ITT: post your favourite book of all time

ITT: post your favourite book of all time

I see One Hundred Years get very high praise, but what does Veeky Forums think before I spend my hard earned money on it?

OP here. It's a difficult read at first but once you get into the flow of it it's hypnotic. By far the best examples of imagery and lyrical prose i've ever read. If you're into magical realism this is like the bible of that genre

overrated hogwash that relies on historical spanish significance, without actually following the tradition. read lazarillo de tormes instead. then read Locos by felipe alfau.

Garbage. If you lived a thousand years you would never run out of better work to buy

This novel Nabokov's aestheticism at its peak. Sublime. If you've read any Nabokov and haven't gotten to this yet you should be ashamed.

Fuck, I meant to say "This novel represents** Nabokov's ..."

Where to start with Nabokov? I've always been a pretty poor and slow reader. I'm working my way through some classics but I haven't got to Nabokov yet. Is there a good guide somewhere?

How does one acquire a favourite of anything? I can never choose when people ask.

My suggestion, (trying to limit the total number of books I'm suggesting, obviously if you really like him you'll eventually read his entire oeuvre):

>Laughter in the Dark
>Lolita
>Pale Fire
>Ada
>Speak, Memory

>relies on historical spanish significance

That is a stupid read actually, the narrative of the book is worth by itself, stop repeating the shitty thoughts you heard form your teacher

Ulysses, although it's a generic choice.

Just finished Despair, would recommend.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check them out.

The Luzhin Defense is great too, imo, yall autists will relate

This is probably my second favourite

As literature it exemplifies Hispanic identity and history in an unique way, as being a mix of the magic of folk stories and actual historical backgrounds.

As a novel it is simply a really comfy read. It is almost like a slice of life show, since you are more preoccupied with wondering what could next than cheering for any individual character.

You might want a timeline though.

Probably.

>Hispanic identity and history
ie. it's muh sjw shit Kill Whitey! WE WUZ AZTEC WARRIORS

Pffft nah, no aztecs. It is more like a history book written like how a grandma would tell tales of her youth. I ain't preaching man, just explaining the book.

Good but because extremely tedious and monotonous about halfway through for a while
The characters lose depth as you go
Read it eventually don't prioritize reading it because you'll drop it if you have more interesting books in your back log

For some people certain things just stand out and have a profound impact unlike any other. I am generally in the same boat as you though, so when I am asked about favorites I usually mention recent ones, not overall favorites.

>100 Years of Meme

Wanna know how I know you're a redditor?

Too much "Muh honeysuckle" for me. The Quentin and Benjamin chapters were good, Jason's was a one dimensional disappointment, the "omniscient" chapter was pretty good. Overall I liked it, but definitely not in my top tier favourites.

What did you like about it, user?

>19:21:25
Yeah mate, aztecs in Colombia.

I read it in spanish but i like this cover. If you like 100 years of solitude this is a must. García Márquez said lots of times how much impact this novel an Rulfo had on him

Not OP, but you can always bet that some weak-willed dumbfuck is going to show up in these threads to mock without contributing anything himself.

God forbid we actually talk about what we like instead of shitting on what we hate all the time.

respect user, this or The Recognitions is mine

Start with invitation to a beheading, very different from the rest of his oeuvre but any fan of Kafka or modernist literature will thoroughly enjoy it.

I love hockey, sex and Don DeLillo so this book was perfect for me.

desu my favorite book is so obscure it's not even in print

It's still arguably a sjw book, because it unfairly demonises the american banana corporation for giving the spics jobs and a chance to earn a living. The author was also a marxist supporter of dictator Fidel Castro.

Maybe not the best thing I ever read but I sure loved the way it sparked my imagination. Got it for Christmas when I was 14 and tore through it. Of the seven in the days of the comet was my favorite

Shit forgot pic

Though right now I'm midway through Dune, and that might be my new favorite

I don't know if Dune is too Reddit for Veeky Forums, I don't come here often

You don't have to be a Marxist or an SJW to find United Fruit's actions morally reprehensible.

The banana corporation was a Cold war conflict. I don't think it is really comparable to the sjw phenomenon. And the banana company massacre did happen.

You have no clue what you're talking about. The 'banana massacre' is a well documented historical event that actually happened. I don't give a shit about your US politics but this event actually happened--more or less exactly as it was portrayed in 100YoS.

It has literally nothing to do with SJWs

Look up the book Amusing Ourselves to Death.

Brave new world is nice, but, really?
Honestly the book is pretty much about a single(but important) political idea that Huxley had, but it isn't so central or anything.

Have you read his short fiction? Rayuela really pales in comparison to his short stories IMO.

How can it be a sjw book when it portrays identity out of inclussion politics and formulates the possibility of national pride??? The shrewdness of politically opiniated people (in both poles of the spectrum) really is annoying.

It's just that Huxley has this skill that I dream of having, of giving everything he says a massive weight. I love his writing style, and all of the scenes in this book are beautifully written and paced. It's all really tied together with a super engaging plot exploring a fascinating society.

>teacher
as much as it might pain you, i am capable of forming my own opinions.
sorry i didn't like your charlatan's creation. the historical spanish significance i implied is the literary tradition it leans on heavily. in reality it is a work of gimmicks and dullness. a book for young people, ages 9-12.

I haven't read anything else from him. I sure know that I want to though.

Check out Those Barren Leaves, his best work yet unknown.

>"as much as it might pain you"
>"charlatan"
>consciously mimicking the cadence of Nabokov's famous criticisms

user, please. Sit down. You're making an ass out of yourself.

Not him, but I thought Jason was awfully sympathetic. The only child left with a shred of responsibility and common sense forced to carry the family on his back. He was a middle child which naturally means he got the least attention growing up (especially with a genius older brother, retarded younger brother and precious sister). To top it all off, his father committed suicide leaving him with his failing family estate. Sure he was a bastard, but such life circumstances would probably turn anyone into a bastard. I found him sympathetic and 3-dimensional, though basically everyone I talk to in real life disagrees with me.

But Jason was always an asshole, even in the childhood flashbacks he was a cunt to Caddy down by the river.

What I liked about it was the feeling of a puzzle where all the pieces fall into place (finally,during Jason's section) after much frustration during the first two sections. And it really got me in the feels too.
Poor Benjy
Poor Quentin
Poor Caddy
Poor Dilsey
Poor Mr. Compson
And even in a strange way, poor Jason.
I couldn't bring myself to feel anything for Mrs Compson but weak and stupid mothers trigger me. Might be my issues and not the book though.
I even feel a little bit sorry for Quentin 2 even though she's a mean little slut.

>still thinks mexican fairy tale is high literature
>indirectly attacks a pedophile i've never read
>posts an image depicting an actor that has not offered another expression in his entire career
no, user, you are the embarassment.

Christ I still need to read this.
>why am I such a Veeky Forums pleb?