Have a vegan friend who legitimately believes red meat causes cancer. What should I tell them?

Have a vegan friend who legitimately believes red meat causes cancer. What should I tell them?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Areca_nut
epic-oxford.org/publications/1506/cancer-risk-in-vegetarians
examine.com/nutrition/does-red-meat-cause-cancer/
examine.com/nutrition/is-processed-meat-bad-for-me/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That like any substance, consume in moderation and with a healthy lifestyle one will be fine.

You should tell him you don't want to be friends anymore.

That he's a faggot.

burn their house, barney sandals style

He may be right. He may be wrong. Why would you want to tell him anything when there's really no reliable data on the subject? But if you live in the US it's probably a bad idea to eat the meat there. That shit is disgusting.

It does cause cancer just like anything else given the right conditions

not if you eat it raw

Depends on the growth hormones but fuck it who wants to live to 90 without stake? Not me.

There are plenty of problems with vegan foods if you don't have a varied diet. Spinach can cause kidney stones because of oxalates, grains can cause mineral deficiencies because of phytic acid, alcohol is vegan and causes lots of problems if you consume too much, etc. Processed meats barely increase your cancer risk because of the preservatives used. Unprocessed meats were said to "probably" cause cancer but it wasn't proven. Like user said

People should be more concerned about pollution causing cancer, it's been proven to directly cause numerous health problems and increase your risk of cancer more greatly than eating meat is even theorized to.

stick him with a dirty needle

>(you)

>What should I tell them?
You should tell them that they are literally made of red meat.

This. Plants cause cancer on a higher level than red meat.

Look at Betel Nuts for example.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Areca_nut

Literally, Cancer in Fruit Form.

What possessed evolution to make this shit/

this is such a stupid post. you are
>clutching your pearls over what is basically some other culture's tobacco
>getting shocked that a plant would evolve to be harmful to us as if that's unnatural
>posting about a mild narcotic substance in a food thread
I hope you die for wasting my time with your retarded post

He's right though. Consuming red meat increases one's chance of getting cancer. Processed meat products are especially hazardous.

You don't have to deny the facts, you still get to eat whatever you want.

>Have a carnivorous friend who legitimately doesn't believe red meat causes cancer. What should I tell them?

>Processed meat products are especially hazardous.
The increase in chance of getting cancer from processed meat is less than 1%. Unprocessed meats weren't proven to cause cancer.

Red meat, like tobacco smoking, is fine in moderation. Believe me goy. Just believe me. Why something so good can be harmful. Thats nonsense.

That heart disease and diabetes tho.

That's most likely from being overweight and sedentary, and too much sugar. Sugar is vegan, most people eat too much of it, and that definitely causes health problems.

tell them that they are made of meat

That UV rays in sunlight causes cancer as well

That you care enough to post on ck about it

It does.This is the result of living past 50.

this actually caught me off guard for a second, wow

tell xem this:
epic-oxford.org/publications/1506/cancer-risk-in-vegetarians

can someone actually describe for me how eating red meat increases your risk of cancer? I can understand the whole "smoking -> increased risk of mouth/throat/lung cancer" thing but like what the fuck is it about beef that makes me more likely to get whatever cancer they've linked it to as compared to fish or chicken or whatever else?

I remember reading that the char on a steak or something could increase your chance of cancer because it contains carcinogens but hats about it.

examine.com/nutrition/does-red-meat-cause-cancer/
This is what you're looking for. Easy explanations, sources cited.
Bottom line - "As there have been no interventions, it cannot be concluded that red meat causes cancer or mortality. It is associated, but causation has not yet been established."
Regarding processed meats
examine.com/nutrition/is-processed-meat-bad-for-me/
Bottom line on that one - "Processed meats, through a combination of nitrates and heme (neither one alone appearing to be too much of a problem) appear to dose-dependently form carcinogenic nitrosamines. This is a phenomena very well researched in vitro (outside of living systems) and in animal models, with at least one human study noting that DNA damage has occurred in the colon following consumption of processed meat products. Due to the current state of research (survey research showing a connection, but no interventions existing due to ethical complications of possibly giving a human cancer intentionally) and the biological plausibility, it is reasonable to assume that processed meats do cause cancer.
However, in the survey research the hazard ratios and overall risk is fairly small. While this increased risk does exist (in a dose-dependent manner), due to its size it is wholly possible that dietary or supplemental interventions to reduce cancer risk could eliminate the risk. The possibility of one unforeseen or additional variable negating the risk is why low hazard ratios tend not to be used, despite technically being an increased risk"

underrates

Living causes cancer

>what possessed evolution to make this shit

The fact that having a fruit that causes addiction to the animals that consume it and subsequently spread its seeds is probably a "good" reproductive strategy?

>You should tell them that they are literally made of red meat.
ROFL. Under rated post.

OP, you can't reason with vegans. They fail a reality check and logical reasoning just by being vegan. If he was retarded, lower IQ, would you argue with him? Would you tell that Down's Syndrome kid he's stupid if he said something you don't agree with? Or would you cater to his feelings and just be polite. You don't need to preach or correct every person you come in contact with. You don't need to be defensive either.

You can state "I'm sorry you feel that way, and thank you for informing me of the research, but I can assure you that I hope you respect my choices to dine for palate reasons primarily, not health reasons. I will live my life in a philosophical balance between life's rich enjoyment, and sensible easy choices at the same time." If he insists some more facts right at you, then you repeat the part about respecting you by not preaching about diet and nutrition. Draw the line. You can do it in a way that isn't confrontational. Imagine you are a latin lover cheating on your girlfriends, like a serial cheater, and someone is telling you some moral nonsense. Nature. It's your nature to eat a delicious steak. You will not be giving it up. Your weakness in life, just like the hot ladies.