How can I read Finnigans Wake, when the words on the pages mean NOTHING to me. Absolutely nothing...

How can I read Finnigans Wake, when the words on the pages mean NOTHING to me. Absolutely nothing. I have read 2 chapters, and you know what I think?

> The words on the pages are long
> there are maybe 4-5 words that are in plain English on the pages

I may as well be reading a book in French, it means that little!!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=M8kFqiv8Vww
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>step 1. don't be a disgusting monolingual pleb
>step 2. don't be a filthy uncultured prole
>step 3. use a companion guide

>he can't even into French
>he wants to understand complex multilingual puns and referenes

> buying books to read books

no thanks

I'm sorry, in Burgerland for thousands of miles all around me, is my own country. So the pressure to learn another language is not there in society. Do I regret not leaning a language when I was young? Abso-fucking-lutely. Can I do anything about it? Probably not.

It's best to learn a language if you immerse yourself in it, and as of now I have no means of doing that.

Of course it's not too late and you can use the internet to achieve a fair amount of immersion. Especially with languages relatively close to English, such as French.

>monolingual
Does it even matter, when most words in FW are made up bullshit

>he fell for the meme

Of what use is this book if no one can actually comprehend it? Does being incredibly difficult make something "good"? I know I'll get at least a few replies saying ">brainlet cant understand bilingual puns" but I mean come on. No one can actually read this and enjoy it

I'm OP an I'm starting to feel this way.

Pull up a dictionary, you fucking inbred

It's written to be like a dream. Just let it wash over you, make associations based on what you can understand, keep an eye out for puns and double meaning.

Or just don't read it if you think it's a waste of time.

You are so unbelievably unlileable, holy shit

>i cant enjoy x, therefore no one can x, because i am the best!

Is there a dictionary for made up words now?

That's my current strategy friend

k

It's gibberish for christs sake. It's literally for the most part idioglossia, which means you pretty much have to either be James Joyce or devote an absurd amount of time studying it to actually understand what is happening and what is trying to be conveyed

Way more important than being multilingual is having a really good mind for wordplay to read this book

>or devote an absurd amount of time studying it to actually understand what is happening and what is trying to be conveyed
Or as has been suggested, get a guidebook from one and/or of the many people who had a potentially 80 year head start on this task that is far over your head and soul

>This doesnt make sense to me!
>Ths doesnt make sense!

nice bait though, is this your first day?

Would reading this book on LSD or mushrooms pay dividends?

define dividends

transcending to a realm of wet windy farts

Your trip indicates you have an inflated ego and seek to argue with people by belittling their intelligence instead of actually responding to their point. You could have distilled your post to "get a guidebook" to which I would counter that if you need a separate book to guide you along with reading another book is the book really a masterpiece of literature or more just an experiment in making obscure and affected prose at the expense of making the entire thing unnecessarily difficult.

>not realizing that Marshall McLuhan's career was translating Finnegan's Wake into English

>stop being a pleb
>buy a companion
Nice contradiction senpai. OP just needs to stop and fucking think while reading, it isn't hard.

>>I'm sorry, in Burgerland for thousands of miles all around me, is my own country.
You might want to learn Spanish.

>or devote an absurd amount of time studying it to actually understand what is happening and what is trying to be conveyed
Or as has been suggested, get a guidebook from one and/or of the many people who had a potentially 80 year head start on this task that is far over your head and soul

>This doesnt make sense to me!
>Ths doesnt make sense!

Don't read it, senpai.

Read it out loud.

Robert Anton Wilson claimed it was highly compressed, with multiple layers of meaning embedded in each word. to demonstrate, he deconstructed the word "thuartpeatrick" in several different ways, but in my opinion Joyce was just being lazy.

>he deconstructed the word "thuartpeatrick" in several different ways, but in my opinion Joyce was just being lazy.
>Every single word has multiple meanings
>Works on text for 12 years
>lazy
>i guess you can say that it took him 12 years is a sign of laziness
>touchee

You can't eat steak before you've grown teeth. Sorry but start with baby food. There are people on this board and irl who've been reading their whole lives, that's who the book is for and that's who will enjoy it. Sucks to play catch-up but for real do your Bible and your mythology and entry-levels and come back to it in a decade.

>but in my opinion Joyce was just being lazy.

Someone here is being lazy, that's for sure.

Fun fact: Finnegans Wake is the cheapest physical book I've ever bought. Cost me 0.85$, a new wordsworth edition. I never read it though, books aren't puzzles to solve, so Joyce and his linguistic puns can go fuck themselves

>a new wordsworth edition.

you spent 0.85 too much desu

>that it took him 12 years
My bad: "Written in Paris over a period of seventeen years, and published in 1939, two years before the author's death"

Even lazier than suspected

youtube.com/watch?v=M8kFqiv8Vww

>write a shitty book about nothing in particular real quick, fuck it just claim it's about dreams or whatever
>spend the next 12 years replacing every word with a more obscure word from a different language
>add some references that only you and dog can understand
>and something about irish """""""""culture"""""""""
>DUDE MASTAPISS

/thread

See
Its pure pottery, pure beauty, its lovely, its music, (though there is likely depth whether you know it or not), its pure spirit, its pure timeless spirit

>nasal voice mumbling non-existent words
You have a very strange definition of beauty

Most of the hatred for Finnegans Wake comes from well-read people.

Finnegans Wake is a bottomless pit for people to throw their resources into as sacrifice to Joyce's Ego.

>I didn't develop myself because the society didn't force me to
>I'm not going to develop myself because it's not as easy as it could be when I was younger
You have to go back to /r9k/.

Don't read Finnegans wake then. It's clearly not for you. You're complaining that one of the most difficult books ever written is too hard, and then making up excuses for why you can't read it. Clearly your desire to read it isn't high enough to warrant the effort, so don't bother. You're not the target audience. Do something more interesting with your life. Have you considered the orthodox church?

Who says I can't read it now and come back to it again?

I think the only person he ever meant to understand it was his daughter

Try developing schizophrenia and see if that helps you

Why would you read such garbage in the first place?

for the challenge

>See
Its pure pottery, pure beauty, its lovely, its music, (though there is likely depth whether you know it or not), its pure spirit, its pure timeless spirit
>no?

>See
>no?

>See
>no?

>See
>no?

>touchee
I knew you were a woman.

>>touchee
>I knew you were a woman.
>Anticipating to see this scientific evidence being implied that the humorous use of the word 'touchee' guarantees womanhood
>and/or is this one of those, I cant like pink things