How do you read books in other languages without succumbing to the urge to look up every single word you don't know?

How do you read books in other languages without succumbing to the urge to look up every single word you don't know?

why would that be a bad thing? that's how you learn

You SHOULD look up every word you don't know.

Personal rare advice my dad told me: Look it up in [Studied Language] → English, and English → [Studied Language]. If you're not using 2 dictionaries, you're not doing it right.

I'm tremendously lazy.

I have a nice trick to avoid this. Months, sometimes even years prior to reading a certain foreign book I gradually acquaint myself with vocabulary and grammar of the language. Only then I start reading it. Works every time.

I've got a 280 page word doc of vocabulary that I've compiled. I compare definitions across five dictionaries. I spend more time working on this list than I do actually reading. Making and reviewing the list has helped tremendously, but I feel I should be reading more.

Your first 15-20 books when learning a new language should be read with bilingual editions. Read a paragraph in your native language, and then read the same passage in a foreign. This is the best way to learn quick. DON'T just go word for word, it's very slow and ineffective

wtf...
why would you be so autistic about it? just look it up and be done with it. if it sticks, it sticks. if not, you'll look it up again next time you come across it and someday you won't have to anymore

one source and no list is enough

just use a foreign language dictionary pleb

i only look up 'meaning' words now and not 'aesthetic' words

>i only look up 'meaning' words now and not 'aesthetic' words
This is quite possibly the most retarded thing to do.

>why would you be so autistic about it?
Dude, what site do you think you're on?

true.
but come on

I didn't intend for it to get this long. I originally thought it would be 10-20 pages max. I just found it so helpful that I kept expanding it.

Not always. Stopping to learn every word you don't know is an important way to learn a language but is not the only important way. Another way (which should be done in conjunction) is to read for volume. Try to read a 20 page chapter in an afternoon. Only look up words when they seriously effect your ability to understand what is happening. The whole idea is to get you used to reading in the language, and this will be accomplished several times faster than only using the other method. This is a great way to learn common phrases they have no analogue in your native tongue, and is a great way to learn less common grammatical constructions.

agreed. i've probably done exactly that without realizing it. i only have me learning english as comparison. i guess if you learn a new language you donmt even have the basics, then it makes sense to translate every word at first

if it makes you happy... but do you ever actually use that list or do you just like to bask in the glory of the sheer volume of all the new words you learned? wither way, if it has a purpose for you then i see no problem

Yeah, I read about 30 pages of the list a day. I won't lie though, it is kinda cool to bask.

Quality pest.

now i had to wonder if there were high and low kinds of pests. you know, the budget pest for the jews and the high end one for the prince?

awesome. c-could you share it?

I meant post.
Fuck, pest means like 100 different things in English. Why can't you have a fucking word for each thing? Gotta use ONE word that means 100 things.
Then wonder why English is so good for music and poetry and so bad for philosophy.

...I had to say it.

i know what you meant. i just had to say it too

that's true. it's pretty confusing if you try to differentiate, only to find out there are not more words to translate what you want to say. frustrating af. but it also happens the other way around

What are you talking about, 'pest' has 3 meanings according to M-W.
English is the most precise language to ever exist, no other language has as many nuanced synonyms, compare it to something like latin, for example

>[agō]

>I do, act, make, behave
>I accomplish, manage, achieve
>I perform, transact
>I drive, conduct
>I push, move, impel
>I guide, govern, administer
>I discuss, plead, deliberate
>I think upon; I am occupied with
>I stir up, excite, cause, induce
>I chase, pursue
>I drive at, pursue (a course of action)
>I rob, steal, plunder, carry off
>(of time) I pass, spend
>(of offerings) I slay, kill (as a sacrifice)
>(of plants) I put forth, sprout, extend

>english is the most precise language to ever exist
Cool bait OR you're retarded. Either way, no more (You)'s for you, friend!

>English is the most precise language to ever exist
Why do monolingual anglos keep perpetuating this meme? Are you trying to rationalize your own mental deficiency? Are you baiting?

>monolingual anglo
Bit redundant there, m8.

>without succumbing to the urge to look up every single word you don't know
Why wouldn't you want to look up all the words you don't know? That's unironically one of my favorite things about reading.

Not an argument, phams. English is dominant of all languages.
t. not even a native english speaker, just a realist

because your plan doesn't sound very smart, mr.

Guess again, cockmeat

>dick sucking fag
german is the most precise, you homos

oh, sorry mrs.

If it's helpful, why start this fucking thread?

as long as i understand whats going on everything else falls into place

Just look it up with your phone, it's the current year of 2017 you imbecile.

>so bad for philosophy.
I think looking for connections between homonyms in any language can be philosophically stimulating

You may as well be reading a translation if you're literally ignorning some words.