What is the most expensive book you own?

I have a 1914, first edition print of Dubliners, by James Joyce.

It retails for around £185,000. It was given to me by my grand father years ago, I had no idea how valuable it actually was.

Other urls found in this thread:

dustjackets.com/pages/books/4453/william-faulkner/sound-and-the-fury-the
amazon.com/Tomb-Tutankhamen-Volumes-Howard-Carter/dp/B002OT2MI8
bonanza.com/listings/The-Tomb-of-Tutankhamen-by-Howard-Carter-3-Vols-Easton-Press-Leather-Collectors/79313101
ebay.ie/itm/Ulysses-1935-Signed-by-Henri-Matisse-and-James-Joyce-624-1500-with-Slipcase-/262871738748?hash=item3d3460697c:g:PGAAAOSwxehXPOGR
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What condition is it in?

Does it have its dust jacket?

You should have it appraised. You got a photo of the actual thing?

It still has the selves yes, however, my grand father (or whoever actually had it lying around) was a heavy smoker. The pages have gone yellow due to the nicotine - and it has a very vague smell of smoke. My grand father did not smoke. Aside from that, it's in pristine condition.

>my grandfather was a heavy smoker
>my grandfather did not smoke

>You should have it appraised
I have, there is a bookstore in peter harrington that sells rare books, I scheduled an appointment with the "expert" and she said it's a legitimate copy, they even had one too.

Oh shit, brain fart, I didn't mean to type that

I don't have anything as crazy as you but I have a lot of modern first editions like Women and Men which is around $100, Take Five which is often listed for several thousand dollars but nobody is gonna buy that shit, and then 5 or 6 first US edition books from Nabokov that are worth around $100 each

I don't own it, but I would love to have a copy of the 1934 Random House Ulysses (first American Edition)

they dont make em like they used to
I want a copy of The Sound and the Fury with the original cover tbhhhhhhhhhhh

Bullshit. Post a picture then.

You can buy a great reprint for $22 from Fascimile Dust Jackets. Just get the right size book to cover and fool everyone.

dustjackets.com/pages/books/4453/william-faulkner/sound-and-the-fury-the

About half of Marx-Engels-Werke (1959 edition in German) or my 1928 English translation of Thus spake Zarathustra. I paid more for the Marx.

>pics or it didn't happen

my most valuable book is a first edition of The Weary Blues by Langston Hughes. Signed and given as a gift from the author to my great great grandfather. No clue how much it's worth

Which part did you not mean to type!?

That is fucking stylish and tasteful, would proudly display on shelf with face out

I've been curious about that cover. Are those supposed to be the arms shadows reaching out and around, holding the body?

Sell it.

Probably a tie between Imperial Russian Uniforms 1907-1917 and Caucasian Battlefields 1828-1921 both books cost me ~$80 or so.

That's pretty sweet user

I only have cheap shit, probably nothing worth more than 40€

First edition of waiting for Godot

I've got my grandfather's first editions of T.E Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom and Revolt in the Desert, a centenary edition of Lord of the Rings, and complete set of Shakespeare. I imagine the first two are the only ones increasing in value however.

i have a bible from the year 1800. but it's condition isn't very good. i still really like it but i don't think it's worth a lot

here's a pic

It looks good to me. And I bet it's pretty valuable, even if it isn't in ideal state.

it has water damage (a friend of my father rescued it from a flooded house). the lether is blasted open.
i've did a half assed google research and since it's only a small bible and not extensively illustrated, it probably has no big value. maybe 200$ or so. but that would be without the waterdamage

>posts a 100k bible
>I don't think its worth a lot
nice bait

My grandmother has two bibles from from 1860s and 1870s. I don't think they are worth much really, but they're fun to look at. PRetty much in the similar shape as but without the water damage.

Age isn't the only factor, you pleb fuck.
Are you an expert on rare and valuable books? Oh, you're not?
So shut the fuck up then.

I have:
>A set of Dante's Inferno in Italian from the early 1800s.
>A 1st edition of 'A burnt outcase' by Graham.
>A copy of 'Atlantis' by Ignatius Donnelley.

I have a signed first ed of The Open Window by Olan which will be worth a lot in a few years, there was only a very limited run of her work and it hasn't been reprinted since.

Family bibles aren't rare and valuable; fucking retard.

I have a very old (possible first edition but I can't figure out) copy of Robert Browning's Men and Women.

Also, i know someone who apparently has an original Erasmus bible, and that's probably worth quite a bit of money.

>Retails for £185,000
>Retails

Yeah, I popped in to Waterstones the other day and saw that edition too. Couldn't believe the price, but the amount of loyalty points I would have got would have been insane.

I Ching with commentaries
not that expensive but also my favorite book

i own the current Folio Society editions of Finnegans Wake and Ulysses - £110 and £125, respectively

ALso own Folio's 1998 Ulysses which cost £90, no idea of its actual worth

Have a few, but none like yours-- one worth about a k. Just last week I dropped 67$ on a cheapo rare paperback ed. of Le Corbusier's When the Cathedrals were White. I had quite a bit of credit at the shop, however.

very nice

kek I hope you have a bunch of pianos or tables with 3 legs

Probably my signed copy of Infinite Jeat. First Edition, not first printing.

... jest*

Signed first ed. by the Gassman

*swoon*
Did he fart right into your eyeballs afterward?

Only rare or especially valuable book I have may be my signed copy of The Redemption of an African Warlord by Joshua Blayhi (formerly known as General Butt Naked).

This is my first time posting in Veeky Forums so excuse my faggotry but I have all three books of The Tomb of Tutankhamun by Howard Carter by the Easton Press, I paid like $500+ for them. I honestly don't know what they're worth and can't find anything to identify their print date or number

He gave me a big sloppy kiss

>The Tomb of Tutankhamun by Howard Carter by the Easton Press

amazon.com/Tomb-Tutankhamen-Volumes-Howard-Carter/dp/B002OT2MI8
>new: 338
>used 275

you got fucked my friend

Pretty poorfag so the most valuable I've got is a copy of London Consequences by Drabble et al which is probably worth a hundred pounds or so

bonanza.com/listings/The-Tomb-of-Tutankhamen-by-Howard-Carter-3-Vols-Easton-Press-Leather-Collectors/79313101

>197

>My grandmother has two bibles
nobody gives a shit user

So, no fart-play?
Disappointed.

Muh. ther. fuckers, at least someone pointed it out

Also user, Bonanza is a piece of shit. that poor bastard who bought them probably got fucked harder than me. I tired buying from the site before and they allow scams to happen way worse than ebay. buying a CD has never been a bigger pain in the ass

eh i dunno, maybe my complete Gutenberg Bible

Complete Works of Shakespeare from Costco for $14.99

How did these fuckers write so much?

More like why

Keep that, if Gass gets a lot more popular after the bugger dies (like Joyce) then you might be able to partially retire on it.

Henry Darger: In the Realms of the Unreal, by John MacGregor.
Cheapest seller according to bookfinder is $400 USD, but it's been fluctuating between that and $600 for a while now. Not worth that much compared to some of the other things in this thread, but it's worth a lot to me.

Paranoia XP

Goes for about a hundred on Amazon these days

I'm guessing it's this one really shit translation of Augustine's Confessions (I'm guessing it's really shit because it's called The Meditations, but maybe it's an abridged collection or something).

It's 250 years old but it's battered to shit and back. It probably wouldn't sell for much at all, but no other book I own is worth much anyway.

Don't think it might be worth much, but I own a first edition of the first english translation of the Myth of Sisyphus from 1955. I also have (if I'm not mistaken) a first edition of the penguin release of Gravity's Rainbow.

Years ago, when I was helping my grandparents move house, I found a first edition of Bram Stoker's Dracula tucked away. The spine is fucked and the pages are cracked and yellowed, but it's all still legible. My grandad gave it to me as thanks.

I assume the whole things is a lie.

This is basically my holy grail.

ebay.ie/itm/Ulysses-1935-Signed-by-Henri-Matisse-and-James-Joyce-624-1500-with-Slipcase-/262871738748?hash=item3d3460697c:g:PGAAAOSwxehXPOGR

I'm unsure if it's rare, but I have a book about the Tuareg called "People of the Veil; Being an Account of the Habits, Organisation and History of the Wandering Tuareg Tribes which inhabit the Mountains of Air or Asben in the Central Sahara" written by Francis James Rennell Rodd

I think it's one of the few anthropological accounts of the Tuareg (or at least one of the earliest)

I would kill for this. Is it signed?

Probably father instead of grandfather

I own a 1937 pic related. Bought it for £50.

They were journalists by trade

I own this edition of Baudelaire's works.

Costed me like 135 USD

If that's legit, sell it and live the lit lifestyle.

How is there even a market for $200,000+ books? What I mean to say is, okay, let's say you have this book OP. How TF do you get someone to actually buy it? I assume the rare book seller isn't going to take it off your hands, not for anything close to the actual price. Do you just give it to a rare book seller and then they hold it for however long and then if it ever sells you get the majority of the money or what. Honestly it seems like a bit of a bummer, like, yeah, cool, it's worth a ton, but actually getting that money seems like a hurdle.

I have an old book of children's stories worth about $150 maybe, I got it for a buck at a yard sale

Auctions. Collectors for this things actually exist. Some universities could buy it too.

this guy doesn't actually have a copy. he never even posted a picture.

also, the only reason to keep something like this is if you are already extremely wealthy. i could pay off my house and start a nice college fund for my kids for the value of this book. which is what i would do immediately. along with posting a fucking time stamped photo here.

>i could pay off my house and start a nice college fund for my kids for the value of this book

wew lad, take this back to pleb city

I own a copy of Michael Palin's volume 1 of his diary signed personally by him (no "desu his diary" meme, he published a series of autobiographical books detailing his life). I bought the book and actually met him so he could sign it. I told him the first thing I could and that was how much I love Brazil (the film he performed in) and how much I love his documentary programmes.

It might not be very literary or Veeky Forums but it's probably the most valuable book I own for my own sentimental admiration and also because sorry for the cynicism, but the worth of it would go up when he eventually passes away. I wouldn't sell it of course but I suppose there's always that thought lingering in my head.

I have a few other books signed by their authors but they were locally published and may not be worth much. Nonetheless it's always pleasant when an author is willing to sign a book for a fan.

Would be legitimately worth quite a bit. Keep hold of it, user.

first edition (first english translation) or Journey to the end of the night by Céline. Dont have it as I gave it to my best friend for his birthday, as its his favorite book.

I plan on it. Hoping it maintains meme status for that reason alone.