When did you realize doing mathematics is really just doing nothing...

When did you realize doing mathematics is really just doing nothing? All the theorems and information are already encoded in the axioms you choose, there's nothing new in there. The theorems are true or false (or not determined) regardless of them being proven or not.

Every song is just an organization of sound waves that have existed since the beginning of time. Why make music.

You can construct new and unique music. The only thing you do in math is construct the axioms, how interesting.

I used to think this until I learned enough engineering

Turns out all those statistics, all that fourier shit, and all that complex number weirdness actually accurately model the behavior of things in the real world

>All the theorems and information are already encoded in the axioms you choose
What is leading you to believe that wrong conclusion?

When I learned Algebra existed. Math is just bad representations of things in the real world. Pretty much just fantasy.

The necessity is exactly the beauty you pleb. Learn to Platonism. Do you also complain that sunsets are just photons?

Math is like cooking. The axioms are ingredients and the theorems are the food.

Math is about solving problems.

The fact that you're always proving theorems by either referring to established theorems, or the axioms. But if you'd like I won't stop you from trying to prove things out of thin air.

The solution has always existed.

Premises don't magically give you ideas.
>The solution has always existed.
You don't get to harness electricity or send a man to the moon by writing down axioms and then stopping. You need to actually come up with useful ideas that are true and consistent with the basic starting premise of shit like A=A. You could argue all ideas always existed as some Platonic forms floating in the aether waiting to be discovered, but you still need to do the work to discover those ideas.

Yeah. The solution to every problem has "always existed" in the theoretical sense. That doesn't mean we know what the solution is until it's proven. Do you think humans are naturally omniscient?

>You could argue all ideas always existed as some Platonic forms floating in the aether waiting to be discovered
>The solution to every problem has "always existed" in the theoretical sense
Exactly, hence "doing nothing". Don't worry though, I much appreciate them shoveling dirt in search for pennies.

Wow. This thread...

But doing nothing results in humans not actually knowing any of those solutions, which means technological progress halts.

It's not doing nothing though, because you're actively increasing the knowledge base of humanity. Did you think you were going to become a literal god while studying math? Because thinking you can create things outside the natural laws of our universe is complete fantasy.

So are you going to end your life? Or also want the humanity and its culture to cease to exist?

>he via text transmitted by an electric field

That's an interesting way to put it, sure.

That isn't doing nothing, where are you getting this wrong conclusion from?

Mathematicians?

I think you haven't encountered the G.O.A.t

He's a methmatician.

>The theorems are true or false (or not determined) regardless of them being proven or not.
Thanks for the insight, OP. Are you also going to tell us that music is just a series of sounds or novels are just sets of words?

Sounds like a bunch 'o booleans if you ask me!

But all novels and music aren't written whether or not you write them. Nor are they deductive. All deducible knowledge is already true regardless of efforts to prove it true.

I don't know man, not all theorems are expected. Sometimes you find something really unexpected and it makes your dick hard. That's the point of math. Do the impossible, see the invisible. Row row fight the power.

you will die and the university will die. why not just die now?

what kind of stupid argument is that? You don't know anything "exists" before proving it, whether some kind of god knew it before anyone proves it. Writing down a bunch of axioms does nothing.

this.

t. Postmodernist who doesn't want to try and "deconstructs" things to avoid putting themselves out there.