How Veeky Forums is your country?

How Veeky Forums is your country?

>Sweden
We're good at plays but that's about it. Our only contribution to philosophy was killing Descartes and telling Foucault to fuck of with his shitty speculation.
Also yes we gave the Nobel P to Dylan, fuck you

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/lit/thread/S9190582#p9190582
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

German Russian so I'm pretty much covered on all fronts.

>poetry fag stabs you
prose faggot should have seen it coming to be honest

>your country
>Ireland
We do okay.

>USA
We just won another Nobel for it so we're definitley the best.

at least you have the quran

Why is russia in particular so lit? Is it the melancholy?

Very strong literary tradition. Produced more in two centuries than others managed in two millenia. The Soviets fucked hard with literary world, but still enforced a certain education/reading cult. Also teh mysterious russian soul of course.

samogon

>Australia
A lot of apologising for the aboriginal's treatment in the past. Otherwise, zip.

Central Mexico

Not bad at all

Cloudstreet is bretty good

>Brazil
>best literature of Latin America

I suppose we are going well.

>Romania

I dislike both the dudes everyone here knows. Other than that some pretty good poetry and drama. A few novels here and there. Shit cinema and aside from a few bands, bad music. Comfortably mediocre I guesd.

Excellent bait my friend. Your whole tradition is a bunch of literally who's.

So far the most notable, and the only memorable, texts I've read are The Secret River, Home and The Slap, all of which I'd typify as below middling. But I'll give your suggestion a spin sometime.

>France
fight me now

Canada.
We have that book about a woman fucking a bear.

You have GOAT filmmaking tho. The Proposition and Picnic at Hanging Rock are 2 of the best films ever made.

And we're proud of it!

gib elsaß back, frog

Beautiful Losers is a very good book user.

yeah, right

Leonard shoulda gotten it over Dylan desu

l m a o neva

>better musician
>very good writer
>Veeky Forums as fuck
>that voice he had after his comeback

Very much so

How is Romania shit cinema? It's one of the few regions of the world with an interesting wave of directors emerging

We've had some decent writers too. Söderberg and Lagerkvist were great. We also had Bergman which is hard to compete with

America

it's Veeky Forums senpai

Just kidding, I'm the only person I know who reads

>Penguin Modern Classics, the first Brazilian to enter that prestigious series
To reiterate: your literature tradition is garbage. If you mention 'Latin American lit' to anyone they would thing 'Marques, Borges, Vargas Llosa, Cortazar, Bolano'. The most impressive claim to relevance you have is Castaneda, who isn't even fully Brazilian and wasn't fully sane. Now fuck off and masturbate to Machado and Andrade somewhere else.

It's borderline amateur shit that you eat up because OMG POST COMMUNISM N SHIET and apart from a few hipsters no one watches. They're badly shot, the sound is terrible and the pacing is all over the place. There's a few good films we have, but they are very likely not the ones you watched. We're pretty good at comedies tho.

newfag here
f.a.m. autocorrects to senpai???
fucking degenerate weebs ruining my joke

>Castaneda
>anywhere close to be a brazilian

lol dude wtf are you talking about

>newfag on an anime forum
>le weebs ruin my funny maymays
Back to famalam.

oh man you can say famalam but i cant??
im gonna go back to r/eddit and cry about this!
im telling everyone that you guys are mean!!!

Good. Now fuck off already.

ok bye bye now!

pssst im not really leaving

>sweden
>post-communism

...sorry?

Nikanor Teratologen.

fight me

Not him but you are a fucking idiot with the reading comprehension of a two year old

>Australia
Yikes. I have honestly never been to a less cultured place on the planet, and never met less cultured people. It is like one of those American suburbs-of-a-suburb turned into an entire country. You guys will flock to these artistic capitals like Paris, Bohemia, or Vienna and the first thing Aussies want to know is what they can bungee off of.

>artistic capitals like Bohemia

>poetry lover can't articulate point, makes for garish display

wow

except the western

>Ecuador
Most of the latin boom writers where influenced by the social realism and indigenism of the first half of the 20th century, some might consider that magical realism was invented here. Nonetheless, with didn´t have any writer in the boom. José Donoso and Carlos Fuentes invented one writer for that movement, which is kind of embarrasing,

On the other hand

Scotland
>Burns
>Hume
>Sir Walter Scott
We're pretty lit desu

zing

>Who is Machado do Assis
> Who is Joao Guiaraes
>Who is Lima Barreto

do you have dual citizenship?

>Milton
>Shakespeare
Do I even need to mention anyone else

Bonus: my family is Irish

probably the one time it actually is a bonus to say that

That's better than our vast majority. These people are pure proletarians who worship a bank robber for some reason and get tattoos of a constellation, unaware of their conformism to a bogan icon, because it is on the flag, and who live and work purely to shoot the shit at the pub on saturday. Don't come here, if these people find out you're from another country they're likely to tell you to go back to where you came from before ritualistically stabbing in the abdomen.
These people are the salt of the Earth, and unfortunately, I'm one of them.

>melville
>faulkner
>pynchon
How can europoors compete?

>Sweden
Soon you'll only read the quran because other literature will be deemed degenerate or offensive to islam.

a hearty laugh escaped my body

Balzac
Sartre
Camus

GTFO!!!!!
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

if you are listing 3 great french writers you could have done much better... I'll give you Balzac but Flaubert, Proust, Baudelaire, Maupassant.. i mean come on user

>I dislike both the dudes everyone here knows.
Cioran and Eliade?

As for the arts, I think poetry is the pinnacle of Romanian culture. Eminescu is the best, I don't give a shit about any of these modern contrarians that say he's overrated. He's the best. As for everything else, the modern music is terrible. The only thing that isn't completely mediocre is rap. I agree that most of the post communist movies are shit, these shit directors only know how to direct movies about communism or post-communism. Most of my favorite movies in Romanian are from the communist era anyways.

>Switzerland
I guess we wrote Heidi...

Sorry if I offended you, mate, Oz just culturally sucks

Yes, you're rigth, my fault man

Sorry user I am drunk

joyce

>sorescu
>arghezi
>eminescu
>stanescu
>cosbuc

In this exact order.

We had a few very good films post 1990
>the hornets' nest
>asphalt tango
>filantropica
>aferim
>dogs

Rap is shit, but maybe that's just me. Negura Bunget is 10/10 though, genuinely. So's whatever band Artanu decides to ruin(Partizan, Timpuri Noi)

Jesus Christ lad, fucking Jung

Bohemia was a historical country which no longer exists.

Chile
Many good poets that sadly not many people here read were born here
Also La Araucana, the only american epic, is ambiented here: the war between the Spaniard conquistadors and the Mapuche people.

>Pessoa
>Saramago
>Camões

Decent enough.

Yeah you're pretty much right. We had a thread yesterday about it. Australian "culture" died decades ago, barely adolescent.

warosu.org/lit/thread/S9190582#p9190582

It's called the Kek Republic and it sports the funniest writer of the 20th century: Jaroslav Hasek

Switzerland.
There are a few "big name" Swiss authors. I read one book, Homo Faber by Max Frisch. It was about this mechanic who goes to the jungle, meets a chick, fucks her, turns out it's his lost daughter, feels guilty.

It's pathetic. Nothing else to speak of.

>prose lover ks a bitch who gets stabbed and doesn't see it coming
WOW

>No Emile Zola on list

>no one mentions Anatole France

>one of those American suburbs-of-a-suburb

Raised in one of these, one that is specifically a gigantic retirement community. Escaped for eight years after high school and now been back for almost two years. As an adult, it's really not that bad except for the lack of things like museums, theater, bookstores, and essentially anywhere to socialize with people my age.

That's not surprising, considering it was a penal colony, mostly. That's not a good basis for a prospering academic and artistic cultural heritage.

Although, I kind of wish there was. An autobiographical account of someone living on a giant prison island filled with poisonous animals would make for some good reading.

argentina's got borges so you're shit out of luck

I have got to read this. Years now, I've heard of this.

Hailing from the culturally stifled white north--Canada. Douglass Coupland summed things up pretty nicely in '06.

"Basically, but not always, CanLit is when the Canadian government pays you money to write about life in small towns and/or the immigration experience. If the book is written in French, urban life is permitted, but only from a nonbourgeois viewpoint."

Nothing's changed.

>We're good at plays but that's about it.

Maybe actually try reading something other than Strindberg before you comment din jävla plebej.

>iceland
preddy good for a country the size of an american suburb
The Sagas and The Eddas are obviously our greatest contribution but we also have some more modern authors like Halldór Laxness (nobel prize winner), Þórbergur Þórðarson and Guðbergur Bergsson and poets like Jónas Hallgrímsson, Einar Benediktsson and Davíð Stefánsson

>U.S. produces these three in less than three hundred years vs. europoors taking LITERALLY THOUSANDS OF YEARS to produce anything of literary merit.

Seriously BTFO.

Enlighten me oh wise one

He's talking about Romania retard

This isn't /pol/. You might wanna try your babby bait there, mate.

>USA
I am usually very unsatisfied with American literature. I think the problem goes back to language; English is not a very poetic language. I liked Steinbeck's subtle prose in his novellas, Hemingway's in Old Man and the Sea, and some Raymond Carver, and there's a few free verse poets I enjoy, but that's about it. I am not saying there aren't enjoyable American authors, just that there are a very slim amount of works to which I have connected.

nice

>literal nobodies

way to take the bait

Do you still have the same naming conventions as back then? With taking on your father's name as your family name?

>gets baited by my post-ironic counterbait

you dont like Death Of Mr Lazarescu?

No. You can't under German law.

>We're good at plays
STOPP EN HALV MIN GODE MANN

It's like winning the retard olympics either way.

yes the same convention
>With taking on your father's name as your family name?
this is inaccurate, there is no family name
my and my brother's last name is gunnarsson because our father is gunnar, his last name is jónsson because his father was named jón and my mother's last name is þórsdóttir because her father was named þór

HAHA bitch! You can if you were born in the states, but have a german parent. Guess who has a dual-citizenship?
Haha. I don't know where I belong.

>his is inaccurate, there is no family name
You know what I mean.
That's cool. I'd thought about it a couple times, but always managed to forget to look it up. It's surprising, but I'm pleased to know that it hasn't been replaced.

It's not exclusive to USA, it's the same for anyone with one German parent and one foreign. Obviously I was talking about 'normal' naturalisation cases.

Honestly, the whole poisonous animal thing has been blown way out of proportion and is more a trope now than anything else.