Alright, so I'm making wonton soup, but I forgot to buy spring onions for the filling

Alright, so I'm making wonton soup, but I forgot to buy spring onions for the filling.
Would leeks work instead?

Other urls found in this thread:

theculturetrip.com/asia/hong-kong/articles/the-best-cookbooks-to-teach-you-to-how-to-cook-like-a-true-hongkonger/
en.christinesrecipes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sure, that's close enough.

Probably the best thread I've ever seen on Veeky Forums

Leek will work great for the won ton filling.

Okay, I guess I'm just going for it then

Thanks you too

Wasn't joking btw. First time I've seen a reasonable question with a reasonable answer.

What's your recipe for the soup? I can never get a decent broth.

I'm not OP, but here's a couple:

If I'm feeling lazy I'll make a basic stock by simmering chicken wings, slices of unpeeled ginger, and green onions (whole) for about an hour to an hour and 30 min. That's a pretty basic Chinese stock.

If you want to get fancy then add dried scallops and ham. Ideally you would use Kim Wa ham but that can be very hard to get so a traditional "country style" ham will work too. Be sure it's the traditionally cured stuff, not what you'd get from a normal supermarket. I use Benton's.

monosodium glutamate and chicken bullion

Western-style chicken bullion isn't even close to the right flavor for Chinese soups. The herbs are wrong, and so is the "roasted" flavor.

just add some ginger and it'll work faggot.

Ginger is what I've been missing I think; mine is always missing that tang. Much appreciated

>Simmering chicken wings
Chicken wings have way too much fat. Please don't listen to this pretender. Get some chicken frames or you'll be skimming your stock for hours.

They're supposed to have fat. Wonton soup is supposed to have droplets of fat floating in it.

Not to mention the relatively short simmering time doesn't extract anywhere close to all of the fat in the wings.

So is stated in all four of my Chinese cookbooks.

>droplets
Yes, not 2 inches of fat. Do you know how fatty chicken wings are?

I've been cooking that exact recipe for years. Droplets is all you get.

>cooking for years
I worked in a chinese restaurant before, they use frames not chicken wings.
Enjoy your home cook recipes.

Frames work just fine user.

My point was that using wings does not make the stock anywhere near as fatty as you seem to think it does.

I want some of your soup, user. please gib.

Nah, chicken wings make stock extremely fatty, you just don't notice it.
A proper cantonese broth is supposed to be clear
(wontons are cantonese) there should be little to no trace of oil and the wontons are not to be cooked in the stock but in boiling water then cooled with cold running water/ice water and returned to the boiling water and into the broth to serve.

>Nah, chicken wings make stock extremely fatty, you just don't notice it.

How could you not notice it? It fucking floats on top.

>>A proper cantonese broth is supposed to be clear
Which it is. Assuming you aren't a retard and don't bring it to a full boil.

because the broth is hot, usually chicken stocks used in restaurants are cooled down and the tops of it are scraped off for use in other dishes.

>you aren't a retard and don't bring it to a full boil
Kek that's not stock any restaurant uses. If anything it doesn't extract any flavour of the chicken at all if you're going to slowly simmer chicken wings in water.
The fact that you're adding ham to it shows that the chicken is secondary to your stock and probably only there to add fat and not flavour.
Cantonese chicken stocks don't add any ham.
They add pork bones, flounder bones or shrimp.

>The lower leg of a chicken, commonly known as the drumstick, contains 5.7 grams of fat without the skin and 11.2 grams of fat with the skin on. One skinless chicken thigh contains 10.9 grams of fat without skin and 15.5 grams with the skin on. Finally, one chicken wing contains 8.1 grams of fat without the skin and 19.5 grams of fat with the skin on.

The chicken is literally the fattiest part of the chicken.

wing*

The flavor is great from leeks, but just be careful about using the toughest of the green tops on large leeks unless precooked or very finely minced.

If you want to make chicken stock for asian soups easily, and do it often, invest in a pressure cooker, then just keep your chicken in the freezer ready to go. A bit of ginger and onion is all you need, plus a couple peppercorns. That is basic, and can optionally also include cilantro, garlic and some kind of fish sauce or aromatic spices the further you go from basic. What is most different flavorwise about an american style chicken stock is the copious celery and parsley flavors that overpower. The roasted vs raw varies by preference, and neither is wrong. I love celery and parsley in other soups, just not asian purposes.

>fish sauce
>cilantro
>aromatic spices
>Chinese soup

Please stop making 'asian food' it's embarrassing

>because the broth is hot,

Fat floats even on hot broth, user. You'd still easily notice any fat that was present.

>>The fact that you're adding ham to it shows that the chicken is secondary to your stock
There are several classical stocks in chinese cooking.
Shanton broth generally uses chicken only.
Dintang broth is written with the characters that literally mean "top soup" or "best soup" and traditionally contains kim wa ham as well as dried scallops.

I wasn't claiming that recipe was Canontense, but it sure as fuck tastes good for wonton soup.

Nobody is denying that a chicken wing contains fat. I'm simply saying that there is nowhere near "2 inches of fat" floating on top after using wings. All you get are droplets, which is exactly what you should have.

Nice wiki skills user.

Nah, just stuff I remembered from watching the old Iron chef show.

I'm sure it's not on Wiki since I'm certainly butchering the romanization/spelling of those stocks. It's terribly difficult to find trustworthy information on Chinese stocks when searching in English.

I'm not really concerned about the classical 'stocks' of chinese cooking. There's no real 'classical' stocks. Those really sound like northern chinese cooking.
Wonton is southern chinese which generally has lighter stocks for soup and the other kind of heavy stock is done with double boilers and heavy bitter herbs like ginseng and cordyceps.

I think most of your cooking books are probably of northern or minan style with heavier flavours.

Generally cantonese soups do not use ham and use frames/whole chicken and/or pork bones with some form of dried seafood / fried flounder bones for flavour due to the coastal nature of southern china.
If you use whole chicken the chicken is then removed and the meat is used for other dishes like soy sauce chicken(chicken is dropped into ice water then into soy sauce marinade). The chickens are constantly replaced and cooked in the chicken stock deepening the flavour.
Restaurants generally have one vat of this chicken stock that they use for wonton soup and other dishes.
Well that's just my 2cents from working in a restaurant.

>I'm not really concerned about the classical 'stocks' of chinese cooking

Yet you keep mentioning Cantonese methods? It seems like you are interested in following a specific style.

>>I think most of your cooking books are probably of northern or minan style with heavier flavours.
Most are Sichuan, one is Canontese.

because wonton soup is a cantonese dish.

So it seems you are interested in maintaining tradition then, by insisting on using a Cantonese stock for a Cantonese dish.

Nothern Chinese Cuisine might as well be a totally seperate cusine imo. They don't use the same ingredients/spices/flavours/starches/techniques.

This is why I don't like the term 'classical stocks of chines cooking'. They're seperate cuisines.

Nah, continue enjoying your macaroni and cheese.
Keep adding fish sauce and cilantro to your chinese stocks and don't forget to drown it all in sriracha.

Well I don't enjoy my steaks with ketchup, do you?

>Nothern Chinese Cuisine might as well be a totally seperate cusine imo. They don't use the same ingredients/spices/flavours/starches/techniques.
Agreed.

>This is why I don't like the term 'classical stocks of chines cooking'. They're seperate cuisines.
Certainly. But my point was that adding ham to the stock wasn't something that I pulled out of my ass, rather it is a well known Chinese recipe, nothing more.

I'm not the faggot who suggested fish sauce and cilantro, user.

Anyway, , do you know any legit Cantonese cookbooks in English? All the ones I have seen are clearly Westernized. I'm not a cuisine purist, but I figure if you want to learn you start with the fundamentals before you start fucking with them. I'm looking for something like the equivalent of Fuschia Dunlop but for Cantonese.

Fuck no. I just thought it was contradictory for someone to say that they aren't concerned with classical stocks, then to insist that a specific one be used in this case.

I know about jinhua ham and it's use in soups, it just sounded funny to use it for a wonton soup base is all.

theculturetrip.com/asia/hong-kong/articles/the-best-cookbooks-to-teach-you-to-how-to-cook-like-a-true-hongkonger/

Anything from this list should be alright, as long as it's a cantonese/hong kong origin chef.

well all except the first one which focuses more on the southern chinese diaspora cuisine.

en.christinesrecipes.com/

this is also a pretty good blog for authentic cantonese style of cuisine, more homestyle than restaurant style though but has the right principles.

Just a note to remember, cantonese style
>steaming
>poaching
>no heavy spices or chili
>garlic/spring onion/ginger
>rice noodles or egg noodles
>sparing use of soy sauce
>more use of oyster sauce
>xo sauce is relatively new addition to this cuisine
>lots of leafy greens like bok choy
>very little use of chinese cabbage/radish
>buns are invariably steamed
>meats are roasted
>chicken is steamed/poached
>seafood
>quick rapid technique very few stewed dishes
>deep frying is a rarity

There are also dishes from other cuisines adapted to cantonese tastes generally cantonese feel that the use of strong spices like chili or anise/cumin are used to mask the lack of quality/freshness.

>walks into pantry