Do you guys write in the margins or on blanks pages of your books (notes, etc)?

Do you guys write in the margins or on blanks pages of your books (notes, etc)?

I don't really treat my books like decoration and am not opposed to it, but I always thought it would make it too cluttered, requires reading with a pen in hand and pref. a desk, and would make it hard to lend books to people without transmitting your own interpretations and ideas to everyone.

I really want to hear people's opinions on note-taking or maybe other things you do. Do you have a notebook or post-its?

No I just write in the margins in a fine pen and if I lend it to someone they usually enjoy reading whatever I've written there

I photocopy all important pages from a book and keep them in a big folder (organised by author). Whenever I need to remember something or make a note, I do so on the photocopy. I can also reference book without having to look at the whole book.

Jesus. Vice is awful. How long were they relevant? Like 3 months?

t. triggered movie pleb

You know Fight Club is still a good movie

Well scripted. Well shot. Well acted.

Just because an edgy kid wants to be Tyler Durden doesn't change that.

t. triggered edgy vice fanboy
I bet you think cough syrup and sprite is a good night out.

but seriously, Vice is a shitpit. I had it after I realized their "do's and don'ts" section was completely arbitrary and mean spirited. Oh, this old lady likes to wear ponchos made of old blankets in the arctic circle? WHAT A LOSER. Fuck Vice.

Fight Club is an example of how a following can distort the perception people have of the content.

Thoroughly enjoyed the book as well as Invisible Monsters.

>Thoroughly enjoyed the book as well as Invisible Monsters.
Invisible Monsters is my favorite, with Rant at a close second. Veeky Forums used to sperg out about Palahniuk when he was immediately relevant and call everyone a faggot. Now that he's no longer relevant, everybody is coming out of the woodworks and admitting that hey, yeah, IV and Rant were actually pretty great.

I never really understood the hate. Palahniuk is impressive simply because of how versatile his writing is, I think.

It's literally the same as the Nietzsche trap. Every 14 year old feels marginalized by society, and reads some quotes and feels empowered.

Same shit with Fight Club. Babby's first encounter with existential nihilism.

Vice is a bunch of millenial manbun-toting, Bernie-voting vaper cucks. Bet they think The Matrix is a bad movie too.

I never write in my books. I keep them in as best condition as I can and also don't crack the spines or dog-ear the corners of pages. I keep binders with hand written notes on the books I've read. I also don't lend books out... Most people don't have any respect for books or other people's property anyways. I lent a book out to a girl ONE time in college and she kept it. Never again. One day I will be dead and my books will be in possession of someone else... They aren't even mine to write in; that's my mentality.

I read the article, and the conclusion the writer comes to is the same as everyone who bothers to watch the film, that the ideology Tyler and the Narrator espoused was wrong, and that idiots don't bother to get the film's message. I don't get why she says the film sucks, when her complaints are with the audience. I guess it wouldn't get clicks then.

lmao I've always hated vice, but this is gold.

I write all over it with different colors.

i tried watching this movie few weeks ago, for first time since i was 15. I enjoyed it but after half i decided to not waste more time on that. Whole premise of hypermasculine chads punching each other what helps them with their "depression" seems very childish

There are a lot of people who are exactly like that.

Write in the margins with a pencil-- and erase before either lending or selling. Occasionally, I'll transfer a note and page # to a notebook, usually before selling the book. If I feel a book is particularly important, I'll annotate the entire thing in a seperate notebook, keeping the book itself, clean.

>Fight Club is an example of how a following can distort the perception people have of the content.
Yeah. I mean the book is more explicit about Tyler being a psycho and Sebastian helping the reading to figure that out.

Palahniuk is like, one of the least versatile writers ever. Every book is another first-person narration by some maladjusted individual with a fucked up family life who does self-serving or nihilistic bullshit. There's also no real change in voice from character to character, only slight changes to the few turns of phrase they use and slight character ticks.
Palahniuk is the literary equivalent of the guy who created Law and Order. Law and Order was good, but everything he made after that was exactly the same thing with different actors and a steady decline in quality with every iteration.

It's like tattooing a set of perfect tits. When you can add nothing of value, why waste the ink? Do you actually go back over it and use the annotations you've made? I don't get it.

I hate both Matrix and Vice, where is your Neo now cunt?

>Everyone is coming out of the woodwork
Nigger, Chuck's been irrelevant for years and only a handful of people have come out as fans of his, and just in this thread.

I write in notebooks because of the lack of space + my hands tremble a lot, however if I ever have access to a book with writing in the margins I'd choose it over a new book for the simple reason that it's a chance to gain another person's perspective

Only on my non-fiction. I use 0.5mm graphite and generally make small syntheses of important paragraphs.

No, I've never done that. But . . .

>buy book at a thrift store
>open it and find that someone wrote a personal message under the cover/took notes/wrote commentary in the margins
I love this shit.

I write in my books, yes. Mostly it's just underlining with a few words.

I don't ever intend to sell my books or give them away and I have a tendency to reread certain books a lot and making notes is a good way to better understand the book.

>and just in this thread.
in the last week, i've seen about 10 people say it in just just as many threads

I usually just put stars next to passages I'd like to remember, particularly when reading poetry. If something really strikes me, I make a note of the passage in my notebook, then write down my thoughts once I'm done reading.

I don't write anything, but I like it when I get a used book and someone else has. I find it amusing what others thought so profound or interesting that they'd deface the book because of it.

wtf would you write? Someone post an example of an annotation that actually has use