Just had a death in the family...

Just had a death in the family. I've been an atheist for 6-7 years (Nietzsche's Antichrist was my favorite) and now at the first sign of real stress I really want a Christian God to exist. Can you guys recommend your best apologetics books?

Your issue is you still fall for the family and loved ones spook

DUDE SPOOKS LMAO

Go to the primary source, the synoptic gospels and John. Mark is the shortest read.

And then Plato's Apology, where Socrates argues the immortality of the soul, in what is actually a gripping and slightly humorous courtroom exchange.

You're just not a human being if you deny the power of family bonds.

>human being

lol you still believe in that shit? Cute

t. lizard

muh hue-min bean me-me

Your issue is you fall for dichotomies in an attempt to transcend your human suffering.

Its working out pretty well, I never owned so much before

And you go to Veeky Forums? wtf is wrong with you?

whatever man

Take a look at the Critique of Judgment. Kant makes a strong case for the supersensible in us through our appreciation of beauty. I'm sorry.

here you go OP
sorry for your loss

I've always loved this board and have got many book recommendations from it, and used to skip over the apologetics threads like I was above it.
thank you

Another good one is "Can God be Trusted" by Stackhouse

>80IQchan

Surely Veeky Forums has a non garbage equivalent of this

Self worship removes all of these problems.

for fucks sake you don't need to read books. just have some faith.

Why? So he could torture that family member for all eternity? You must have really hated them. God's "paradise" is eternal division no matter what people try to tell you otherwise.

The Gospels, Brothers Karamazov, Kierkegaard, Simone Weil

Read Confessions.

Typical atheist. WEAK

>now at the first sign of real stress I really want a Christian God to exist
>this entire sentence
>implying that you can be made religious through apolegetics

It remains amazing to me how much garbage and how consistently low quality that stuff is that power hungry fundies produce.

You people are really terrified of your status and influence, aren't you?

i don't understand this.
can't you accept that you're grieving over the death of someone you love?
or maybe the death brought out the sorrow you didn't know you had, in which case look to real issues in your life which you can fix.

Your problem is that you were an atheist when agnosticism is the product of the truest acceptance of the human condition.

They're good books

>your life which you can fix
Which is exactly what he is trying to do.

with god?
fuck off zealot.

Shouldn't Mere Christianity be included into this list instead of one of these?

Why not? Why does God make you so angry? Show me on this doll where He touched you.

C. S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

it doesn't make me angry. religious girls are the best fucks.
while i understand the need for it for the mentally weak, it's just incredibly stupid and poisonous.

Not really. Just having an open mind now seeing that obviously smarter people than me are believers (Kierkegaard, Hegel, Dostoyevsky, Aquinas, etc). Maybe I was wrong?

>poisonous
Why?
Oh, wait you're Nietzsche lite
Move along

So, you cower in the face of your own emotions? You're actually in denial about the fact of mortality if you fall to this obvious and craven idiocy.

Don't deny your grief, let it come, cry because YOU KNOW you will never see this person living again, ever, and move on with your life. If you get spooked into delusion, you're never going to have meaningful closure.

So no, I'm not going to recommend you any of the garbage that poisoned my mind, whether that garbage takes the form of Camus or Craig. My recommendation is to genuinely grieve.

yea thats good

>genuinely grieve.

You realize you're the one in denial. If you actually grasped the horror of loss you would be looking towards any possible escape. Your proposal of just crying it out like passing kidney stones is itself just a ritual denial.
Babies cry so Mammy will come make everything better, an adult looks for solutions or wallows in despair

Not what you're asking for, but may be helpful:

>having to bring sex into a discussion any moment he can to degrade something

Ultimate pleb, have fun having sex which is not poisonous or lecherous.

>solutions
You can't solve nothing, there is no solution to nothing, i.e. death.You can only respond to it as you feel the response. Grief, and its process (unique to the individual), is the only actual way to "get over" another's death. Any other "solution" (which, again, there cannot be) is self-delusion.

>hurr muh masculism muh stoicism muh childism
Crying (tears, a physical demonstration of an emotional reaction) is one real response to the "horror of loss." There are others. I'm not attempting to dictate OP's emotional response, I'm merely using an example of cathartic emotional outburst. You, as a human, will have such a response if you "truly grasp the horror" of loss, because you can't grasp death.

"Escaping" is a delay, a denial of something you need to face, in this sense. In Latin, it meant literally "to leave a pursuer with one's cape or mantle." How can you "escape" knowledge of death, in that sense? You don't and you can't, because it is, again, nothing.

You can believe I'm denial all you please, it doesn't change the fact that you're a chauvinistic childist and womanizer who will never: properly love a woman, write engaging prose or poetry, make a worthwhile contribution to science, etc. You are the typical arch-man who thinks he can overcome his emotions by denying them. There is nothing original in you

The fact that you think that you can go back to naive faith after non-belief makes me think that your atheism was only nominal to begin with, and that your metaphysics are one hot mess.

The good news is that a lot of theologians are practically atheists. Read some Tillich. Either the "Courage to Be," or else just get the Essential Tillich. Pretty good stuff- he was an existential christian who basically just applied Heidegger (who was already pretty theological) to christian thought.

Are you autistic?

Confessions by St Augustine

>hating based /christian/
fuck off!!!!

not an argument

No, I am not "autistic," unless I am high-functioning to the point that a diagnosis is unnecessary.

>all this apology and spiritual materialism

You might as well read The God Delusion, it turns one to one's Subjective experience and faith simply by being so ridiculous that it could pass for controlled opposition.

Apologetic works as well as those who legitimize atheist arguments by engaging with them are awful. With their bottom-up, Rationalist, gradual approach they're basically Materialist writings. The fact that they argue for God is irrelevant, their methodology is emergence-based - these logical worldly arguments will turn one to God when put together.

Basically...