Was this guy really that good?

many black kids in my classes obsess over this guy

is he really that good a writer on the level of Joyce? or even better?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oFeoS41xe7w
youtube.com/watch?v=-JIp9_IIV3s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

He ruined everything Malcolm X worked towards, so I suppose that took some talent.

>on the level of joyce

fuck no, nobody can touch the fartmaster

But Baldwin is good. I frankly don't give a damn about his political essays but his fiction is top-shelf stuff.

Every writer with exceptional prose is compared with Joyce.

Having read them both, he's not as good as Joyce, but he's definitely up there. He's a very emotionally evocative and talented writer, the best to come out of the Harlem Renaissance IMO.

Read Sonny's Blues if u want a taste, Giovanni's Room if u want his best.

This might be bait, but whatever. I'm probably not qualified to say whether he's as good as Joyce but I think that's doubtful. Regardless, he's a very good writer. Absolutely worth the read.

He was quite smart, great orator and memory.
youtube.com/watch?v=oFeoS41xe7w

youtube.com/watch?v=-JIp9_IIV3s

The only good black authors are those who pretend they are white.

Pic related.

Seriously, just complaining about how black you are doesn't make good literature.

You either haven't read Baldwin or bitterly misunderstood him.

can you explain this?

He's excellent. Writes a damn good essay.

He's good. He led an interesting life.
He was briefly Marlon Brando's roomate pre fame for both.
Post fame he was good friends with Marguerite Yourcenar and Miles Davis both used to visit him when he moved to the South of France.
His first three novels are great. Booze took its toll on his later fiction but he still had one more great collection of essays before he died.

>why doesn't everyone give everything to us why, are people not starving for uz and shiet my nigga
>relies on race card and virtue signaling
>smart
Yeah, I'm sure its really interesting to debate uppity niggers. The things is that they never change even when they are shoehorned everywhere and get so many privileges(affirmative action, race cards) and soon they will get what they deserve.

Myopic gibberish.

go to /pol/

>affirmative action
>Baldwin

You have to be a special kind of retard, not just a normal one like the rest of us.

I read "No Name on the Street" in high school. I remember it being pretty fucking fantastic and his other essays are of the same quality. One of the best black writers and one of the better American writers to boot.

Are you saying you do NOT like black people????

but he looks exactly like monkey.

I always suspected that /pol/tards were the biggest plebs on this board.

He's good, but so many of his fans are insufferable, and everyone who's attempted to be his successor (and there are many) has been a total hack. It may be hard, but don't let that ruin his work for you.

Yes, pleb.

/thread

Kys my man

When is J00t going to build wall?

Regardless of that, I thought buckleys turn was monumentally magnificent, tremendous, awe inspiring, epic, sensational, very impressive, marvelous. Baldwins speech was quite great, there were some iffy moments, but, all those words I used to describe bucks, could be said of his, for such a real time, for both of them, in the moment out pouring of linear sensory making.

I used to as a younger youth, when I first saw that video, think, yeah it doesnt matter what buckley says, like, that time period, and leading up to it, you cant really defend the atrocities and chaotic clashing and conflicting etc. the harshnesses of relaities; and still the same arguments and discussions are being had today (and I rightly or wrongly presume, it was likely harsher then, and then, was fashioned and in the middle of being 'progressed' away from, a harsher still near past and so on and so on), to just dismiss, yea... but you are the power and they are the powerless, you are the master they are the slave... and I cannot fully take any one side, but as Buckley made some great Eternal points, though while admitting these problems are very difficult and sloppy and crazy, always... when it is '2 or so' people speaking about the activities and fates and desires and potentials of millions; but yeah, was very impressed and moved and touched by Buckleys speech there. Especially after Baldwins, and the crowd reaction, and the slow start (coming from one a bit nervous about the thought of public speaking at all, furthermore shit my pants level at the thought of having to speak for a half an hour straight (on a sensitive topic) from the dome, to overcome such energy that was just established against you, tremendous kudos, and while in the many years since those younger years I have gradually and quickly saw the rightness and correctness that could be seen in Buckleyness (though I can never bring my self to agree fully, that the ways of the world are fully just and unstacked in anyway), I now have a profound respect and admiration for that man and his passion, dedication, knowledge, wisdom, skills and talents, bravado... bravo

His poetic realtime command of language (and to the high value degrees it was signifying) was beautiful, a gloriously captured moment in human history, I felt as if I was watching an ancient roman leader orate; and as I had known his famous use of obscure difficult haughty heady words, he threw a few out there I did not and do not and couldnt be bothered or maybe able to look up.

The biggest indication of a /pol9k/ pseud bait-thread is measuring a non-white or female author against Joyce. Which says nothing of Joyce, it's just that you retarded faggots that pretend to read hail Ulysses as """best book""" and can't think of anyone else as a point of comparison. Why the fuck would you compare an experimental prose stylist modernist writer with a Harlem Renaissance writer?
Because you're a dumb faggot.

Baldwin's pretty good btw. I like watching youtube vids of him speaking.

I know this is ironic but it isn't clever or funny and it drags the post quality down into the muddy ditches. Please stop.

Malcolm X was a racist idiot.

What are the best Harlem Renaissance writers?

>nigger
It's 2017, please.

Why is al sharpton on Veeky Forums

he left the noi you retard

Coming through with the greatest novel written by an African-American.

Malcom X was a fool.

>pretend they are white

Good one; now back go to bed it's past your bedtime.

back to /pol/ brainlet