How do I make a curry...

How do I make a curry? Something like a tikka masala that I can make using ingredients available at a grocery store in the upper midwest US. I want to have a decent supply of it that I can dress chicken and rice with to take for work.
Thanks in advance

Other urls found in this thread:

epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chicken-tikka-masala-51171400
youtube.com/watch?v=NshiJSNBWNs
foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/curried-chicken-salad-recipe-2014291
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

fucking bump goddamn dead board

epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chicken-tikka-masala-51171400

Cardomom is somewhat exotic but shouldn't be hard to find. Amazon or Penzey's Spices would happily sell you anything you needed that your local market didn't carry.

>dead board
>needs to bump

Fuck off, faggot. Find your own goddamn recipe if you're going to be an impatient piece of shit.

It's a slow board you don't have to bump every 5 minutes, especially when it's just something you should google. Figure out what kind of curry you want to make first... Indian, Thai, Japanese, etc.

Thanks but yea I've googled it, have some recipes in mind but I'm more interested in hearing from someone who has experience making such a dish and can give some beginners pointers. Focus mostly on the sauce itself please.

indian

youtube.com/watch?v=NshiJSNBWNs

Can't fuck this up.

Also jarred tikka masala sauce tastes pretty good and it's honestly not that much worse than what you make at home

good, now fuck off

suck my nigger dick you fucking faggot

Hope you get colon cancer and drown in your own shit

Add some butter
Add some flour
Add some milk
Add some Masala
Add some salt

I make mine using these dry spices that you can find in most places:

cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, cardamon, cinnamon, clove, star anise, black pepper, white pepper, turmeric

I also use a paste I make by mincing fresh garlic, ginger, and habanero pepper, which can be found in most places.

My favorite kind of curry uses a base of tomatoes and onions, then you add all that shit above and braise your browned meat in it for about an hour. It's good shit, but probably too spicy for most.

You've just got to experiment and find out what works for you.

Tikka masala isn't a curry, user.

>take to work
If you work alone...or dine outdoors.
Most people do NOT want to smell food cooking and then for the whole rest of the day. Fishy fish and curry kind of irritates coworkers and lingers in the air as bad as burned microwave popcorn. Be careful.

Even Indian people with money, have a "curry kitchen", a second kitchen in their homes that vents to the outside where they do their curry cooking. It reeks like body odor with the cumin and other spices.

If you want curry at work, cause you crave it like that, try something that isn't cooked. Curryize your chicken salad, brit style. A little major greys mango chutney and simple curry powder punches of a fresh chicken salad. Add heat or fresh fruit to stretch it, wrap it or spoon it out onto toast. When you're done, it doesn't smell up a room and you had a lovely curry experience.
foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/curried-chicken-salad-recipe-2014291

Alternately, you can make a cold sandwich out of previous cooked tandoori-marinated chicken. Just soak some chicken in yogurt and spices and oven bake or grill. I make my own marinade from lemon, garlic, chilies, garam masala, fresh ginger, but you can do whatever you want to the tenderizing yogurt. Freeze your cooked chicken, and it's ready to use any day down the line, or tuck pieces into nice bread, with some sliced cucumber, any kind of lettuce, and especially good with fresh tomato or roasted peppers from the jar. A dollop of mango chutney or chili paste stirred into some mayo isn't bad either.

>ignorance: the post
I think we can all safely ignore this retard.

That would taste okay but be kind of bland, you'd want some aromatics and something acidic to balance out the fat. Garlic, onion, ginger, and vinegar or tomato would be good.

He's right, most people who don't eat curry or use those spices a lot get turned off by the smell. I walked into an Indian market with someone and loved the smell of all the spices but they thought it was bad and overpowering.

coconut milk alright too?

Yeah you could use that with or instead of regular milk

we are talking about fast food here, and a british fast food of all things. It couldn't be more basic

brown chicken chunks
add 1 can of condensed tomato soup
2 spoons of curry paste
mix it and simmer for 20 minutes
plop 2 scoops of plain yogurt in at the end and mix

I've never even had it from a restaurant better than what I just said

You must live around some sad restaurants then. That's a horrible curry recipe.

it's not. curry paste has all the things you need in it
are you one of those folks that think mexicans make their own tortillas in their homes? indian people don't lay out 20 spices individually

and we are making a stew here, so the freshness of the vegetables is irrelevant.
so you now have a seasoned tomato base and all the spices you could ever need fully incorporated in 30 seconds