Hi Veeky Forums Recently my girlfriend went vegan and has been really craving chicken nuggets...

Hi Veeky Forums Recently my girlfriend went vegan and has been really craving chicken nuggets. Unfortunately we live in a small danish town, where there isn't really any vegan or vegitarian options in the local supermarkets. As such, i'm having a lot of trouble finding a way to obtain a chicken substitute; would any of you happen to have a recipe for chicken substitutes, or perhaps a way to have some meat free chicken nuggets delivered? (even if they're just frozen)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcobalamin
translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.vitaminb12.de/analoga/
youtube.com/watch?v=pSZYhbDuJ_Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Feed her chicken nuggets and tell her its vegetarian substitute.
Stop enabling mental illness you fucking tart

Scandinavians are literally sub human

Texture is really the difficult thing to get right. Beans won't do it. I'm thinking a firm tofu or seitan marinated in a garlic soy sauce and dried well. Also how to get the coating without milk and eggs? Maybe dredge them in a mixture of corn starch/flour, then almond milk, then the corn starch/flour again. Let rest for 30 minutes then deep fry @ 350F.

I'm not a vegan, just like trying to come up with solutions. Another solution would be to stop facilitating a fucking lunatic who went vegan but still craves meat and tell her she pissed her own bed and now she has to sleep in it.

I like the first part of your answer, i'll definitely try it, thank you!

(not going to try the second bit though..)

Din kæreste er retarderet.

Substitutes and delivery are still going to depend on availability in your area.

Does Amazon deliver food products to your town? Any other big retailers? Most of the larger brands that offer pre-made vegan nuggets also offer them through those services, it's just a matter of whether the service delivers to you.

Tofu marinades and dries really well (I bake it for a while as an easy way to give it a nice tough texture before actually using it in a recipe), but firmness alone still isn't quite chicken nugget-worthy. If you can find a ground meat substitute in your store, I would use that and try to make your own. If not, I would mince up something like tofu and combine with something else to try and get closer to that texture. Honestly this has never been something I needed to try, but as a first guess I would combine it with something like bread crumbs or a bit of potato. Then find a fat and maybe some corn starch to hold it together.

just make falafel, scandinavian girls love middle eastern stuff

Tell her to eat more and don't starve herself (I bet she's stupid enough to fall for skinny vegan meme), that's the main cause of cravings.
Also what's the point of going vegan and eating meat substitutes? They're all disappointing af.
And the most important part, if she treats vegan diet like a renunciation then she'd be better off eating meat.
Source: 3 years vegetarian here

>Also what's the point of going vegan and eating meat substitutes?
Some of us just like em, user.
>if she treats vegan diet like a renunciation then she'd be better off eating meat.
That I agree with, really the only way to stay on it is to find a way to address your cravings.

If you are craving the texture of meat you are a carnist and you might as well be eating meat fucking scum

I eat meat but still like veggie burgers sometimes.

Quorn

Just feed her whatever. Make hush puppies or tater tots or something. Vegans don't even remember what meat tastes like.

I am greek you sub-human

stop being a faggots and get some nuggers.

>chicken substitute

kys

you need to stop trying to find a substitute for chicken and start finding a substitute girlfriend

>kys
???

>moral temptation is the same as moral wrong
lol thought crime

>Kill your self

>your self
You're a fucking retard

it's "yore" you fucking idiots

Tell her that depriving herself of meat entirely is retarded and that eating it once in a while is still fine. Kind of like weight lifters and cheat days. Most people are vegans out of protest for animal welfare, right? No reason not to eat meat still unless you're a diehard hippie retard.

Y'all 're fuckin' dumb as shit.

OP here, she gets enough meat from Jamal and his mates if you know what I mean.

>Stop enabling mental illness you fucking tart
I really have to agree. If she misses chicken, she should eat chicken or just figure out that it is plain stupid to keep making copies of meat with meat substitutes. Grow up. She could instead make soy burgers on her own, smash in some beans, carrots for yellow color or whatever vegan lifestyle she has set out upon, and oh, pour some healthy hot sauce on there to buffalo them.

tell her to eat fucking meat. it's fucking delicious.

Don't try to represent OP's on Veeky Forums like a /b/tard you fagfuck.

>cuck memes in 2017
/pol/ should have been nuked years ago. This is ridiculous.

I don't think having a moral system makes you a die hard hippie.

www.veganessentials.com

I love their store and you can often get 10% discounts. (It's expensive but imo worth it.) Try the Gardein chick'n.

I'd also get some Sjaak's melk chocolates (especially the orange caramel flavor). Maybe some cashew cheeze (although you can make that at home yourself). So much yummy food.

Falafels would provide the same eating experience as chicken nuggets. Small, fried nuggets that you can dip in a sauce and eat with your hands. Though, ultimately they're not gonna be the same flavour-wise. It might be a decent substitute, but you never know till you try.

user, she craves it because her body needs some of its vitamins, like B12 is is not found in vegan diets and which WILL cause permanent brain damage once her levels have disappeared. Don't anable it. It's not healthy, just a silly trend for pubertal teens.

Stop writing bullshit, fucktard.

ooh good option falafel is vaguely nugget-like if i was your girlfriend i'd take that

>reeeee don't remind me that I'm sticking my dick in a soon to be even more retarded cum bucket

>having a brain
>mental illness

One serving of the soy milk I buy has 50% B12, and the kombucha I drink once per week has 9400% B12. I recently had a blood test and my B12 level was within normal limits.
I'm not a vegan, though, because I eat eggs (I mention my blood test because three eggs a day wouldn't get me my full B12 DV). Still, you're talking nonsense.

why not eat some chicken nuggets and then go back to being a vegan?

Only at concerts user.

>what is B12 analoga and why does it more harm than not getting any at all and why do normal blood work only show stats for the analoga and are therefore useless

When you say "normal blood work" would this apply to bloodwork that is specifically supposed to find B12 levels, and if not, what would "non-normal" bloodwork be and under what circumstances would it be taken?

Yes, there are certain tests which can be done but in 99,9 percent of cases you have to specifically ask for that one and pay yourself as otherwise your physician will just take your blood serum instead for example doing the Holo-TC-Test which specifically shows how much actual B12 your body actually is metabolising.

Holo-Transcobalamin:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcobalamin

Additionally: Every vegan significant B12 source is analoga, meaning you will have to buy actual vitamin pills. I would not blindy believe that your soy milk will use the right one. That's nothing you want to take a risk. Once you have a deficite your brain will be permanently damaged.

Yeah, I just called the bloodwork place a few minutes ago and they did a serum test (lady hadn't even heard of a Holotc). Will need to talk to my doc' about that, though I saw something saying that serum tests can still indicate stage 3 deficiency. In the mean time, though, I sent some emails to the soymilk and kombucha companies asking about B12 analogues. The main offenders seem to be things like spirulina, miso, and "sea vegetables", none of which I consume; I believe the soymilk is fortified (I see people recommending going for B12 fortified products on pages talking about B12 analogues), so I'm mostly interested in the Kombucha. Will be interesting to see if I get any email back.
Like I said, I've already sent emails out to probe this and on Monday I'll probably call my doctor about a Holotc.

kill yourself faggot

By the way, do you know of any recent studies on this? The most recent paper I've found was from 2002 about algae. I'd be interested to know if there's anything new going on; I don't understand why a fairly important thing like this wouldn't have continuing research.

I've read some but I'm not sure if I can find them again. As far as I can remember there has been some japanes algea they are currently studying but well, I don't think you want to eat a shitton of seaweed so pills will remain the main source.

But you're right, most vegans don't even know about B12 at all, let alone the analoga. I guess the whole vegan community is at fault for that as well, as most of them are ideologues and don't want to be faced with the fact that you can't go vegan without the evil pharma companies.

But as an ex-vegan it's just a reason more for me to not promote this diet. Most people don't know how to feed themselves on a regular one, so going vegan is dangerous for them, especially if children are involved.

Good luck with those emails, but don't expect too much. The good thing is it's nearly impossible to overdose on B12, so it wont harm you. Better safe than sorry.

The following side is very en detail about the whole topic with linked sources. If you take the time to google translate it from german to english:
translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.vitaminb12.de/analoga/

To be fair, I've rarely heard a vegan talk about nutrition without mentioning supplementing B12 or consuming B12 fortified foods (I wanted to find people talking about analogues on youtube, but instead found a video by that vegan gains guy about what supplements to take [B12 and D, apparently]), but maybe we've had different experiences. I agree that analogues is an important topic, but I'm still not sure to what extent you encounter them in a meaningful way without delving into niche products claiming to have "natural B12" like spirulina. I'll need to look into it more.

I'm yet to be convinced that it's particularly dangerous so long as you are told at somepoint "take B12 supplements", though once again clearly the analog information needs to be more widespread, and it literally might just be a problem of just not enough people having really heard of it or considered it right now. And obviously, yeah, with children the stakes are high and you need to be damn sure that you know what you're doing.
Yeah, thanks. Just to be sure, I don't want to misinterpret, do you think there is danger of B12 analogs in B12 supplements, or are those trustably pure?
Oh, yeah, this is one of the pages I was reading! It autotranslated from german, I guess, so I didn't even notice.

Will probably look into this more later, and maybe see if I can ask some "prominent" vegans to comment on it to see if they even know, but right now I gotta go buy some plant pots and soil before shit closes. Thanks for the info.

>Yeah, thanks. Just to be sure, I don't want to misinterpret, do you think there is danger of B12 analogs in B12 supplements, or are those trustably pure?
I'm pretty sure they are safe as non-analoga are just synthesized (cheaper) and analoga would be more expansive due to their natural source. But sending them a mail to be sure won't hurt. It's like with vanille and vanillin.

Well, good luck with your emails, hope they can help you out and that your levels are still healthy.

ah yes, a feta nigger. Pay your debts you stinky hairy ape

>paying for merkel's multicultifest

i hope the greeks never pay debts. fuck the eu.

Fucking just eat falafel instead, well done ones taste way better than some sad frozen nuggets anyway.

Saying we shouldn't eat animals at all is retarded. Choosing to not eat meat out of animal welfare is different but you still shouldn't deprive yourself of it entirely.

Ok. I asked to my GF about this topic. She's a clinical nutritionist, with a university degree and some postgraduate studies. She works in a hospital and a university.

About the three main diet forms, the most optimal is omnivorous, in a close second place is vegetarian, but vegan is not only unhealthy, but comes with several chronic diseases in the long term. Ergo, even when you can feel and think you're "healthy" now, you are, actually, slowly damaging your own body.

The most optimal and healthy food income is: 50% veggies, 5% good fat, 15% grains and cereals, 15% lacteous or milk related foods and 15% meat and legumes.

Vegetarian diet comes with low iron income, then, you need to compensate that with iron rich vegetables, almost doubling your necessary legumes income, and daily supplies, for your own health.

Vegan diet lacks several essential proteins and amino acids, both mostly animal and vegetal of origin; vitamins, iron, zinc and calcium. All of these are absolutely necessary for your system, and their deficiency are related to bone, muscle and immune system diseases. Then, you're not more "healthy" for being a vegan.

Pills and medical supplies are not a solution, because your body is more inefficient absorbing them, then you are not, in any case, compensating the deficiency in your diet with it. Second, long term use, or abuse of them are been related to liver and renal long term diseases. And, as a plus, they are made of isolated and select animal and vegetal ones, mostly animal, with a 70/30 ratio of animal and vegetable origin.

An, in a side note: There's not any kind of "super food" or "super vegetable/fruit/legume" that can, in any case, replace your daily needs of proteins, vitamins, amino acids and other minerals. Your digestive system, in any case, is capable of absorb and process more efficiently, as a source, supplements or vegetables than meat. There is not any way you can replace meat in a healthy diet and there is not any way you can avoid all the diseases related to it.

deep fried breaded cauliflower is a decent approximation

Depends on what your need is, and the methods of obtaining the meat. For instance, if something is already dead it's a moral neutral to consume it (in a lot of circumstances I'd say it's probably a moral good to consume it). However, some people will argue that you 100% do not need meat to live, and not only that, but that you can get by reasonably without it (that is, you don't have to do anything super challenging). Now forget your opinion about whether or not this claim is true or false, and assume with me for a second that it is true. If it is true, and also assuming that you value animal life, then the logical conclusion is you don't eat any meat, and any instance in which you choose to create (hunting) or support the creation of (shopping) meat would be a fairly clear moral wrong. That's as logical a pathway as it gets.
Now that's if you view it as something that you can reasonably get by without, if you don't view it that way, then the conversation you need to be having isn't about ethics, it's about nutrition.

>my girlfriend went vegan and has been really craving chicken nuggets

She isn't eating enough protein and has a B12 deficiency. Tell her to get over her eating disorder.

Tell your definitely real nutritionist GF to link me some papers.

genetic and ad hominem fallacies don't make a argument. Want some papers and information? Buy some books.

Wasn't really an attempt at an arguement, was it? More a request. A request for some papers. Ask your cool GF to rec' me a book, then.

You can look all by yourself, user, I will don't bother her for you.

You bothered her to get an entire multi-paragraph explanation of the health deficits of a vegan and vegetarian diet but you can't get the cunt to recommend you a book in her fucking field?

How is dairy (((recommended))) for any diet? Is it because the the FDA told her this in school?

I'm sorry, but you're not undertanding the point. I will not bother her FOR YOU. Is more clear now?

Clear, but stupid. I'm just a person on this board. If you bothered her to get that info you first posted, then you probably did it for people on this board, of which I am one. You're just being a bitch, and in the process of being a bitch you're depriving the rest of the people here, who, in aggregate, you apparently will bother her for, of useful information that would make your initial shit much, much more useful.

You're mixing things don't related. FDA is a regulator than cover multiples topics, but not studies about health and diet. Even if FDA says something like "Hey, eat corn, is healthy", medical and nutritional studies can disprove, or endorse that claim. Second, personal daily is a different topic. You, as a persona, have a personal metabolism than other person, then, every diet is base in your own personal needs or what you what to achieve.

Seitan, just work on a good breading/batter copy and use the seitan as the base mock chicken. Some asian markets carry canned mock chicken as well but its more expensive.

Image unrelated

Ok, that is so funny, and a nosense. Where I was even close to be "a bitch"? First: you used irony about my "definitely real nutritionist gf", now, you're using insults. Then, I don't care what you are asking

Sorry, it's pretty hard to explain things with a language barrier. Let me try again, but louder:
GET YOUR GF TO LINK SOME PAPERS TO VALIDATE YOUR CURRENTLY USELESS POST THAT WAS APPARENTLY IMPORTANT ENOUGH TO BOTHER HER OVER YOU BITCH

First, is not useless. If you don't share or are against that information, is up to you, not us. Second, what part of "I don't care" is not clear for you?

First, it's useless. There's zero reason that anyone should believe that what you're saying is true if they didn't already know it, unless you think it's a good idea to trust user's real GF over the internet. Second, I'm arguing that your "not caring" doesn't make sense, based on the fact that you cared enough to bother her and then subsequently write up a multi-paragraph post in the first place, but apparently don't care enough to easily validate it in a major way. So you're either stupid or lying, is my point. My money's on the former, I think.

Get a big box of nuggets and eat them in front of her
If she doesn't mind then she is over them
If she eats she was never a vegan in the first place

First, I don't asked if you or anyone believe what she says and I share with you. Is up to you what do you want or not to believe. I cared enough to ask her about it, first, for curiosity and learning, and second, for put some light about the topic of if a vegan diet is healthy or not.

Second, if some random user comes, using ironies and foul lenguage, believe me, I will don't give a single fuck about what he/she ask. I answer your post, because is funny see you trying, in any way or another to look cool and edgy on Veeky Forums. If you want validation or, invalidate what I share here, again, use some arguments about the topic, not about me or my gf. Arguments are constructed around the topic, not the person.

>I will don't give a single fuck about what he/she ask.
I have to give you this, your english makes your posts fairly cute; it's hard to even be mad at you.
Anyway, maybe your intentions were pure, but your post isn't useful; next time ask for papers not an explanation from some random nutritionist that I'm supposed to believe is real. I'm not currently interesting in scavenger hunting shit to validate or invalidate everything you said; it's Friday and I have drinking to do, which is why I'm not interested in arguing with you. I wanted you to do a very low-skill, low-effort job for me and ask someone that should be able to give me papers, who apparently you know, to do it for me, since it should be much easier for them. At least a fuckin' book rec, c'mon.

What is kinda cute is your condescending attitude, user. Go and enjoy your drinking

Wow, I'm cute. Thanks bud, I will.

Now kiss.

video of us
youtube.com/watch?v=pSZYhbDuJ_Y

Make seitan nuggets.

You just spent a whole lot of time to not give him a simple one sentence response

Make seitan out of wheat flour if you cannot buy vital wheat gluten in a store. Preferably buy a high-gluten flour like bread flour.

Make the seitan by making a dough and then kneading and rinsing under cold water for 45 minutes until all the starch washes away and you are left with a stretchy dough. This is pure wheat gluten, and it is what some fake meats are made out of. You can flavor this gluten with salt, seasonings, whatever. Then stretch it and pull it, and shape it into nugget shapes. Then you should boil it in stock (vegetable stock will work) for about an hour. After that you can bread it and fry it, and it will be like chicken nuggets kind of.

I know this is a time consuming recipe, there really are no easy substitutes for flesh. Sorry bb, I hope you gals figure something out!

Maybe you should tell her to not be a fucking faggot

hey OP, hope you're still here despite the off-topic autistic REE
I'd recommend buying dry seitan in bulk online or make them out of blended boiled soy thickened with panko/flour maybe?

>Implying your hand doesn't substitute for sweet vag flesh

Force feed her some mcnuggys you absolute beta

Fuckin' love you

youm*