Just got 88 in my physics 2 exam where the class average was 4, and highest score 91...

Just got 88 in my physics 2 exam where the class average was 4, and highest score 91. Professors literally send me emails after class answering questions I asked in class.

AMA.

the average was a FOUR?

Also, failing my ODE exam tomorrow. :(

Fucking First order linear equations...

Congratulations? You're smarter than the average engineer.

this, what the fuck

44*

I don't understand how that's even possible, like Jesus Christ. It's a class of ~150, but still. These people are our future scientists and engineers.

the answer is engineers, I don't mean to bash them, but they rarely know anything.

>These people are our future scientists and engineers.
They most likely aren't, they are there to get a credit for a non physics degree plan, most people going into something like physics or engineering will take the ap test and move on, even then they can better over time.

Fuck off poltard

This reminds me of a scary thing that happened in my uni. Some math major was telling me about his foundations class and how the entire class was unable to really do anything the professor asked of them. It was so bad that the professor closed the class room door and told them that "I've never had a class that was this bad, I could get in trouble for saying this but you're all suppose to know a lot of these concepts from previous classes you've taken, perhaps it's some error of mine, I'll go ahead and do some review to try to get us back on track."

I know he wasn't a bad professor, and maybe by chance he got a class of brainlets (the guy I was talking to failed a shit ton of babby calculus classes btw) but it made me worry that maybe our culture went in some direction at some time that will make the sciences much less rigorous than in the past.

i got credit for my ACT score that let me skip a bunch of lower level math courses, but i didn't know shit when i started taking higher level math courses because i went to a small town shit high school. for example, when i took linear algebra, i spent hours on a trivial homework problem because i didn't know matrix multiplication wasn't commutative because i wasn't introduced to matrices in high school, and the professor assumed the students had been introduced to matrices before the class

Tips on lessening my chance of failing?

I wonder how class averages are like in China.

study

Exam at 12 tomorrow. 9 PM right now.

Not happening no matter how hard I try.

>physics 2
>not getting 100%
>only getting an A because it was curved
enjoy that useless degree from some shitcan uni.

rude mean, youre gay

>Not happening no matter how hard I try.
nigga quit school and study things you actually do like on your own.

stop wasting money on uni if you're just going to fail anyways.

damn... if only you had known weeks before hand that you would have an exam so you could study

So how did everyone do in his class? Did everyone pass?

yeah haha you know the kind of people that graduate even if they had to retake or take summer school rofl

It's quite possible that there just so happens to be a couple of smart memorizes in your class while the rest of the class failed. I have heard some stories whereas everyone in a math class was getting 30% meanwhile there were a couple of students who got 90%.

>but it made me worry that maybe our culture went in some direction at some time that will make the sciences much less rigorous than in the past.
its literally because of student loans.

uni requirements are non-existent because they would rather just take your money and pump out an incompetent retard than tell you to fuck off.

they curve everything super hard now just to keep you in the program as long as possible so you get complete morons who should have failed out year 1 in phd classes instead.

Why didn't you get 91 user?

i had a class where the first test average was a 36.5, and i got a 90. the professor tried to recruit me for research so hard

I had a class that was weighted, the professor said I was causing everyone to fail since I was doing so well.

Can anybody tell me why we're supposed to be impressed that some kid got a b on his emag test

What subject?

calculus 3

he's still a freshman. i felt pretty good about myself when i got an A in a weed out course too

i'm not , no calc professor recruits students for research. it was a programming class for chemical engineering majors
inb4 >engineers

I'm actually a junior. Did all my electives first.

Plz no hate.

>programming for chemical engineers
>watered down programming
>professor "tried to recruit (you) for research so hard"

>failing ODEs
Jesus what the fuck. I did literally 0 homework and read news during lectures in my diffeq class and managed to not fail a single test.

yes, a chemical engineering professor who specializes in computations tried to get me to do chemical engineering simulation research for him. do you really think i made up this lame ass story to impress some virgins on Veeky Forums? (you)

wow u r really smart

i'm sorry, a programming class for chemical engineering majors sounded like programming equivalent of survey of calc

what the fuck are you doing that class is either algebra with differentials, factoring, or linear algebra.

Go do problems. git gud.

How?

child prodigy, solving ODEs since child

I feel like if you're not retarded, which doing well enough to test out of shit implies, you should be able to learn/relearn foundation material while taking an advanced class.

I dropped out of high school my sophomore with just algebra 1, 2, and geometry, honors bio, and a shitty English class because I had hard core depression and got into drugs, but when I got my shit together I got mostly perfect scores on the GED and did well enough on the SAT to get into >99% acceptance university and skip all introductory math courses. I went straight into Calc I (limits, differentials, and integrals), and while the first few weeks blew ass because I had to relearn algebra from five years prior and learn pre-calc stuff I was expected to know, I managed and ended with a 98% in the class.

But most of my classmates seem like they can't even think. The problem solving and critical thinking just isn't there.

Nigger, fifteen hours is plenty of time to cram for an ODE exam.

You dumb nigger

I don’t understand how this comment is constructive, or encourages the reader to think more deeply about anything. It appears to me that this comment’s only purpose is to display the cleverness of the author. Unfortunately, despite the collective efforts of the commentariate, we do get infiltration from those who are apparently determined to give the impression that they are incapable of parsing an entire piece of writing and reading it as a whole.
As has been previously noted (regular readers will be aware) we (that’s the “Royal we” — fellow commenters, occasional contributors such as myself and the moderator team) are engaged in an ongoing attempt to keep the quality of comments at its former impeccably high standard. Sadly, this is more of an effort than it should be.
And as a scientist, it is rather tiresome having to try to explain to the occasional numpty who happens across a post basic reading comprehension skills, how to follow an argument when it is constructed long-form and the ability to master data interpretation.
And I’ve just caught up on all the subsequent comments on this page. All the other commenters have managed to make coherent and intelligible contributions that furthered my understanding or gave me something to think about, because they took the trouble to type more than a single sentence. I don’t agree with everything that’s been said in other comments. Quite the opposite in a couple of cases. But at least I understand what was expressed and the intention behind it.

>EE major
>skipped all gen. ed. classes to take more interesting EE classes
>now have to go back and take freshman classes as a junior
>alright class today we're going to go over unit conversions
>suicide.gif

I had a really good grasp of calculus, and do well in math in general, and I have extremely high retention, so just half-assedly listening during lectures and seeing problems worked, in addition to memorizing formulas/procedures and working through an example for each difficult concept prior to taking a test (the grade in the class was the average of five tests) was enough that I could average a C. I definitely didn't do well. It's the worst I've done in a major required course, but ODEs aren't rocket science.

> That happend.

Who recruits someone for research when they aced a calculus exam? That's the stupidest shit I have ever heard.

Learn to read retard.

Oh, ill probably get a C-D lol. I know SOME stuff, I guess.

Did you get a t-shirt?

The instructor in my course gave me a shirt that was obviously made in a batch ~10 years before. It said CAPTAIN PHYSICS and a muscular comic book figure in a blue and red skin tight outfit simultaneously tossing and measure objects and their ballistic trajectories. The instructor was super old and I think he sketched it himself - it wasn't Zazzle or CafePress.

Shit was cash.

>The problem solving and critical thinking just isn't there.
this
above grinding through any particular material, for the whole of humanity, we need to foster brains capable of problem solving and critical thought. The world would be so much better.

Engineers ruin everything. They don't care at all about theory, just simple application, which leads to terrible applications.

t. Senior Mechanical Engineering Student

So all the other boards get summerfags and we get freshmanfags.

and even then, Veeky Forums is better in winter. I bully these people irl every chance I get.

>Engineers ruin everything
Maybe shitty engineers like you ruin everything. Good engineers make this conversation possible.

are you a dreamer by any chance?

stfu

>Good engineers make this conversation possible.
>Godd CS majors

fixed that for ya friendo :^)

so, you are a paco? a chang?
a pajeet?
where do you hail us from?

Do professors actually do this sometimes?