>average person reads 0 books a year

why

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cHECZiDs1b8&t=960s
youtu.be/1HXa4UiY8Yc
youtube.com/watch?v=U-pVz2LTakM
youtube.com/watch?v=KsIATAaR-X0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Most books that are available to them are trash.

It's like those annoying kids who think good music ended in the 70s; there is plenty of good music, but it's all indie and isn't played on radios 'n shit.

Go to the book section at Walmart or Target. It's all crap. Unfortunately in a lot of places these are the only places to get new books outside the internet, even then I doubt they know where to start without doing a lot of research beforehand.

tl:dr cultural marxism is probably to blame.

I think it's a bubble born out of the market that is already popping as people get bored and move to soundcloud and whatnot

>; there is plenty of good music, but it's all indie
hahahahahaahahahaahahahahahahahaahahahahahaah

They read Harry Potter and assume it's the pinnacle of literature, then just meme endlessly about it. It's a vicious cycle.

indie as in independent

I don't think that's possible unless every single person didn't read a book.

>being unironically retarded

This unless you round or don't count outliers. I can't imagine it's really 0 though.

>he never realized that popular music is all shit and that only classical composers are worth listening to

Feels bad, my man.

>0 books a year
>math says nobody reads any books ever
>mfw

Who is this semen demon?

I think this has a decent amount to do with it, combined with the crap you have to read in public schools. There also used to be bookstores, now they're almost extinct, so someone just wandering through a bookstore to kill some time and finding some things they are interested in and are good reads is pretty much gone. You have to know what you're looking for and order it online. Some kid isn't going to be likely to just randomly look up some classic he's never heard of and order it.

As a very young child I wasn't all that interested in books until two things happened. One, my father sat me down and made me read The Bible with him every night for like two weeks. After like two nights I'd just read it myself and really loved Kings and Chronicles in particular.

The second was my school had this program called AR reading. It gave a point value to books based on length and reading difficulty. You took an online test when you finished it and got all the points if you scored at least like 14/20 questions right, zero otherwise. Most books I read for the first quarter were boring, and then I just started reading a LotR every quarter after that and fell in love with reading.

Every required reading in public school I had other than an abridged version of the Odyssey was so awful. If it wasn't for the earlier reasons I don't think I would have ever read the amounts that I do now or picked up Greek.

wageslavery fucks people up

Not really. Classical is unbeatable in terms of conception but all emotional value found in classical can generally be found ten fold in rock (using Scaruffi's definition of rock).

There is a theme in Verklärte Nacht that litterally cannot be touched by other composers, least not other musicians.

>but all emotional value found in classical can generally be found ten fold in rock
I'm not trying to be patronising, but listen to more classical music.
Start with Beethoven's sonatas, his late string quartets and his symphonies. They're usually a great intro to classical music.

youtube.com/watch?v=cHECZiDs1b8&t=960s
Start from here.

You can both post examples of god tier moments in classical but it's pointless as I can post just as many moments in contemporary music.

youtu.be/1HXa4UiY8Yc

They're not compatible and saying one is better than the other for whatever reason is a matter of musical taste not fact. Musical complexity can't be used as a value because rock doesn't base supreme value on theory.

I like rock, rap funk, etc you name it.

The difference between these and classical is that they tell you *how* to feel when classical lets you do your own interpretation of the music.

To make a book equivalent it's like a YA/pulp fiction reader saying "Yes' literary fiction is better written but there is much more emotion with YA novels" just because it's easier to relate and use patterns.

Sounds like you're comparing contemporary music like Radiohead to classical which is not what I'm doing.

> There also used to be bookstores, now they're almost extinct

I remember a Louis CK interview where he talks about how every bookstore used to be unique, representing some particular niche. You'd go to whatever store matched your interests, or you could go to a different store and find something new. But these days EVERY SINGLE BOOKSTORE IS THE SAME. The same books you can find anywhere and buy for half the price online. What reason is there to check them out? And without that the resource of your favourite bookshop as aggregator, how are you supposed to find the good shit without doing copious amounts of research yourself? The only bookstores that have any soul left to them are the big second hand stores.

In conclusion, i want do tie

I wish I could be like "I remember those days". The only bookstores like that I've seen were one that was in my town growing up that went out of business when I was like 9, and was mostly catered to tourists anyway. The other two were when I lived in California for a short time and there was this large and old bookstore that was there since the city was a small feeble thing, and the other was an old used book store. The former let hobos in it and there was literally shit smeared on the bathroom walls (as well as other places) and piss puddles in them.

Anyway, both their 'specialties' were "Haha I'm an intellectual communist because I keep this on my shelf even though I've only read half the intro" and rantings by feminists.

Sad

In my country only 5% of the people reads at least one book in a year. So if you read some shitty YA you get skyrocketed to the thinking elite.

It's just a modern difficulty, where people expect faster gratification. Video games and movie fulfill this better than any book.

The only way to get people reading again is to bring back the desire to read, and in it the ability to forgo instant gratification.

Spain?

youtube.com/watch?v=U-pVz2LTakM
22:50
This piece gave reminded me of the power of melody, after having thrown it away for texture.

also, i like swans, but that's not a good exmaple.

where have i heard that piano being sampled before?

>average person reads 0 books a year
>why
>average person
>average
>person
>average
>why
>why does the average person do this thing I think is dumb

youtube.com/watch?v=KsIATAaR-X0

What about this?

and ive heard of an eye roll... but a pupil roll? Now that ive unheard of

Define average person.

Its not actually 0 bucko

You.

People today are mentally and physically lazy. Almost 2/3's of Americans are overweight...there is a correlation with books and mentality. Some people do not have the mental capacity to divert their sole attention to a story. They are too wired to their phones...shot attention spans...things aren't really looking good.

>music is shit except le indie
>scaruffi
>swans

You're not unique for browsing /mu/ and parroting what you read there

That graphic is barely readable tbqh.

>cultural marxism
go away

It's beautiful

no

Italy

books are booooooooooooooring
you have to sit down
and read
and like totally much
because they have like really really many words
and i have no time for that
and it´s boring
there is no action
just boooooooring words

Christ you sound like a douche.

Let's be real most of Veeky Forums only reads because of the e-cred, just look at the average shelf thread or one of their lists.

All high school garbage desu.

he asked why
i wrote the reaction i get if i ask why (maybe a little bit exaggerated but still)

yeah and guess what, classical is still being made today.

Classical started to go downhill after the romantic period though.

Baroque master race.

baroque is boring

minimalism is where it's at

>i want do tie
You want to tie a hangmans noose?

>Baroque is boring.

It isn't but I respect your opinion. I find minimalism boring myself.