Just broke a small tritium vial, and got a good deep breath in directly adjacent to it

Just broke a small tritium vial, and got a good deep breath in directly adjacent to it.
Feeling very strange, shaky, weak.
Is it related? Could it be the tritium? Phosphorus?
Will I die?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_hormesis
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2477686/
iaea.org/inis/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/36/113/36113744.pdf
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2657508/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Tritium reaction don't create any fumes, it's psychological.

u gon die my dude

Not the phosphorus either?

No, not unless you burn it on the stove.

The phosphor is a solid and will stay in the tube, the tritium is chemically harmless but the momentary radiological exposure has a miniscule chance of giving you cancer someday.
You're shaky and weak because you're freaking out.

>momentary radiological exposure
wouldn't the DNA corrupt right away to cause any cancer? Anything he might be exposed to will get out of his system in very short time.

not that guy but theres typically a threshold of ~10 years or so before the onset of cancer due to exposure to ionizing radiation.
you def did not ingest enough to yield any negative biological effects though

same guy, not OP. So it might have just decreased the DNA lifespan to cause cancers earlier? Because tritium would be strong enough to do that.

It takes a long time to go from DNA error to tumor to symptoms.

Thanks user.

>Will I die?

Depends on how you look at it.

So you're saying there is a good chance I could get super powers?

If by "super powers" you mean cancer then yes. Yes you could.

There's a latency period following exposure to ionizing radiation in quantities significant enough to increase your risk of cancer.
But there is also evidence that low doses, even in addition to nominal background levels, can yield health benefits, and decrease rates of local cancer occurrence
You were not exposed to enough ionizing radiation to cause any increase in cancer risk.
Tritium is the lowest-energy beta emitter, with a maximum range of less than 5mm in air.
Biological half life is only 10 days anyway, and if you're really worried, just drink more water than you would typically to flush it out more quickly.

If the tumor grows around the ventral tegmental area in the right spot, it will cause your brain to constantly release dopamine which will make you high and happy all the time until you die. But all the other 99,9999% outcomes of getting cancer will give you a painful and slow death with slowly shutting down your systems.

>But there is also evidence that low doses, even in addition to nominal background levels, can yield health benefits, and decrease rates of local cancer occurrence
I heard something like that too. It's like body is getting used to radiation to defend a higher dose later on. I haven't seen any evidence or know exactly how it works though. But since cancer is something that the body creates due to DNA damage(atleast in most cases) it might be true.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_hormesis

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2477686/

iaea.org/inis/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/36/113/36113744.pdf

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2657508/

I suggest you write your will op

Thanks

For ingested contamination exposure beta emitters are more damaging biologically. Other than that breathing gaseous tritium will only deposit a tiny amount in your body, and that amount will start being filtered out when you pee. It works really similarly to medicine half lifes, where the chemical properties of the radioactive isotopes determines how long it stays in your body.

>Biological half life is only 10 days anyway, and if you're really worried, just drink more water than you would typically to flush it out more quickly.

Tritium is radioactive so it could def give you radiation sickness if the dosage is high enough. Are you dead yet?