Who are your top literary and philosophical geniuses in history?

me, have you fucking read my diary dude!?

Plato
Augustine
Aquinus
Leibniz
Wittgenstein
Lewis
Kripke

Laozi
Emerson
Joyce
/endlist

Nice. Have you read "On the Plurality of Worlds"?

Of course. Modal realism is the only thing that comforts me about this worst possible world

>Augustine
>Aquanus

Top fucking kek my dude. Stop with the memes, Augustine was useless in philosophy outside of his thoughts on time, and even then Kant blew him the fuck out later. Elsewhere, he just took New Testament thought to its logical conclusion. Aquanus is barely comprehensible meme tier BS

Pythagoras
Plato
Cicero
Plotinus
Jesus
Buddha
Jung

Plato, Hegel, Nietzsche. Not even necessarily favorites, but they're who I'd consider the 'top geniuses.' Followed by Aristotle, Heidegger, Kant, Wittgenstein.

And as someone who primarily focuses on continental philosophy, disregard anyone who names a post-Heidegger continental philosopher in this category.

Augustine
Aquinas
Ibn Arabi
Plato
René Guenon

>Plato on the same list as Nietzsche

>as someone who primarily focuses
Kek. Yeah? Don't we all.

So would you dismiss Sartre in that category?

Also, I would definitely include Wilson and Leary, and their eight circuit model of consciousness. It is a crime that Leary's political reputation at the time overshadowed this fascinating, playful body of philosophical work.

Yes? As a Nietzschean, ranking philosophers becomes not a matter of who was correct but who were most creative, imaginative, original, and transformative.

Sartre is a hack. The point I'm making is all of the post-Heidy continental guys didn't *really* bring anything too groundbreaking or even original (a lot of them were just rehashing Nietzsche). They were very smart guys and I love reading and being influenced by them, but Foucault, Arendt, Adorno, and co. are in no shape or form 'geniuses.' The analytic side had smarter guys, even.

both belong there.

sartre is just bad heidegger

>most creative, imaginative, original, and transformative

and you took the one we dont even know if it were his thoughts

>even then Kant blew him the fuck out later
1) Why "even Kant"? Kant disproved literally every philosopher before him
2) By such a sentence you prove your ignorance of how philosophy works from the dawn of time

>Aquanus is barely comprehensible
Aquinas arguments are really fucking easy to understand. You must be literally retarded not to be able to follow his logic, especially when he laid it out in the easiest possible format to follow with assertions and objections to those assertions

A good point, but even if we take his works to be exercises or whatever, the massive influence and creative transformation of the world Geist as a result of his works remain.

philosophy isn't intelligent. it's just shitposting that you guys take seriously cause it's old.

Don't waste a post to reply to him, he's just a troll who has never even tried to read Thomas

Joyce

LOL

Well, in this same thread there is even one who named Jesus

The ignorance

nice counter-argument.

What are you talking about? Why isnt Joyce a literary genius?

True I saw that. Baffling.

The topic is philosophy and you named a novelist. Genius, ok, but still a novelist

> Literary and Philosophical

Genkhis Khan, Attila, Saladin, Timur Lenk, Alexande the Great, Aurelius, Julius Ceasar, Rommel, Patton, MacDouglas, the Judge,

Finnegans wake is unreadable psychobabble. Same with most of Ulysses. People just elevate him to feel smarter because they don't get what he was saying. Neither did he

Didn't notice that, sorry

It says literary though.

(Although that is funny to think of someone naming Joyce as their favorite philosopher)

Yeah it's funny because he didn't write even a single page of philosophy

I don't read Finnegans Wake.

I named him mostly because he wrote "A Portrait", but Ulysses certainly isn't rambling.

Okay I did love Portrait

What was he trying to do with Ulysses? I was impressed with the language but left completely bored.

Dante
Kant
Leopardi
Aquinas
Plato
Lucretius

Diogenes
Virgil
Me
Flaubert
Proust
Thomas Pynchon

Me is trash

Is it just me or Me is actually a talentless hack?

It's going to be OK.

Augustine
Hobbes
Bradley
Wittgenstein
Heidegger
Plato
Aquinas

Parody the mythical Greek hero

Been really into theology lately. Have read most Plato, a lot of Aristotle, Augustine's Confessions, and some Aquinas. Just read the new testament, going to finish the old testament soon, then I'm looking forward to reading Plotinus, Philo, Josephus, Eusebius, and more Augustine and Aquinas. I've read bits any pieces of all of them, and I know I will enjoy them when I dive in.

For ancient history my favorite are Herodotus, Polybius, Plutarch, & Livy. For literature love me some myth, Homer, Hesiod, Beowulf, the Bible. Also Melville and Willy Shakes

William Blake

Me.

I don't care what anyone else says.

If you don't care then why are you posting here? ;^)

i love heidegger but he was kind of a nutcase.
being and time is mostly jargon that just goes round in circles. but that might just be me, maybe he is a genius.

Sam Harris
Richard Dawkins
Christopher Hitchens
James Randi
Maynard James Keenan

Butthurt creationist detected

damn you got him i am putting this on r/atheism

Nee Chee