Anybody on Veeky Forums go to St. John's college?

Anybody on Veeky Forums go to St. John's college?

What was it like? How did you like the Great Books curriculum? Do you think the style of a St. John's education made you a better thinker?

>curriculum which explicitly rejects the cutting edge
Why would you pay money for this? If you go to a real university and actually try, you can get involved with the creation of new knowledge, making connections and impressions that will carry you forward into a wide possibilities of career paths in addition to studying the classics. Going to St. John's is for brainlets who can't hack it in the Ivy+ schools.

The patrician choice for an unconventional college experience is to go to Deep Springs for two years and then transfer to Stanford, UChicago or one of the Ivies.

>Deep Springs
Shhh

>brainlets who can't hack it in the Ivy+ schools

as an ivy student i have really mixed opinions about the league.

it blows the fuck out of state schools to be sure but like... making ONE great faculty connection will justify anywhere you go.

I went to one of the nations better state schools, and theres nothing that has helped me more (intellectually) than the bond i forged with an associate faculty member.

I don't think he even realizes it, but the impact he made on me is tremendous.

btw the thing that gives me 'mixed' opinions about the ivy league is that plenty of the people here are still "brainlets," they just had the credentials to survive the crapshoot that is admissions.

going to a school with good faculty and small class sizes is the best it gets, outside of tutelage (which unfortunately nobody on Veeky Forums can afford)

this, i go to a top 10 (world) and i doubt that the people here are more than one standard deviation above normal people on average, especially not for subjects like english and history

the people doing shit like theoretical physics are an exception

the number one predictors of getting into one of these schools for a non STEM subject are: did they have a tutor, did they go to a school that knew how the admissions process worked and artificially prep them

How long did you wait before letting him take you in the greek style?

Symposium btfo's pederasty
only sophists fuck boys thighs

I'm 18 and I just want to go to University of Michigan even though I'm from out of state (dad went there and I love the cold weather, campus, football team, etc).

I go to a good private school and I think I might be qualified for a highly selective school like the Ivies or similar but I feel like they won't have the parties I'm used to and I want to join a frat and have a fun college experience.

If you had to choose between Umich and an "elite" college which would you pick for someone who isn't purely academic-minded and wants to have a fun college experience? Can fun be had at these kinds of schools?

I'm used to playing beer pong and hooking up and doing other sorts of drunken debauchery, for an example of my idea of "fun."

>If you had to choose between Umich and an "elite" college which would you pick for someone who isn't purely academic-minded and wants to have a fun college experience?

if you have the money to pay Michigan's 40k+ out of state tuition, you have the money to have an active social life at an ivy league school. quality of greek life varies from school to school though, and I'd research it if I were you.

imo as long as you have access to 'world class' faculty, a good university library, and jstor you have all the tools you need to succeed intellectually. You might make better professional connections at an ivy but Michigan will have a more broad-based alumni network and you'll get the advantage of having a renowned football team. imo if youre doing liberal arts/humanities go to an ivy, but if youre doing something like business or sciences go to UMich.

GOAT would be umich undergrad and grad/prof school at an ivy or similar.

I actually did net price calculator and my out of state tuition at michigan would not be all that expensive. Around $15k/year was the estimate they gave me.

I also have Tulane as an option because I meet their requirements for guaranteed in-state acceptance and they actually accept some public money the state dolls out for each kid going to college. They have extremely good social life and it also seems like a fun school but I'm from New Orleans and kind of want to get out.

I don't know quite what I want to major in. I had social sciences in mind but my recent renewed interest in reading has led me to lean more towards humanities now. Your "GOAT" option seems like the best to me right now

I'm finishing my senior year there. It's been a major pain in the ass, but it's been fun. The people are definitely stuck up, but they're generally pretty nice.
The curriculum is cool, inasmuch as the community is cohesive across all 4 years.
I would argue that I am a better thinker, but I agree that we are definitely not cutting edge, and that we seriously lack the skills job markets ask for.

I didn't go there, but I'm self-studying their curriculum. Reading Lavoisier's Elements of Chemistry (it's an old translation too, so it uses the long s).

The curriculum their includes learning: ancient Greek, modern French, English poetry and prose, logic, ancient Greek mathematics, astronomy, physics, chemistry, biology, genetics, relativity, and more.

post made me sad iah

Annapolis or Santa Fe?

Why'd it make you sad and what does iah mean

bump

I went on an overnight stay while looking at colleges. Imagine 500 depressed chain smoking trench coat wearing 20 year olds, 200 retarded commuters, and 50 unintelligible foreign students. That's what St. John's is. It's fucking depressing.

Not that Middlebury isn't depressing in its own way.

GO TO TULANE YOU DUMBASS!

Trust me, going to school where you're from is actually pretty nice, and Tulane has kids from all around the world so I doubt you'll feel cloistered. Plus the degree is prestigious enough to get you a good job. I go to a New England lac, trust me, Tulane is your best option.

You don't know what you're talking about man.

I've been going to the Tulane bars since I was 16. All the girls there are JAPs. Not to mention I really want to leave New Orleans. Michigan is higher ranked than Tulane also so idk why I'd go to Tulane over umich

I'm interested in the St Johns MALA program... mostly for personal fulfillment later in life. Now if I could just finish this current MA.

I got accepted like last week. :^))))
Thx GI Bill.

>paying 60k to read the classics
Why are people so dumb?

>haha dude never go to school at all, just learn on your own :^)

Umich is a state school

Also, JAPs are god tier pussy

I'll be in New Orleans in a couple weeks, if you want to talk about it over a couple beers email me at [email protected], I'm a 21 yo straight male that goes to an elite New England lac, I know more about colleges than I would like to

>he didn't get a free ride scholarship and go to uni for free

spotted the real dummy

considered this school, even visited it.
obviously reading the Canon is valuable, but these guys make the classic mistake of taking it too far, and forgetting the benefits of the current. You ending up walking away with no specialized applicable skills. Also the student body is super small, and Annapolis is too quiet.

You should only go here if you're full Veeky Forums, ultra rich, and have no career prospects

yeah, I go there

They actually offer fully paid courses at other colleges during the summer in order to round people out for grad school.
But yeah, you really shouldn't be going here unless you're planning on grad school of some kind.

Which lac? Middlebury? Bowdoin? Williams?
Even if Michigan is a state school it is higher on USNews than Tulane. My only other pick would be Georgetown but I heard the parties and social life there are lame