How far above the surface of the planet do you have to be in order to see that it is spherical?

How far above the surface of the planet do you have to be in order to see that it is spherical?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CFrP6QfbC2g
youtube.com/watch?v=UAifzh7_-cg
youtube.com/watch?v=tfzNFL-M-9c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

whatever the ground elevation is

Do you want to see that it is spherical or that it is curved?

That's two different problems.

It really depends on your camera lens as to which way the horizon curves.

i like this meme

curved

a camera lens can make a seemingly flat surface look curved, but I am talking about the naked eye, not through a camera lens

I mentioned the camera, because in the upper image the horizon is convex, just slightly, by about 2-3 pixels. The further away from the camera center the more pronounced the effect, hence the antenna being much more convex. which is why all this shit is bolox until you have a "tilt–shift lens" to take the photos. It is the closest to the human eye in terms of lens barrel distortion, but they are retardedly expensive.

Anywhere. The main problem is depth reception. You need your eyes further apart to "notice" the effect better while standing at sea level. The effect is there, but most people don't notice it. The higher you go the more easily it is to notice. Thus, it is mainly up to how well you personally can discern it.

>The higher you go the more easily it is to notice.

If you have normal eyes that are a normal distance apart how high does a normal person need to go in order to notice the curvature of this spherical planet that we live on?

Your eye is a lens.

me too,fren

No clue, since I can see it while at sea on a ship, but only on really calm water.

How can distance overcome flatness?

At least 50 or so miles.

No, you can't.

Sure thing, kid.

Somebody needs to remake this with captions like one of those "sissy hypno" vids.

>50 miles
lmao no did you even research this at all
youtube.com/watch?v=UAifzh7_-cg
there is tons of pictures and videos from the 80-100k foot range where you can clearly see the curvature

I'll bet you don't even know why that doesn't matter. lol

not really though. The camera lens distorts the view and makes the planet look more curved than it would appear to the naked eye at that height. see

I just want to back you up before anyone else disagrees.

People fail to grasp how absolutely gigantic the Earth is. All continuous topologies are locally flat, and even jet liner cruising altitude is pretty fucking local compared to the radius of the planet. A cursory google search shows that 10 km up, the curvature of the horizon is 0.056, "the same curvature of the rim of circle with a radius of 10 m that is viewed from 56 cm directly above the center of the circle" to directly quote wikipedia, which isn't discernable to the human eye especially with atmospheric refraction and cloud cover. 50 miles therefore doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

I think I could see the curvature of the horizon from an airplane at cruising elevation (~10km) on a good day in fortunate weather. But this might just be me fooling myself.

>This kill flat earthers
youtube.com/watch?v=tfzNFL-M-9c

you can see it on the surface using 2 sticks and their shadows and basic geometry

Stand in the crow's nest of a ship.

Nice image

>2nd image
Hah! You've given yourself away, now. The earth has been a dome shape all along.
You can't stop me now from going over the edge and climbing up to where all the gold is hidden.

You must be a connoisseur