How important is it to you that your books look nice on your shelf?

How important is it to you that your books look nice on your shelf?

Other urls found in this thread:

westelm.com/products/parsons-tower-f285/
youtube.com/watch?v=n2JpCpqmqIY
amazon.com/Moby-Dick-Whale-Herman-Melville/dp/0520045483/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TJ8DGDAJBDN1QHXFN6VT
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's actually more aesthetic with a shelf where the owner doesn't appear to care about how the books look. Just tons of books stacked on top of eachother in whatever way fits, mostly with wear and a mix of hardcover and paperbacks. This "look" is much more impressive than some shining, sparkly new hardcovers stacked neatly.

not important at all as long as i can read the title on the spine

This is what my shelf looks like except with a couple beer cans. it's a 3-shelf thing and it's at capacity so I've gotten into the habit of stacking books in front of the rows. 75% of my books are from the used shop and there's no semblance of organization beyond author's works stacked together. i dont think anyone besides me has ever even seen my bookshelf.

but I do like shelves with a nice curated aesthetic. if I ever get a girlfriend I hope her shelf is cute. if she reads.

>implicating me in the ownership of shelves

why don't I just start a plantation in South Carolina, I keep my books in a big heap in the corner

Very, but I get counter-prestige from old paperbacks, particularly ones that have scuffs and marks. Bonus points if they're hokey, hard-to-come across editions with typographical errors, have yellowing or browning pages, smell weird or bad or make you sneeze from age, and if they have highly dated, non-tasteful cover art.

I carefully arrange them all along the floor and shelves of my room to make it look as if I just toss them everywhere and don't care about their condition, but in reality every aspect is planned out in obsessive detail, and I know where each one of them is and where I got them.

I carry them in the rain so they get water-damaged naturally and they dry with warped pages and little blotches that blur the words.

this

some series collections, like pic rel, can look tacky because they use some off country hillbilly patterns and primary colors making it look like i deliberately wanted my room to have that scheme. fuck no

fuck no

note the difference between a bookshelf and a display shelf. you can have both but nobody cares about how a shelf "looks" unless its in the living room or smth. anyone who knows a thing would care more about the actual titles rather than be interested in the outline of whats on each level.

i don't care, i lend/give away and get new books all the time so my shelf will never stay the same for long anyways. for books i'm carrying around or keeping on a table i usually design a custom book cover for them so they don't stick out so much.

but yea i love my bookshelf and there are ways to make it look cute if you care. or "curate a bookshelf" rofl

i don't have this anymore but i miss my parsons bookshelf. westelm.com/products/parsons-tower-f285/ (the example pics look hideous, idk who designed those)

now i have one which is white/glass and i like it :) can't wait to get parsons again in the future hehe

I just don't want the fuckin things to fall apart, and I'd like them not to look to gay, like those in OP's pic.

I could see women wanting those books, but a man? No way.

Go for Everyman's Library if want hardbacks that look good on your shelf.

Personally I don't give a shit about how my shelf looks like, except when I bought pic related.

I must admit it did make my autism flare up.

Not too concerned, really. I just try to make it look nice by separating the fiction from the nonfiction.

>a boxed set where the books aren't overly-snug in the box itself so you can pull them out easily
I wish publishers did this more often.

Why would they do this? Are the cover designers retarded?

I got these a few weeks ago and I get a boner whenever I look at em

I like having neat looking books

Perfectly arranged bookshelves are vain and only shows poor character traits to anyone who sees it.

This is why I started just dogging earring the shit out of my books and buying second hand shit. It's easier, cheaper and actually looks better on my bookshelf.

I read mostly ebooks/library loans and then collect fine hardcovers of the works I like and would reread.

Thread is funny with all the insecure autists accusing people of vanity and simultaneously giving advice on how to achieve 'teh true patrishun look'.

Not so much at the moment. I have so many books and films that there's currently no order and sometimes I stack films/books in front of other books or whatever. I need to organise it but it's a cluttered mess for miles. I may need to buy some new shelves.

> her face when she sees your complete collection of plato and pynchon on the same shelf and your david foster wallace in the trash because you graduated from diapers last week

>I could see women wanting those books, but a man? No way.
Plebhood knows no gender, I'm afraid
youtube.com/watch?v=n2JpCpqmqIY

very important since if i am paying money for it want it to be nice looking else i could just download an ebook and read it on a reader

Thats what i do. Just buy used books and put them in alphabetical order. Got them in a couple 30$ walmart shelves. I have only a couple of friends and none of them care so i just did what was easy for me.

Is that a novelization of Snakes on a Plane?

I wouldn't ever buy those tacky Barnes and Noble exclusive hardcovers.
Collectors editions are nice but I don't go searching for them. I almost always chose the cheapest paperback option. Oddly, I've grown to favor softcovers.
My shelves aren't in any kind of order except that books by the same author are mostly all grouped together.

this

My actual shelf has rows upon rows of ASoIaF and Eragon

My desk is a blob of Iliad and Bible and Poo S

Poo Songling*

Also this a thousand .

I miss Carl Eclaire.

aesthetic personal libraries are mostly determined by shelves and the rest of the room. the actual books don't matter beyond just not being extremely bad

The importance of a fancy, gold-edged hardcover is equal to the amount of disposable income I currently posses. Otherwise, I go for the degenerate paperback book each and every time. Being able to afford and read the damn thing is more important than it sitting pretty on the shelf.

Although I would be lying if I said I didn't want that Grimm hardcover.

Not at all. The shelves are there to hold my books and without getting them dirty and so I can read the spine.

I do like it in alphabetical order tho

Yooooooo, w2c that Moby-Dick?

you obviously don´t have ocd lucky you

yes it is. saw it at a the flea market for 50 cents and nearly toppled over from laughter. gave them a dollar for it. i've not read it.

amazon.com/Moby-Dick-Whale-Herman-Melville/dp/0520045483/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TJ8DGDAJBDN1QHXFN6VT

A E S T H E T I C

I have aspergers and I don't really organise my shelf beyond related content. Philosophy in one section, fiction in another, history in another, etc.

Sooo... I'm good then?

Fairly important. I pull all my books to the front of the bookshelf so that they're even. I don't make it a point to buy fine editions though--just like the paperbacks to look nice.

but i have minor ocd.

full of memes though

Yay! Pretty overt huh?

Did you see the stack of nazi stuff?

thrasher
enders game
to kill a mockingbird sparknotes
second hand philosophy

hmmm

>Pandemic

Ilu bby. Scott Sigler's writing is so good

Thanks my dude.

he's part of the reason i got back into reading recently. i downloaded the infected audiobook and was fucking hooked. listened to and read everything he has done. absofuckinglutely love his shit. fucking chicken shears. i just got pandemic, does it live up to the other two? i'm a little worried since he killed off most everyone.

no problem friend. it's a beautiful edition and worth every penny. but if it's not good enough i saw an original arion press version on ebay for 18,500$

It's really good too and he does a great job of bringing in more characters and developing them over the course of just one book. His pace is fast af for the developments so you may feel as though he's pushing the rate the story develops.

The tone is similar to the endings of Infection and Contagion where they straight up fucking mobilize and things get intense so it makes sense he writes it in the broad strokes but I thoroughly enjoyed it like his other works I've read

I hate colorful covers so damn much. thank god it's not a trend in France

awesome. i've got a few books already on my list but i'll throw it in now that i know. what do you think of his generations series? i read alive and liked it quite a bit despite feeling a bit dirty since it was my first YA book.

Damn, he could have been a chad.

>want to buy good non-used french hardcover classics
>it's either tacky de Bonnot or la Pléiade on shitty paper
>thank god we don't have quality publishers in France
Step it up frogs.

What you want is "L'intégrale" by Le Seuil editions. It's usually, if not always, the complete works of an author, whether in one book or several. So sad it's discontinued, but you can get them second-hand at quite a cheap price.

Apart from that it's true that we better rely on old plain paperbacks since we mainly have crappy hardcovers like the unreadable Pléiade.

not important at all

I haven't checked them out yet, that's his newest right? After seeing how long Pandemic took to be release I put him on the back burner because of my anticipation.

the shelf is disgusting tho

Thoughts on my bookshelf?

Why?

>only started reading books last month
>2 books completed so far, 1 in progress
I will come back to this thread with a shelf photo in few years time.

Motherfucker I'm not getting into a debate on aesthetics on some Oyoian bronze-casting shitslinging moot.

This looks bad though, because the shelf height doesn't match book height. Lots of empty space, not very appealing.

Personally, I'd arrange them by weight. Big thick hardcovers on the bottom shelves, paperbacks up top. You could fit in a whole other shelf for paperbacks, and it'd give the entire bookshelf a much fuller appearance.

i want that thrasher magggggg

It only comes with 3 shelves though

>Donkey Kong bongo controller

Whats wrong with that?

are you implying that these books look nice? they're gaudy as fuck

Dip

>but I do like shelves with a nice curated aesthetic. if I ever get a girlfriend I hope her shelf is cute. if she reads.

I hope you get a cute girlfriend with a very cute shelf user

i dont even care about that most of my books have no covers at all.

>amazon.com/Moby-Dick-Whale-Herman-Melville/dp/0520045483/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TJ8DGDAJBDN1QHXFN6VT

Why is it so expensive new

The arion press edition is pretty famous.

not at all, really. my bookshelf is small and i just cram as many books into it as i can. i also picked up an ereader recently, and i'm reading more than ever using it, but i kind of miss expanding my collection of physical books.

>

Books like this look really try-hard and tacky.

I like them

This.

Your shit looks like a book store OP and the fact you are so desperate to show off entry-level literature would say a lot about you.

They are good looking books though, sure, but this shit is too much. Maybe if you had a nice big bookshelf behind it stacked with books you've read so it doesn't look like Narnya, Hitchhikers Guide and Interview With a Vampire are your literary go-to.

Fuck books. I don't even read anymore. I'm going to burn my library like the Nazi I am.

That's not OPs collection. It's been posted before.

Off topic somewhat, but that collection of Poe is reportedly the best there is.

I have my books arranged chronologically by author, but beyond that there's no order to it. So I have The Orchard Keeper to The Road by McCarthy in order, but that's followed by Tolstoy, followed by Murakami.

you have bad taste or are a child.

They are good books but its a starter pack. Basically stuff you read up through high school.

Well glad it's more than a pretty face.

I bought the Bible from the Barnes & Noble series but I wouldn't want to buy any of the others B&N offers.

Op, is this you?

It's important to me that all my PDFs have OCR and can be searched through easily with ctrl+F.

Uttery wankery.

It's nice but it's not THAT necessary. hit it right on the head