Why is Waterloo ranked so low? I know rankings are bullshit but like this is so way off from what I thought it would be...

Why is Waterloo ranked so low? I know rankings are bullshit but like this is so way off from what I thought it would be. I thought it was a very renowned university in Canada and just about on par with the University of Toronto.

What's the deal?

My shitty no name university is in the top 100 and I definitely wouldn't put it above Waterloo.

Other urls found in this thread:

shanghairanking.com/ARWU2017.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sorry forgot the link to the ranking:

shanghairanking.com/ARWU2017.html

>why am i 18 and my self worth is linked to the quality of the money extraction factory i got into because i am 18 and have no sense of self beyond being in school

Judging a university for its overall ranking is dumb. Look at its individual programs.

Waterloo is strong in engineering, CS, and math, but weak in almost anything else.

BTW I was researching it because they host the

Institute for Quantum Computing

which is supposed to be one of the most exciting places for quantum computing.

Well I'm researching it for a possible Ph.D position. Don't even know how likely it is to be honest.

I'm a 1st year masters and looking to do a Ph.D in quantum computing/information. More on the physics side of things but not really an experimentalist.

Is it even possible to get a funded Ph.D position as a foreigner?

>on par with the University of Toronto.
LOL

What so good about the Toronto.

I literally never heard them mentioned in the press for anything.

>What so good about the Toronto.
the math department
the fields institute
the law school
the nursing school
the med school
the psych department
the compsci department
the list goes on...

not the air conditioning though

FUCK TORONTO
>that is all

Lmao get a load of this guy

Michele Mosca has interesting work. He is one of the co-founders of the institute.

The question remains. What did they ever accomplish?

Seems like they just have lots of funding. Which is nice but you cannot claim they are the Cambridge of Canada or anything.

Don't fall for the rankings meme. Look at profs in the department you're interested in. There is really no such thing as a universally good school. Besides, these rankings are a compound of factors which may or may not be important to you.

Even funnier is McGill claiming they are the Harvard of Canada. Now that might've been true 25 years ago but anyone suggesting that nowadays is ludicrous. In many departments profs are 500 years old. The campus is nice and all but that's not reflected in the quality of the people there.

who actually wants to live in Toronto though?

U B C
B
C

t. concordia student

Lel, try harder

Are U of A, or U of C any good?

Waterloo is good for eng, that's it
uoft blows it out of the water
Mac>>>everything else tho

>FUCK TORONTO
Not an argument.

>Lmao get a load of this guy
Not an argument.

>who actually wants to live in Toronto though?
Not an argument.

>The university was the birthplace of insulin and stem cell research, and was the site of the first practical electron microscope, the development of multi-touch technology, the identification of the first black hole Cygnus X-1, and the development of the theory of NP-completeness.

literally wikipedia

I BLEED MAROON

U of C grad, good school if you're studying chemical/petroleum engineering. I can't speak too much toward other programs although I've heard they're not great. U of A is generally a more respected school but U of C has the advantage of close integration with industry so your job prospects are great.

Waterloo is great for STEM, their CS department ranks higher than some Ivy League unis.

But they don't have a med school or law school so their rank gets hurt a bit.