What is the most recent sentence you read that made you pause for a moment in admiration

What is the most recent sentence you read that made you pause for a moment in admiration

why dont you start, OP?

>While thus employed, the heavy pewter lamp suspended in chains over his head, continually rocked with the motion of the ship, and for ever threw shifting gleams and shadows of lines upon his wrinkled brow, til it almost seemed that while he himself was marking out lines and courses on the wrinkled charts, some invisible pencil was also tracing lines and courses upon the deeply marked chart of his forehead.

"why dont you start, OP?"

Comments are owned by the Poster.

The quoted version of ""why don't you start, OP?"".

pls stop posting lewd girls

>"...Why shouldn't you suffer? I do! Will you forget me? Will you be happy when I am in the earth? Will you say twenty years hence, 'That's the grave of Catherine Earnshaw? I loved her long ago, and was wretched to lose her; but it is past. I've loved many others since: my children are dearer to me than she was; and, at death, I shall not rejoice that I am going to her: I shall be sorry that I must leave them!'"

I thought it was quite poignant because it put into words what I was thinking about my Great-Uncle, who died alone because no one in the family would go near him (he was mentally ill and hoarded his houses to complete uninhabitability)

Dutch's brow smoothed. "You have a point there."

I turned on her. "Are you condoning genocide?"

She waved her hand, then winced at the pain. "No. Not as such. Not in so many words. Not exactly. Well, yes."

"A rim of the young moon cleft the pale waste of sky like the ruin of a silver hoop embedded in grey sand; and the tide was flowing in fast to the land with a low whisper of her waves, islanding a few last figures in distant pools"

In my beginning is my end. In succession
Houses rise and fall, crumble, are extended,
Are removed, destroyed, restored, or in their place
Is an open field, or a factory, or a by-pass.
Old stone to new building, old timber to new fires,
Old fires to ashes, and ashes to the earth
Which is already flesh, fur and faeces,
Bone of man and beast, cornstalk and leaf.

>pls stop posting lewd girls

can't think of a single sentence, but I felt a bit emotional reading Something Happened when Bob's daughter tells him that he doesn't know how to be a father and he just spills over into this rant about everything he did for her growing up and how he always tried his best.

Where is this from?

todesfuge

Nevertheless, I accuse myself of:

-never having been tempted to throw everything away, but merely obsessed by a sense of frustration and of having sublimated all cowardice in theoretical radicalism

"She was indwelling in every board and stone of it: every fold in the curtains had a meaning (perhaps they were so folded to hide a darn or a stain); every room was a phial of revelation to be poured out some feverish night in the secret laboratories of her decisions, full of living cancers of insult, leprosies of disillusion, abscesses of grudge, gangrene of nevermore, quintan fevers of divorce, and all the proliferating miseries, the running sores and thick scabs, for which (and not for its heavenly joys) the flesh of marriage is so heavily veiled and conventually interned."

The Man Who Loved Children

More a bit of poetry :
>Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow,
>Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow.
>None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master:
>His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

AND IN THAT MOMENT... WE WERE INFINITE....

We shall make walk preposterous ghosts of the glories we once created-
Immodestly smearing from muddled palettes amazing pigments mis-mated-
And our friends will weep when we ask them with boasts if our natural force be abated.

Can you give me your comment in exchange for this one?

I hereby relinquish this comment in accordance with the law to be owned by Person who this post is in reply to.

"Now, if ends must first be given to us, in relation to which alone the concept of perfection (whether internal in ourselves or external in God) can be the determining ground of the will; and if an end as an object which must precede the determination of the will by a practical rule and contain the ground of the possibility of such a determination – hence as the matter of the will taken as its determining ground – is always empirical; then it can serve as the Epicurean principle of the doctrine of happiness but never as the pure rational principle of the doctrine of morals and of duty (so too, talents and their development only because they contribute to the advantages of life, or the will of God if agreement with it is taken as the object of the will without an antecedent practical principle independent of this idea, can become motives of the will only by means of the happiness we expect from them); from this it follows, first, that all the principles exhibited here are material; second, that they include all possible material principles; and, finally, the conclusion from this, that since material principles are quite unfit to be the supreme moral law (as has been proved), the formal practical principle of pure reason (in accordance with which the mere form of a possible giving of universal law through our maxims must constitute the supreme and immediate determining ground of the will) is the sole principle that can possibly be fit for categorical imperatives, that is, practical laws (which make actions duties), and in general for the principle of morality, whether in appraisals or in application to the human will in determining it."

To put it bluntly, I had felt ashamed about how easily I got bored when trying to concentrate.

The jew smiled nervously

I, user, do hereby relinquish all rights to my comment Number 9181022 to the individual (You)'d by this post.
t. user

Pls don't start posting lewd girls.

“Merry Christmas! the man threatened.”

What's this from

"*BBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP*
snnnnniiiiiiffffffffffff...oh yes my Judy....sssnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiiffffffff....quite pungent indeed...is that....dare I say....sssssssnniff...carrots i smell?.....sniff sniff....hmmm...yes...quite so my rabbit.....sniff....quite pungent carrots yes very much so .....ssssssssssssssnnnnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiffffff....ah yes...and also....a hint of....sniff....cheese.....quite wet my Judy....sniff...but oh yes...this will do nicely....sniff.....please my dumb bunny....another if you please....nice a big now....
*BBBBBBRRRRRRRAAAAAAAPPPPPPPFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPFFFFFF*
Oh yes...very good!....very sloppy and wet my little bunny....hmmmmm...is that a drop of nugget I see on the rim?...hmmmm.....let me.....let me just have a little taste before the sniff my dumb bunny.......hmmmmm....hmm..yes....that is a delicate bit of chocolate my carrots....ah yes....let me guess...pie for dinner?....oh quite right I am....aren't I?....ok....time for sniff.....sssssnnnnnnniiiiiiiiffffffff.....hmmm...hhhmmmmm I see...yes....yes indeed as well pie......hmmm....that fragrance is quite noticeable....yes.....blueberries with carrots I take it my deary bunny?.....hmmmmm....yes quite.....
*BBBBBBRRRRRRRRPPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTT*
Oh I was not expecting that…that little gust my dear….you caught me off guard…yes…so gentle it was though…hmmmm…let me taste this little one…just one small sniff…..sniff…ah….ssssssnnnnnniiiiiffffffffffff…and yet…so strong…yes…the odor….sniff sniff…hmmm….is that….sniff….hmmm….I can almost taste it my dumb bunny…..yes….just…sniff….a little whiff more if you please…..ssssssnnnnnniiiiiffffffffff…ah yes I have it now….yes quite….hhhhmmmm…delectable my dumb bunny…..quite exquisite yes…..I dare say…sniff….the most pungent one yet my dumb bunny….ssssnnnnniiiifffffffffffffffffffffff….yes…."

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

The Recognitions - Gaddis

His soul swooned softly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.

In short, James Joyce is the greatest author of all time.

Mil veces he advertido en la belleza,
gracia y entendimiento de Teodoro,
que, a no ser desigual a mi decoro,
estimara su ingenio y gentileza.
Es el amor común naturaleza,
mas yo tengo mi honor por más tesoro,
que los respetos de quien soy adoro
y aun el pensarlo tengo por bajeza.
La envidia bien sé yo que ha de quedarme,
que, si la suelen dar bienes ajenos,
bien tengo de qué pueda lamentarme,
porque quisiera yo que, por lo menos,
Teodoro fuera más para igualarme
o yo, para igualarle, fuera menos.

>And of these one and all I weave the song of myself.

Whitman is godtier.

Make America Great Again

This is pretty bad. And I was looking forward to Portrait of the Artist...

After careful re-reading I think I may have found the predicate of this sentence; it's "can".

I love Kipling. I knew i loved him and I didn't know this poem. I'm it's by him.

>In my beginning is my end. In successionHouses rise and fall, crumble, are extended,Are removed, destroyed, restored, or in their placeIs an open field, or a factory, or a by-pass.Old stone to new building, old timber to new fires,Old fires to ashes, and ashes to the earthWhich is already flesh, fur and faeces,Bone of man and beast, cornstalk and leaf.
I've been led to assume that Eliot is impenetrable without a substantial prior knowledge and understanding of poetry, but this excerpt is wonderful and it gives me hope.

I don't read. I pretend to read for the culture.

Amazing. I hope it's all like this. Looking forward to starting the Big Dick.

I really liked the last paragraph of Anna Karenina, which was the last book I read.

>He was neither deceived nor alarmed by the rabble's god, mere Quantity, considering that if you inflate it big enough the Matterhorn becomes as insignificant as a grain of sand, since the eye can no longer perceive it, and that a nebula in which our whole earth would be but as a particle in a cloud of tobacco-smoke is, (unless as a whetter of imagination's appetite), more unimportant than the smoke, because further divorced from life.

Gerald realized, with a sort of laugh, that every joke he had recently heard had been told by himself, to himself, and at his own expense.

Now you are free (I know too well)
To heap contempt upon my head.
Yet if some sparks of pity dwell
Within your breast you'll surely not
Abandon me to my hard lot.

>This is pretty bad
What is bad about it? I think its very nice. I would be surprised if a sentence you were able to write was half as nice as that one.

I'm fairly new to Eliot and his Four Quartets but they are absolute monuments of language. There are so many passages that leave me breathless.

It fits in perfectly with context

The last few lines of Psalm 4
"4:7 The light of thy countenance, O Lord, is signed upon us: thou hast given gladness in my heart.
4:8 By the fruit of their corn, their wine, and oil, they rest:
4:9 In peace in the self same I will sleep, and I will rest:
4:10 For thou, O Lord, singularly hast settled me in hope."