previous threads people feel the need to include and recommend women authors despite the fact they haven't read them so they don't know the good from the bad, which is why you never see them recommending McCaffrey.

That's some cognitive dissonance right there.

Nah, book is good. Weenies are just triggered because the main character is a lesbo.

>main character is from a society that effectively does not have gender because they're a hugely advanced space empire, character thus has trouble interacting with lower-tech barbarians from outside the empire
>"sjw propaganda" -user

>being an advanced society means the elimination of gender
>not sjw propaganda

didn't you know? Everything nowadays is sjw propaganda.

There really isn't any point, /sffg/ has been decimated, everybody left for discord, the only people left are redditors and authors that modify the rec charts to include their books.

>1 post by this IP

>"Please, mummy," he heard himself murmuring. "It's been so long I'm dying for a taste. I've been so lonely mum... Only you, mummy. Only you understand."

>He laid her across the great Ladrian emblem embroidered into Wax's coverings. "Wax is gonna kill me for soiling his sheets". His hands trembled as he fussed with her gowns, it's like his fear of guns all over again. His little brother throbbed so sweetly he feared he might milk his slacks.

>"You love me mum," he gasped. "You do love..."
>Her painted eyes had become drowsy, delirious. Her flat chest very unlike Chariss', heaved beneath the fabric. Somehow he could see through the many wrinkles that made a mask of her face, a nice face I might add that would be a great disguise someday, to the serpentine truth of her beauty. Somehow he could see the woman who had driven her many, many lovers over the years mad with jealousy, who had shown her son the ecstasy of secrets viewed from cupboard slits, as she entertained her lovers.

>"My sweet son," she gasped. "My sweet..."
>His fingers and palm found warm skin. His heart became a thunderclap. He ran his hand along her calves, which she shaved in the fashion of the Elendelians, then across her still-smooth thighs. He clutched at her groin, squeezed the haft of her metal mine.

I thought you autists said Sanderson was PG what the fuck you got me reading???

wtf is that even supposed to mean?

>I'm a mod so I can see which IPs are from which posts
>every new post means a new IP

>Being so new you use the Vanilla Veeky Forums experience
Jesus user, at least you aren't a phoneposter, right?

I enjoyed it well enough for what it is.
But seriously, don't read the sequels.

4chanx doesn't allow you to see ips.. does it?
After moot incorporated the functions(and I lost the extension link) I haven't used an Veeky Forums extension in 5+ years? Can't recall.

whoever the fuck told me to read The Night Angel go fuck yourself

easily the worst garbage ive ever read

>the only people left are redditors
>this post
really makes you think.

It enables you to see when new IPs post to a thread.

Well basically yes. A hyper-advanced culture that's mastered bioengineering would likely end up treating gender as being little more than an aesthetic distinction.

Of course that depends on if they don't branch down the path of turning themselves into self-replicating machine intelligences.

I'm still here :3

Lightbringer is better, not great but an improvement for sure.

Hrrrm. This is actually the cover of the last book I read.

To those who told me to read Elantris as my first fantasy book I wish one of you would have told me it was a meme before I actually went out and bought it.

Couldn't get through a third of it. The characters we not interesting, ya had goodie 2 shoes witty guy, sassy chick who is smarter than she looks, and deus vult. This is sufficient to describe the main characters.
The "humor" was cringe at best, boring at worst.

Is this how all of Sanderson's novels are?

Elantris is his first published novel if I recall correctly. Who the fuck told you to read that as your first fantasy book?

I asked at least 3 /sffg/ general threads before I bought it and that is what I was recommended the most each time

People usually say read emperor's soul if you want to get a feel for Sanderson.

Elantris is probably his worst.

I always thought the way to go was the Mistborn trilogy then the Way of Kings. I'm a big fan of his works but Elantris is definitely not the work to start with. He's even open about how it's not a good place to start. Not sure what those anons were on about when they suggested it to you.

His humor never improves.

I would argue it did improve, but it never really got "good". Easily the weakest part of his writing.

I hadd to put Way of Kings down a few times because of Shallan. Painful.

First book is good.

Is Neil Gaiman all he is hyped up to be? I recently borrowed Neverwhere from a friend who just hasn't had the time to read it. Is it worth the read?

This may be nitpicky but I noticed the protagonist for American Gods name was Shadow which sounds worse than YA tier shit.

American Gods was actually pretty good.

The Sandman is the only decent thing he's done.

I've seen lots of people recommend Sanderson but never Elantris, its easily his worst. Regardless though judging by your post you wouldn't like any of his other stuff or genre in general.

Wouldn't like fantasy in general?

I read Neverwhere and found it to be amusing but quite shit.

Can anyone recommend me some books where it's just an interesting story with interesting characters? read so much books lately and some of the heavy handed "lessons" and "messages" are starting to get on my nerves

The Discworld novels maybe? Bit comedic, but...

but?