“Set theory is wrong” and nonsensical (PR §174), says Wittgenstein...

>“Set theory is wrong” and nonsensical (PR §174), says Wittgenstein, because it presupposes a fictitious symbolism of infinite signs (PG 469) instead of an actual symbolism with finite signs. The grand intimation of set theory, which begins with “Dirichlet's concept of a function” (WVC 102–03), is that we can in principle represent an infinite set by an enumeration, but because of human or physical limitations, we will instead describe it intensionally. But, says Wittgenstein, “[t]here can't be possibility and actuality in mathematics,” for mathematics is an actual calculus, which “is concerned only with the signs with which it actually operates” (PG 469). As Wittgenstein puts it at (PR §159), the fact that “we can't describe mathematics, we can only do it” in and “of itself abolishes every ‘set theory’.”

Now that the dust has settled, was he right?

>philosophers trying to STEM

His understanding of mathematics was crank tier at best. Dude probably couldn't have even shown equivalence of Axiom of Choice, Zorn's Lemma, and Well-Ordering Theorem.

I agree that we can't describe mathematics but it is pretty funny that he does not notice that arguing that set theory has no place in math is in itself a type of description of mathematics.

You can't have it both ways philosotards!

philosophy is for failed artists or scientists. no one would choose to be a philosopher over a genius composer or a genius scientist, because it is always a last resort profession, for failures and frauds
>Nietzsche - wanted to be a composer and failed
>Wittgenstein - wanted to be an engineer, failed, wanted to be a mathematician, failed, wanted to be a musician, failed
>Heidegger - wished he was a poet/artist, failed
>Schopenhaur - wished he was a musician so that wouldn't have to live his boring philosopher life, failed
>Russell - wanted to be a great mathematician, wasn't as smart as other mathematicians and so opted for philosophy
>every single modern anglo philosopher - wished they were mathematicians, but failed, so they try pathetically to use mathematical symbols and logic in their philosophy so that they can at least get the aesthetic of it

Philosophers are also all sad manlets trying to compensate for low self esteem
>Heidegger was like 5 feet
>Wittgenstein - 5'6"
>Nietzsche 5'8"
>Camus - 5'7"
>Kant - 5'0" LMAO
>Sartre - 5'0" LMFAO
>Derrida - 5'5"
>Zizek - 5'8"
etc. etc. etc..

Philosophers wish they could make an impact on the world, they wish they could create beautiful works of art, they wish they could be good looking Chads, but they always fail, so they try to argue their way out of it, reason their way our of it: "I may not be able to get that cute girl, but, uh, it's because I'm the Ubermensch, hehehe, right guys!?" Every philosophical theory has been overturned, and philosophy has NEVER come up with a definitive answer. It is a failed field, and no one takes it seriously. Philosophers are all sad, pathetic, delusional people.

>inb4 philosopher manlets try to refute this with "hurr durr spooks!" "muh muh philosophy was before science so therefore uh, uh, it's superior" or "surprise you've been doing philosophy ur whole l-life, haha gotcha!" or literal philosophical reasoning, proving my point exactly

LMFAO

damn, how broken a person do you have to be to htink to make a post liek this

>attack a person instead of his arguments

Oh damn did you learn this in philosophy 101 or is this one of the advanced courses in rhetoric?

>be Wittengenstein
>can't into diagonalization
>rail against it
>be wrong
>die

Autism

I don't know man have you seen r/rickandmorty? Nihilism and nihilist philosophers seem to have made a great impact in society.

Um sorry brainlet but your post itself is philoso- FUCK

Wittgenstein was a faggot who sucked strange dicks in parks after dark.

No, really, he was actually a faggot who sucked dick in parks, among other places.

Look it up, his life was one of closeted dicks.

He actually volunteered for suicide missions in WW1 and got decorated. That's more manly than you'll ever be faggot.

>the Virgin mathematician
vs
>the Chad philosopher

Kek that's not manly at all coming from him. If I was a philosotard waste of space like him I would volunteer for all the suicide missions I could get my hands on.

Unfortunately for you the only thing you'll get your hands on will be your dick.

>the Chad philosopher
>He hasn't even seen a deductive reasoning in his life

Only virgins need deduction. Chad philosophers use inductive reasoning.

>Veeky Forums: lets do a little cross board shitposting

>also Veeky Forums: REEEEEEEE FUCK YOU WHY AM I GETTING TRASH TALKED JUST BECAUSE OF A LITTLE SHITPOSTING REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I think it's time for all of you to go back

>Set theory is wrong
Why is my SQL still working then?

>I wish I was at home doing proofs
>Assburger arithmetic is decidable
>I didn't want to be a philosopher anyway
>Why is Wittgenstein getting all the citations
>Is that homotopy type theory flirting with computer science? Eww gross

>stems can't into discrete sets

That's all fine and good and I accept it because this is Veeky Forums after all but I hope that tomorrow when I show up at your Starbucks you can drop the fucking attitude ok? Also please don't even ask me about which milk I want. Just serve me whatever is normal milk so that I don't have to repeat myself every time. Thank you, man. Appreciate it. This is why we need philosophers like you, you brew mad coffee.

jokes on you I'm a NEET on autismbucks
time to sleep wagecuck
gotta be up early tomorrow :^)

Im in graduate CS with a BA in Philosophy/Psychology where I come from a cognitive linguistics background. This is a dope thread.

Remember that Wittgenstein is translated, and German logical analytic philosophy is dense with terms. Not knowing German, I take all Wittgenstein translations to be equivalent to a tertiary source at best.

was thinking the same lol
imagine how much has to happen to someone to make them look up and keep a list of philosophers heights

mathlets
when will they learn?

>Philosophers wish they could make an impact on the world
it's kind of undeniable that philosophy impacts civilization. there, i attacked your autism. like damn, you must be a sad person to actually write this post. you reek of the worst kind of narcissism and self hatred and it's so apparent that you feel the need to project it outward. and no, i'm not a humanities faggot. i genuinely pity your sad ass though.

cmon dude the guy has spergomialgia, cut him some slack.

>taking posts on Veeky Forums this seriously
No, the autismo is you

it's trudeu

This is a pasta, I've seen it on Veeky Forums.

unless youre currently publishing mathematics, wittgenstein was definitely better at maths than you.
ps russell was the seventh Wrangler of Cambridge
( ive read Wittg in german and english and desu the modern translations - with copious footnotes - are pretty good)

Wittgeinstein is more Veeky Forums than Veeky Forums

>he is a stemtard who can only think in dogmas
Must be the lack of blood flow

Why do brainlets have a problem with infinity?

That wasn't ad hominem
He was just roasting you.

Einstein was about 5'7"

What a manlet. Von Neumann's head alone was 6 feet high.

Nietzsche and Wittgenstein were anti-philosophers.

So does anyone agree with his conception of set theory being useless?

That's kind of the point of all of Wittgenstein's later philosophy. He is writing about things that he explicitly states can't be written about sensically, and he is very aware of this. The reader is expected to be able to "read between the lines" and cultivate an understanding of the limitations of language.

Set theory only exists because of fetishists who believe in axiomatic proofs and worship euler (who's second "axiomatic" postulate was wrong)

And the reason people believe in a perfect and eternal math than can be described axiomatically is because of christian control of universities from 1400s to 1900s. Christians believed that christianity was a perfectly logical word of god and math was their way to prove that. If a perfectly logical, self evident math could be created it would only glorify the perfectly logical, self evident truth of the word of god.

What it lead to was of course a math as nonsensical and self-referential and unreliable as the bible. And the biggest example of this kind of perversion of a field that should rely on emperical and inference, relying only on inference is set theory.

The fact that this is taught to students around the globe is nothing short of mass christian propaganda.

what's the alternative, then? randomly throwing shit around on intuition and aesthetics doesn't produce consistent and applicable systems (reminder that mathematics via technology runs the entire world).

not really, they critiqued it but consumed, ascribed and engaged in it.

Yes, it's all the Illuminati's fault

Reminder that Aristotle had the PHENOTYPE tho

>And the reason people believe in a perfect and eternal math than can be described axiomatically is because of christian control of universities from 1400s to 1900s

ever heard of the pythagoreans, newfriend??

back to school m8

Another example of this is newton's flawed understanding of the universe based on a flawed understanding of time. A mistake by a great man doesn't diminish his greatness but when you realize that newton's understanding of time was christian in nature (something moving at a constant speed in a specified direction) and was due to him trying to find the christian notion of god's perfect work to describe the universe, the problem becomes larger than just a mistake. The very notion of science and math as a tool to understand god's perfect work is flawed.

Einstein suffered the same problem when he described the universe as static for his work before the hubble discovered the expanding universe.

math and science are the greatest tools humankind has discovered. but certain aspects of both are tainted by a deep-rooted christian belief in self-evident (which realistically mean self-referential) proofs.

Like my two examples above when you start doing math and science on assumptions that you didn't infer or observe but believed to be self-evident and perfect you're creating a work of fiction at best or religious dogma at worst.

formal mathematics (and to a lesser extent theoretical physics which has rid itself of christian dogma to a large degree due to "perfect" laws/theories being proved wrong time and time again) is an exercise in masturbation. all math and science needs to be based on emperical AND inferential observations not one or the other.

do you even know who set up universities and controlled them during the age of discovery and beyond. this isn't some theory about an underground network pulling our strings. these universities were set up and operated with a single purpose, expanding the christian empire. this isn't a secret in any way. and just because today these universities are called western instead of christian doesn't mean they've rid themselves of their original purpose either.

ever thought about why greeks are considered western(read: christian) thought despite their far greater interaction and influence on asian civilizations?

the reason was for the church to give itself ancient lineage. it co-opted greek work (and in some cases claimed byzantine, egyptian, scythian and indian discoveries as greek) and claimed it was perfect immutable work with divine inspiration. greeks had similar notions about math remembered rather than learned or invented as the christian notion of discovering god's perfect work which made things easier.

once you juxtapose the glorification of greek math and astronomy by western universities against their horribly inaccurate - even for the time - calendar you start to realize how fictionalized the entire narrative is.

the greatest minds of math and science tend to be christian though

Euler, Gauss, Newton etc. etc.

why is that?

> When you realize that your desperate attempt to find a perfect set of axiom and logic rules from which you could derive all valid knowledge which led you to autistically refuse any exercise or problem solving of any sort because it would involve an heretical cycle of guess (even educated) and errors was due to a centuries long christian conspiracy.

t.brainlet

because for most of history post 1400s only christian works were admissible as science or math by the church and thus the church controlled universities. not only that but any reference to non-christian sources (which conveniently excluded greeks) would also get you arrested for heresy. which means anything learned from other civilizations (like the table of sines, radius of the earth etc.) would have to be passed off as your own work even if you wanted to cite or credit original works.

why is it that works from india such as formal algorithms, 360 deg circle, infinite series, binary, place holder number systems, decimals, negatives, solution to quadratic equations etc. are secular in nature with the origin source not even mentioned. whereas works by christian scientists are lionized and have their christian name splattered across it. are we going to call pythagoras theorem the baudhyana theorem anytime soon?

anyway, i hope i've given you all something to chew on. try to look beyond your own dogma and indoctrination and you'll start seeing how much of a christian hoax most of formal mathematics is

because the greeks were the first to introduce the concept of mathematical proofs

Euclid was the first to introduce a deductive, axiomatic system of mathematics

Modern mathematics stems from the Greek lineage, more so than the empirical mathematics of Egypt, India, Babylonia etc.

and what you explain about the infinite series, binary etc. those might of been hinted at in India

but it was White Europeans that made the most out of it

Euler is the father of modern math, Gauss is superior to any Indian mathematician in history

not to include Von Neumann, Grothendieck etc.

name one Indian that matches the intellect of Newton or Einstein?

I'll wait

its funny that this guy is talking about how indian "empirical" mathematics is superior to "christian" formal mathematics

yet Europe became the height of human civilization while India remains a shit hole to this day, so much for its empirical mathematics

Who let the liberal arts faggot in jees.

Von Neumann and Grothendieck were Middle Eastern shitskins