I made a bible translation guide yesterday, and I've taken people's comments on board and made a better version

I made a bible translation guide yesterday, and I've taken people's comments on board and made a better version.

I hope you find it helpful.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young's_Literal_Translation
philvaz.com/apologetics/a116.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Add Young's Literal.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young's_Literal_Translation

I tried to keep it as simple as possible, so bibles like Young's sadly don't fit, even though it's an interesting read.

Replace both NRSV and NRSVCE with NRSV with Apocrypha so it's really ecumenical.

your effort is appreciated.

fukken saved

You still haven't added the Douay-Rheims which is the standard Catholic Bible

^

It's the GOAT. As perfect as a Bible can get.

Better sources branch or nicer language?

Archaic

Nicer language, it's the Catholic equivalent of the KJV, in fact the KJV translators used it as a reference.

The only problem with your chart is that it includes the Orthodox Study Bible under the "better sources" segment. It just uses the NKJV New Testament. There isn't a full Orthodox translation of any merit available in English. Many use the RSV as the Oxford Annotated RSV has an edition with all of the Apocryphal Books the EO Church uses.

I think the OSB deserves to be on there simply for the fact, as you said, that it's the only decent Orthodox Bible in English. It should be on there just for people who are using the chart specifically to look for an Orthodox Bible, it's really the only option.

>which is the standard Catholic Bible

This hasn't been true for decades. It is only used in certain traditional circles today.

Lol, it's not even a translation of the Greek and Hebrew, but a translation of the Latin Vulgate.

Which Bible Should I Get?
>Do you want to read it for prose or education?
Prose
>>King James Version
Education
>>Old Testament: Jewish Study Bible
>>New Testament and Deuterocanonical books: Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha

There you go. Fixed it for you, OP.

The Latin Vulgate is objectively the best Bible with the most beautiful language

>NKJV
I refuse to believe this belongs on a bible recommendation chart. Just leave it at KJV.

>cherrypicking bibles for translated prose

I hope you dont do this user.

It's a modern English translation using the NT Byzantine text-type, with all of the major Critical Text differences footnoted. It isn't just a simplification of the KJV. That is a common misconception due to the name.

This

This (if KJV is listed so should this be)

>This (if KJV is listed so should this be)

Then so should the Geneva Bible.

You're absolutely right, I forgot to add a note about the Apocrypha version. But Catholics will still prefer their canonical order if they're going to get an NRSV so I'll leave that in.

I thought so too, but EO consider the Septuagint of primary importance so I figured if they're looking at the chart they'll consider it a "better source". There's also the Eastern/Greek Orthodox Bible but they've only done the NT so far.

mirin

Where's the Knox, OP?

Why do people hate NIV again? It's the only one I've read.

My parents are Syriac Orthodox Christians, so they have the Eastern Orthodox version, but in Arabic, not in English.
In Arabic, the language is quite easy to understand, but it isn't so easy in English, unfortunately.

It'll make it easy.

KJV or Douay-Rheims. The end.

It's good for casual reading, but not great for study. The translators "fix" quite a few passages to match other parts of the bible (or their theology), even when not supported by the text.

>The RSV, second Catholic edition is the only Bible translation that uses standard (non-feminist) English
Shedevils BTFO

OP have you read the Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) translation? That's the best one IMO. I love it. You should really add it to your chart. Beautiful balance of readability and accuracy. It should have it's own branch right down the middle from the top of your chart.

Replace the KJV with the Douay-Rheims. The KJV is straight up garbage.

>The KJV is straight up garbage.

This. The KVJ bible is "The Beatles" of bible translations.

> Hating the Beatles is cool now

t. retard

>no lattimore

pic related

Could they make a more disturbing cover?

KKV stays for historical/literary relevance

Nobody but you posts it because its garbage.

>implying anyone but a handful of people from Veeky Forums have read it

I've read it. NRSV is probably better overall but Lattimore is a great replacement for the KJV if you're only reading for literary reasons.

How many copies have you sold?

Is this a meme or is it worth reading the bible as a non christian?

If you have to ask you're not ready to read it.

>is it worth reading a book that defines the western civilization
You have to be extremely mentally challenged to ask a question like this, so in your case probably not really worth.

Why did you leave out ESV? That is such a good bible.

Definitely worth it, but stick to the highlights at first. Don't listen to anyone who tells you to read it from cover to cover, nobody needs to read Leviticus first time around.

If you want to start at the new testament, Gospel of Mark is super short and gives a basic run down of Jesus' ministry. Then read the other gospels, Acts, and Romans, and you've got a good foundation. If you want to do the old testament, you can read the narrative books as one big epic (see below) or look at some morality tales like Jonah or poetry in the Pslams.

OT narrative if you're interested:

Genesis
Exodus
Numbers
Joshua
Judges
1 Samuel
2 Samuel
1 Kings
2 Kings
Daniel 1-6
Ezra

The NRSV is really bad. They changed the text in a lot of places to be gender inclusive where it's not even appropriate for the sake of political correctness. They changed the "Hail Mary full of grace" to say "Greetings, favored one" and that's reason enough to toss it.

Use the RSV or RSV2 instead.

Job and Ecclesiastes are the greatest works of the OT and you skipped them

Can you cite some sources on PC changes? Not calling you out unless you are full of shit. Also, your second point, well, pic related

>" 'Highly favoured' (kecharitomene). Perfect passive participle of charitoo and means endowed with grace (charis), enriched with grace as in Ephesians 1:6 . . . The Vulgate gratiae plena [full of grace] "is right, if it means 'full of grace which thou hast received'; wrong, if it means 'full of grace which thou hast to bestow' " (A.T. Robertson, Word Pictures in the New Testament, p. 14)

>"It is permissible, on Greek grammatical and linguistic grounds, to paraphrase kecharitomene as completely, perfectly, enduringly endowed with grace." (Blass and DeBrunner, Greek Grammar of the New Testament).

philvaz.com/apologetics/a116.htm

It seems like a translation thing, which is what the NRSV strives for right?

I mean, i

Thanks

One question:

So the bible wasn't translated into various language for quite a while, and was usually used in Latin. How exactly did average plebs understand what was going on?

>So the bible wasn't translated into various language for quite a while, and was usually used in Latin. How exactly did average plebs understand what was going on?

They didnt until the printing press and translations into the vernacular, at which time the protestant reformation started.

Council of Toulouse, 1229
Canon 14. We prohibit also that the laity should be permitted to have the books of the Old or New Testament; unless anyone from motive of devotion should wish to have the Psalter or the Breviary for divine offices or the hours of the blessed Virgin; but we most strictly forbid their having any translation of these books.