I can't thInk of another board to ask this besides Veeky Forums

I can't thInk of another board to ask this besides Veeky Forums.

How does one get into, and appreciate, ballet? Where does one start, who does one watch, what does one read?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4NufaurLuCw
youtube.com/user/newyorkcityballet
youtube.com/user/RoyalOperaHouse
youtube.com/watch?v=BZe0TFU75rI
youtube.com/watch?v=510WnZQUgac
youtube.com/watch?v=8yfc05m5k-Y
youtube.com/watch?v=CxIcpmkjjfc
youtube.com/watch?v=QTwJ9r-tKp8
desuarchive.org/his/thread/2146555/#2149563
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Youtube 'the nutcracker', also youtube 'swan lake', but before you watch those watch this, starting at: 45:00 (you really should hear the whole thing, its great, famous overture intro too... but unfortunately this video the sound is off with the visual... but its my favorite quality I found all else considered so I deal with it)(its not a ballet... its an opera... but there is lovely ballet scene... just... sacred, beauty and perfection, you will see, it is transcendently comfy, cathartic, peaceful, mellow, calming, pleasantly distracting

youtube.com/watch?v=4NufaurLuCw

well step 1 is being a faggot. Seems you've got that covered.

Start by looking - sorry, gazing - at the butt.

wheres his penis

Thanks, I'll look it up.
>Veeky Forums
>understanding the beauty of the human form

I don't really think ballet is the kind of thing you can get into by reading stuff. Just try to attend live performances, watch ballet movies, and check out these youtube channels:

youtube.com/user/newyorkcityballet

youtube.com/user/RoyalOperaHouse

The ROH channel is fantastic. These are two of my favorite videos:

youtube.com/watch?v=BZe0TFU75rI

youtube.com/watch?v=510WnZQUgac

>Just try to attend live performances, watch ballet movies, and check out these youtube channels:
Fair point.

In that case, what are the most important ballet stories? The Nut Cracker? Swan Lake? Anything else?

>In that case, what are the most important ballet stories? The Nut Cracker? Swan Lake? Anything else?

You missed The Sleeping Beauty. If you want a list of famous ballets you can just google it.
Music is more important in ballet than narrative, so if you're asking for recs, I'd need to know what composers or style of music you like.

Pleb though it may sound, I enjoy Mozart, Handel, Taneyev, and Mendelssohn

I can't offer much insight but I highly recommend Gayane. The Sabre Dance, a movement in the final act, is particularly great, but the whole show is wonderful.

Ballet's role was getting men to attend opera and watch beautiful women strut their stuff. It's a win win for me, I get to appreciate art and watch qts twirl.
Same goes for figure skating.

Start with Tchaikovsky and Mendelssohn. Read the libretto before watching of course. Don't cheap out on some shitty standing tickets in 3rd balcony. Videos are great, but being in theater is a much more powerful experience.

I can't imagine that every troupe out there is good. How are ones from big cities - I'm close to NYC, so that one seems the most natural.

There are better and worse ones - google before going. Googling is a must anyways, because every once in a while you get some pomo interpretation and instead of a magical tale you suddenly find yourself watching people dressed in latex and gas masks performing amid rusty scaffolding. This happens more often in opera and theatre, but even ballet is not safe nowadays.

Get a qt gf who is also a ballet dancer

>tfw I was once friends with an underclassmen qt polish ballet dancer with the best body I've ever seen
>She took classes a grade above her because she was also smart
>Talked to/did classwork with me because she was also something of a bitch and hated everyone else in class
>Had a bf, to my eternal frustration
>Once managed to sneak upskirt pics and get away scottfree,but I lost the memory card before I could upload them

None of this is relevant, however,

>Pleb though it may sound, I enjoy Mozart, Handel, Taneyev, and Mendelssohn

Mozart is 2nd GOAT after Bach, so there's no shame in that.

For Mendelssohn, there's Balanchine's version of Midsummer Night's Dream, see:

youtube.com/watch?v=8yfc05m5k-Y

There's some dance numbers in Mozart Operas, but they are not very ballet-like. Some ballet productions use his music even if it wasn't intended for dancing but it's kind of hard to find good video recordings.

I don't know who Taneyev is. For Händel, there's some good stuff on youtube, like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=CxIcpmkjjfc

There's also historically accurate productions of his dances, so if you're into wigs and beautiful garments you should check them out.

Finally, you should check out my favorite:

youtube.com/watch?v=QTwJ9r-tKp8

Watch The Firebird

desuarchive.org/his/thread/2146555/#2149563

Thanks for the link/post

Fit is the ultimate place of understanding human form.

They mirin aesthetics yo.