Is political science a real science? Think about it, they use the scientific method to find knowledge...

Is political science a real science? Think about it, they use the scientific method to find knowledge. Isn't that what science is all about?

Other urls found in this thread:

smbc-comics.com/
economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2014/08/economists-and-public-opinion
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Anything that ends in 'science' or 'studies' is not a science

I dont think you know what a science is

everyone in /g/?

cs is a type of applied Mathematics. Mathematics is not a science, but a philosophy based on logic.

by examining the repeatability of their results

>physics majors throw a lot of shade considering they're still not sure where 95% of the universe is hidden

>using "shade"

There are two definitions to consider:
General science: any systematic field of knowledge.
Scientific science: systematic field that derives itself from the scientific method.

In recent years "science" has begun to solely refer to "scientific science". The "science" in political science refers to "general science", just as in "social sciences" and "computer science". Or even when mathematics and many other fields are referred to as "sciences".

Qualitative political science is not a science. Quantitative political science is just statistics.

you are wrong

you are right

give me a synonym

So prostitution is a science?

This is actually a good point, though. Prostitution is legal in Nevada, and it's really not that bad of a career if they work at a legitimate, legal location. Why would a legal, well paying job that's always hiring be banned? That's pretty much the one and only legal career that can't be mentioned

>be a physicist
>act all tough and snyde
>get ass hurt other people dare call themselves scientists
>don't even know where 95% of the universe is
>don't know what the missing part are
>literally uses the word dark
>don't even have theoretical concept for Gravity
>can't even tell what zero point energy is without fucking up hard
>makes up buzzword particles like "virtual partical" as a placeholder for things they don't understand
>despite knowing absolutely nothing, they still get asshurt when a new theory threatens their holes
>denounces and blocks any new research or concepts
>act like they know everything thanks to theoretical placeholders

Lol at physicists

I've seen alot of hot latinas who would make a killing. Remember most prostitutes have a no black guy policy. It would be a pretty red pilled career.

It uses statistics but it's far from being a working science.

White women are and always will be the most successful prostitutes. Even the hottest latina in the world would have a hard time making even half as much per hour compared an 8/10 white woman

If economics isn't a science neither is political science

Pic related

That picture just sums it up perfectly, doesn't it. The difference between physicists and political scientists is that only one of them is pretending to have answers. Other one will happily admit ignorance where appropriate.

what about computer science?

It might not ever be a science, but economics will always be more scientific than political science

Lol you're ridiculous

I love these comics. Where can I get more of them?

Computer science
Network science
Rocket science

Compsci is applied math, math is rational, science is empirical

Duh, Econ is the only respectable social """science"""

We can all agree that Geology is a science, right?

Does anyone fucking claim it's not?

I’ve seen math and physics majors claim its not.
Also the normies who watch Bazinga theory use “geology isnt a real science” as a catchphrase
I wanted to see what sci’s opinion was.
Im glad you guys are down with the rock

its called Earth Sciences for a reason famalam

(hint: you can apply the scientific method to theories in the Earth Sciences)

Geology is basically one of the typical 'sciences people immediately think of when they hear the word science along with physics, biology, astronomy and chemistry

They're just butt hurt geologists get paid in sweet petrodollars

smbc-comics.com/
He's been doing these since 2002

>physicists
Dont you mean Physishits?

when I think of physics and chemistry I don't think of geology. you even have to pad it with biology and astronomy to even justify putting geology in there lmao

>muh prostitution is a legitimate form of business
Prostitution is the second sign of a collapsing society.

Le bazinga man

On an unrelated note. Please prove to me that empiricism is true using axioms independent of the framework of empiricism?
You can't? Well then i guess you're all wrong.

yeah you can't know nuffin

>computer science
>a science
baka

No one who works with rockets sincerely calls their work "rocket science".

t. Psych major

Telling the speed by the rpm of the engine

I knew what factorials were too at the age of 6

Strawman.
Empiricism is a component of science, not the entirety of it.

real sciences : physics, chemistry and biology
retarded branches that retards call science : politics, sociology, gender studies, arts, humanities and everything else

In this economy? They'll probably be earning a lot more that their peers.
Might as well be honest to the next generation.

Parsons dindu nuffin.

Anything that you cannot conclude by empirical observation is not a science.

Psychology, sociology, political science - these are not sciences because you cannot really conclude anything through direct observation in controlled experiments that account for all the variables

>p implies q
>"What q can't imply p look at my zany counterexample"

Engineer: “3 or pi or e”

Don't make me complain to the street love ombudsman

Geology is cool. The "Geology isn't a real science" meme comes from le big bong theroy

Econ is fucking stupid. Bunch of """"econ scientists"""" making claims anyone else could, but everyone forgets when they're wrong and just praises them when they're correct.
If a person can have an legitimate OPINION on your subject it's NOT a science.
>inb4 t. econ fucked my wife

Science tier list:

Real science: Chemistry, physics, biology, geology, prostitution, geophysics

“”Science””: environmental science, economics, medicine, geography, archeology, astronomy, computer science, theoretical physics,

Not science: political science, psychology, sociology, gender studies, engineering, math

Paleontology goes in “”science”” tier as well

There's a lot of empirical work in CS

>political science
>using the scientific method

That never happens, though.

And nobody besides ideologues has ever concluded what is the best political or economical system, that is; in an objective manner, you can't find any kind of exactitude or consensus there, it will always be a very subjective field.

Based

>Cs is applied mathematics

Anything after that claim was immediately invalidated. Thanks for the kek though buddy!

>Not a single good predictive model
>A bunch of proposed utopias, but implementing them always fails

Why are the social "sciences" so useless?

geologists are just called Rock Jocks because they don't really use math

This is such a meme though because geology uses a lot of low level math (trig, statistics, and algebra)

I think even the most mature social sciences are still not up to the level of empirical rigor and falsifiable theorizing that the natural sciences are.

In the best cases, we are talking about really clever causal inference over messy data, and a strong-if-imperfect push for experiments when feasible. Plus a lot of clever toy models that amount to something between true theory and fun thought experiment.

Microeconomics illustrates this best, especially those portions of micro that are employable by tech companies. It's pretty much "data science" coupled with some old-school econometric methods. Look at Course 6-14 at MIT for an example of this new direction.

>Not science:...math
I don't think anyone claims math is a science. If it was STEM would just be STE because the m would be redundant.

There are a lot of people with opinions on economics that are completely illegitimate. The problem is that when economists reach a consensus on something it is ignored because politicians want to continue exploiting certain policy issues for votes.

economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2014/08/economists-and-public-opinion

Also, econ fucked your wife

>If a person can have an legitimate OPINION on your subject it's NOT a science.
economics is a science by that definition

it's actually a brilliant idea if you think about it

>make it a boring school subject
>make them pay taxes
>make unions for them with bureaucracy and fees
>make getting the license painful on par of getting a professional license
>make them compliant with safety regulations

done. no more prostitutes.

Shit

>no more prostitutes.
except the illegal ones

>rocket science
Cringed desu.

It's aerospace engineering.

The dude is right.

And they never will be. The social world of humans, heck even one human, is far more complex than anything else in the universe as far as we know. Humans are too dumb to understand themselves in a rigorous scientific way. Even the smartest man in the planet is an idiot that occasionally stubs his toe.

It's a soft science but yes it is a science.

>About your evaluation, well... lets just say with your 'talents' prostitute seems like the better career choice.

Give me a synonym that's not a bad word

How the hell is science a thing without rigorous testing and repeated phenomena.

no because their results aren't reproducible
saying they use the scientific method as a validation makes genders studies a literal science because they do use the scientific method, just with a ton of bias, so do psychology and sociology faggots

if you cant reproduce it, it isnt science

Literally every single society that has ever existed in all of human history has had prostitution. So yeah I guess it's technically true that every civilization that eventually fell had prostitution.

iirc they mostly do statistical work where they show correlation between various demographics and political parties. Mostly they are lefties looking for ways to confirm stereotypes of the right.
statistics ARE repeatable, its just that they don't tell us things we don't already know

soft sciences aren't real sciences. they can't genuinely use the scientific method.

b-but user give us a chance we will find it eventually desu

Assume, for simplicity, you can hear the rate at which the pistons are pumping, and the car is operated by an American attempting to use a stick shift car.

Slightly off topic but what does Veeky Forums think of astronomy? I'm a political science degree but its most bullshit that will only get you some shitty activist job or a job for some corrupt (((political group/party))) and I'd rather kill myself now than do that now.

My uni is a top school for exo-planet research, should I stop wasting my time and switch?

Are you interested in astronomy?
If not, no.

Do something you're interested in.

I think he meant widespread prostitution, and no that's not a good sign.

Pol Sci major here, no one in this discipline thinks political 'science' is a science, the name is just a hold over from back when the logical positivists thought that the social 'sciences' would eventually be subject to similarly terse rules as physics and math. Strangely, everyone seems to realize this except the scientists who now study the disciplines that descend from those that made that peculiar error. I can only assume that physical sciences attract the literal-minded, and thank goodness for them.

It's only a matter of time. Although it'll be neuroscience which gets us there.

>I-I just want to make video games.

>earth science isn't a real science

>
>>earth science isn't a real science
You mean geology\climatology?