There's too much to learn and not enough time in a single lifetime

There's too much to learn and not enough time in a single lifetime

I want to study math, machine learning, physics, astrophysics, astronomy, chemistry, geology, marine biology, botany, survival skills, art history, and learn a few languages, but I will die before I do even a fraction of that

How do you decide what you really want to do? I try to read or study at least 10 hours every weekend and 2 hours per week day but this is not enough, and if I do more my eyeballs literally start getting sore since my job is as a software developer staring at computers all day

Fuck man. I want to just get rich and retire early somehow so I can study all day long every day

How do you guys narrow in on exactly what you want to study? I'm so upset

Other urls found in this thread:

web.stanford.edu/~hastie/Papers/ESLII.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princeton_Lectures_in_Analysis
amazon.com/Clouds-Glass-Beer-Experiments-Atmospheric/dp/0486417387
amazon.com/Light-Through-Yonder-Window-Breaks/dp/0486453367
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This is the peril of life, know that you will die incomplete.

>I want to study math,
Do it.
>machine learning,
Don't, it's a meme.
>physics, astrophysics, astronomy,
These are basically the same.
>chemistry, geology, marine biology, botany,
Odds are you will be satisfied after reading an intro book and won't go deeper into memorization hell.
>survival skills, art history,
Everyone has hobbies.
>and learn a few languages,
Welcome to not being American.

>Math
>Do it
Agree.
>machine learning = meme
Study how the algorithms were derived
>physics, etc.
Learn enough to understand your place in the universe
>chemistry, biology, etc.
get ready to do a lot of reading, but it's about something you really enjoy?
>hobbies
You might go crazy without them
>new language
ASL is good, if nothing else (American Sign Language)

Just give up and study animu

more like gift, who wants to be alive knowing one already knows everything one can? some of us, apparently

>machine learning

maybe try regular learning first pleb kek

Eternal learning is manchildren had fear make great thing and hidden on books mountains to look smart.

Just learn simple thing and change your life with it.

Learn math to could work in machine learning, search new job in astrophysics, astronomy, chemistry, geology, marine biology, botany with could help another people and make money, this begin better just read books in your house.

Start material

web.stanford.edu/~hastie/Papers/ESLII.pdf
Introduction to Probability Model Ross
Linear algebra gilbert strang

Mathematics advance
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princeton_Lectures_in_Analysis

Topology munkes

Important to stadistics,physics and Machine learning.

>I was good at math
>There was an option for me to study math for free
>If I study math and get my PhD I can become a professor which means I will work 1/3 of what the usual professional works while earning as much money
>With the right perspective (which I still have) math isn't even work, so technically I would never have to actually work for even a second

So I picked math. I still have a passing interest in physics, chemistry, history etc. but it's fine. I do pure math but with the right dose of "physics, chemistry, philisophy and everything is just applied math" I can pretend I am an astronomer or some shit.

Basically, you need to understand that life does not happen for you, it happens TO you. Having to make bullshit decisions from time to time is what happens when you are thrown into an uncaring world without god. It is just what happens. Learn to deal with it. Try to enjoy where life throws you.

I like you

a very dumb statement

This guy writes about learning stuff to enhance your sight on everything around you.
(correctly in terminology and not too dumbed down! Popscience seems to be garbage most of the time)

amazon.com/Clouds-Glass-Beer-Experiments-Atmospheric/dp/0486417387
amazon.com/Light-Through-Yonder-Window-Breaks/dp/0486453367

I'd also suggest getting a Kosmos Chemistry Kit maybe and working through it?

Maybe a copy of the complete collection of Amatuer Scientist Columns (look it up, it's a dvd).

Maybe I'd like you too if you told me about yourself

you should consider getting into trading
it could provide you with the freetime needed
once you figured everything out it takes about half an hour every day to monitor your trades

i myself started 2 month ago
tried several platforms and brokers

my first demo account blew up in 3 days as expected
used a bunch of indicators which didn't really work out for me

on my second demo i had major losses and minor wins
had to learn how to cut my losses and let my winners run

once i removed indicators from my charts and began trading higher timeframes i started making profits

this week i opened my first real account with only 25€ to start with and made my first 7€

Focus on math. Problem solved.

Everyone recommending you to study math is basically recommending you to literally have no expertise and be useless anywhere outside academia or HS teaching.

Study physics - it has the right does of applicability and abstract concepts so you get the best of both worlds and make a good buck on top of it (if you specialize in actually demanded fields)

How did you start?
My profit is always in negatives

>made 7€

dude

I want some recommendation for books. He seems like someone who did research

Just pick one thing and say fuck it
life's hard

>Everyone recommending you to study math is basically recommending you to literally have no expertise and be useless anywhere outside academia or HS teaching.
>Study physics
Oh the irony

>Physics
>Demanded Fields

Good one.

In regards to OP, I used to be like you. I then found a specialization I loved and no longer cared about all of the other endeavors I wanted to achieve. Let's be real here - You are a Software Dev (My specialization is in Cyber Sec) and you want to learn art history? There is very little reason to pursue such branches of knowledge than don't relate to your field of study or help make you more marketable (i.e. learning multiple languages is very worth the time investment, but not botany or marine biology).

Just my $2c.

Or you could invest in crypto and go to the MOON

i haven't read any books so far
did my research online
i guess you already know babypips.com if not go there
for books you could visit /r/forex they also have a lot of other sources there

i'm currently looking into shorting gold
price fell under the previous very strong resistance area
pic related

thats basicly all i do:
check daily/weekly for support/resistance area
wait for the price to hit an area
decide based on the markets reaction to the areas(H1/H4 timeframe)

>what is the entire optical industry´and photonics
>what is materials research
>what is numerical modeling in any competent automotive company

I could go on and on. Also, I said phyiscs contains the perfect balance of abstract and applicable, while I presumed that OP was looking for something more intellectualy stimulating than just simple application.

>There is very little reason to pursue such branches of knowledge than don't relate to your field of study or help make you more marketable
So life is just about making yourself a more marketable slave to corporations

Got it

>Odds are you will be satisfied after reading an intro book and won't go deeper into memorization hell.
It's not really 'memorization hell' if you are actually interested. Then it's just called fun learning.

Stamp collecting isn't fun

>field of study

Know nothing about nothing and you're boring.
Know everything about everything and you're an asshole
Know a something about a few things, and you're interesting as dicks

It's sort of a fucked up thing.

But I'll try to harken from my own experience with this tireless bullshit. It may be sort of a halting problem. I like order, I like patterns, I like understanding my world, my non, convoluted, world. Whenever I'm faced with some new sort of animal, I integrate it. Immediately. It won't matter really if it is say, astronomy, or some paper on some archaic thing in anthropology some researchers did in Australia. Dock it, add it to the ledger, I guess. My field of choice physics, because the work to me is the most relevant stuff I could be doing with my time. Same, if I were a biologist, or a pure maths guy, and I know a few of them, they're a lot smarter than me, and my closest pal is like, say, an IBM in my time of non-analog clocks. The advice I got from my parents was to do whatever interested me. And of course that struck me as multifaceted. Everything interests me, sometimes my head fills up with so much crap and noise, I get migraines, and headaches and stupid annoying things like that. And I cant do everything and anything, now can I? It's very philosopher-kings to think that you could live life as a savant, and intellectual god-emperor, all knowing, wise, and powerful.

So, with that in mind, what the fuck? If I can't do everything, and would die before then, what? What, what, what? I don't know, really. I just sort of take in everything, and use it. It is hard to answer. So, in my humble opinion, the solution is to find something cool that implements enough. And do it, then find the time and people to do other things, and have those people the people who do those things. I know humanities guys and gals, I know a fucking civil servant and I know a dude who works on a reactor all day.

Surround yourself with what's cool, and you'll see cool things. Whatever makes you happy. It is true that life is sort of uncontainable and unforgivable, but, you know. Make it work.

I like your viewpoint a lot user

It's easy to get into that sort of desire to be some intellectual God-emperor, and even sometimes for me to try to narrow down in topics and try to find out which ones are more pure and worthy of study due to limited time

But often weird people who aren't intellectual Gods, just doing what they love even when nobody else in the world approves, make great discoveries and contributions to humanity

Life is such a high-variance endeavor it's hard to know what to do. Maybe if I quit my job and went to get a PhD in Physics I'd end up being a boring poor dude studying at a desk for the rest of my life, and down my current path which doesn't seem to be the past I may end up with enough money to some day do something useful with it, maybe donate it all to some poor African village, and within that village the life of a future genius scientist would be forever changed by this gift

It's so hard to know what to do, I guess I'll just try to do what I enjoy, work hard, work smart, study things casually if I want even if I don't end up some expert in everything, and try to be a good person. And that's all I can do.

>and learn a few languages
For most people outside UK, USA, Australia
Learning a few languages is the easiest goal on OP list.
Most of Europe learn English, Canadians learn English & French.
It's not uncommon to find East Asians, Hispanics, Muslims, Indians, Filipinos & Africans who can speak English.
But It's very unlikely to find an American who speaks any other language besides English (except among American Hispanics)

Fuck it man, let somebody else do it. Play video games, masturbate, and watch TV shows like me. It's pretty good my man.