The highly rumoured new LIGO discovery is apparently being announced today at 12:30pm EST

The highly rumoured new LIGO discovery is apparently being announced today at 12:30pm EST.

What does Veeky Forums think?

Other urls found in this thread:

nature.com/news/did-a-hyper-black-hole-spawn-the-universe-1.13743
phys.org/news/2017-06-hints-extra-dimensions-gravitational.html
spaceplace.nasa.gov/review/lisa-g-waves/
preposterousuniverse.com/blog/2010/04/28/the-universe-is-not-a-black-hole/
blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmicvariance/2010/04/28/the-universe-is-not-a-black-hole/
youtube.com/watch?v=xx4562gesw0
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL04QVxpjcnjjuLDeNFWIlc8fcXSUqqxAG
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL04QVxpjcnjgHO6AOdv68AK3lKqeECgYc
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL04QVxpjcnjhVKkLepArMABB13zIqfXcI
gizmodo.com/a-new-gravitational-wave-detector-makes-its-first-disco-1818842547
scientificamerican.com/article/gravity-waves-cmb-b-mode-polarization/
phys.org/news/2017-09-ligo-virgo-observatories-black-hole.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Colliding Neutron Stars.

WRONG

>colliding black holes
>some trillion lightyears away

Woah. So cool. This is totally going to change my life.

Not to derail this thread in anyway, but if our universe is the event horizon of a hyper dimensional black hole, wouldn't 4d matter making contact with the event horizon create these same gravity waves? Is there any way to differentiate the source of the gravity waves? or even the direction it's coming from? If it's 4d matter entering our universe, then there's a high probability of the source of direction it's coming from is a place with a high concentration of dark mater.

Fuck off with your doomsday predictions.

>Literally just spewing words in an attempt to be smart

You've found your home, brainlet.

Haha this is so funny. This is like when c-grade Sci fi movies make up a last minute explanation for something. You're literally just makin noise

Lol LIGO isn't detecting shit

You mean to tell me minor calculation errors and software glitches are some revolutionary advancement in science?

>b-but muh vibration that's like 1attomter in comparison to the dive if a proton

Lol sorry Sweetheart

This is a computer error

Gravitational waves do not exist (another mistake made by hopeless physicists)

Blatant bait, but I'll bite.
It's easy to just say "software error" without specifying anything else.
They're working on LIGO detectors at other locations, which should allow them to fully verify signals if they show up on two detectors at slightly different times. How would you explain that away user?

Ur dumb

>t. David Dunning/Justin Kruger

read
nature.com/news/did-a-hyper-black-hole-spawn-the-universe-1.13743
phys.org/news/2017-06-hints-extra-dimensions-gravitational.html

This whole thread just quickly devolved to cancerous IQ shaming and bait. WTF /pol/! This is why we can't have nice things!

they already have two detectors

gravity faster than light

>Gravitational waves
Literally fake news

That's just retarded

Insulting a person's intelligence without an argument implies that you're not capable of participating in an argument and petty personal insults are the only thing you have left in your sad pathetic life.

So which do you disagree? string theory? Gravity waves? Hyper dimensional black holes? Or the ability to detect them?

Please do something more than post Rick and Morty image macros FFS

Ayyyliums lmao

Yet another prove that the earth is flat

t. brainlet

>Insulting a person's intelligence without an argument implies that you're not capable of participating in an argument and petty personal insults are the only thing you have left in your sad pathetic life.
no, that means it's not worth your time to convince them they are wrong, as their opinion is so retarded they will just ignore facts or your expertise in a subject

I'll admit there are flaws but that's why I wanted Veeky Forumss opinion.
However, you don't even know why the theory is wrong tho.

You're just posting "hurr durr ur re-turd" and hope that either nobody calls you out or you can slide the thread away from the topic because you don't understand it. Just be quiet and let the adults talk.

colliding BBC's

Lol wtf is supposed to happen when 2 neutron stars hit each other. Theyre like fucking giant perfect billiard balls.
They should just bounce off each other.

Gravitational waves can be characterized by the signal they produce (signal being the one produced from the interferometer detection), a collapsing star and a binary collision have different characteristics and depending on the mass we'll need very different methods to detect them, for instance to measure the g waves from two coalescing supermassive black holes will require something like LISA.
spaceplace.nasa.gov/review/lisa-g-waves/
As for the articles you posted here
Detecting extra dimensions would be extremely difficult. As for the article you posted, it's not '4-d matter' just objects in higher dimensions. The g waves produced from the big bang are stochastic in nature, so they'd appear to be random fluctuations (a specific kind of noise).

Why do people who know nothing about physics come here just to spout their nonsense hypotheses?

You absolute garbage of a person we here don't have prove your shitty hypothesis wrong, you ; The person making the claim has to prove his hypothesis right.
how fucking dumb do you have to be to come here and shit up this board?
Go back to pol or wherever you came from

Thanks for an actual reply. I'll look into the stuff you mentioned.

I can't afford college so I just study this stuff in my spare time for fun. When I have a question or crazy idea Veeky Forums is usually the only place I have to go. It never really caused trouble in the past when I did this but I guess Veeky Forums isn't the same place it use to be. Sorry

Neutronium is liquid though. They will splash all over the place.

Potentially they will create a black hole, if their masses are enough.

Luminiferous aether exists.

Michelson and Morley will get the Nobel posthumously.

preposterousuniverse.com/blog/2010/04/28/the-universe-is-not-a-black-hole/

blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmicvariance/2010/04/28/the-universe-is-not-a-black-hole/

They can't bounce off each other. Neutron stars aren't classical objects, they are purely quantum objects, being governed solely by Pauli Exclusion and Heisenberg principles, and thus actually lose radius as they gain particles. When the latter surpasses the former, the potential event horizon becomes larger than the star. So, stick two together, and you're pretty much guaranteed a black hole.

youtube.com/watch?v=xx4562gesw0

These videos will help, each play list will cover a different aspect of the subject, I used them when first getting into the subject
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL04QVxpjcnjjuLDeNFWIlc8fcXSUqqxAG
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL04QVxpjcnjgHO6AOdv68AK3lKqeECgYc
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL04QVxpjcnjhVKkLepArMABB13zIqfXcI

Yeah man, I don't know what happened, guess the summer fags didn't leave, all things considered Veeky Forums is just gonna keep degrading.

what was the announcement?

this

gizmodo.com/a-new-gravitational-wave-detector-makes-its-first-disco-1818842547

What interested me more is that I once heard they were possibly finding gravity waves dating back from before the CMB barrier, during the initial inflation period, and I'd be really interested in hearing more on that, but alas, closest I have is this:

scientificamerican.com/article/gravity-waves-cmb-b-mode-polarization/

>trillion lightyears away
You're wrong by only three orders of magnitude, bravo!
How proud is your mother of her idiot son?
phys.org/news/2017-09-ligo-virgo-observatories-black-hole.html

This is the most restarted shit ever.

Fucking read it again. "Two black holes colliding".

Protip: there are no black holes

Im going to take a shot in the dark and guess that they detected gravitational waves eminating from very dense massive bodies moving in spacetime.

are you only pretending to be autistic?

isnt the luminefrous aether hypothesis confirmed by 'higgs field'?