What is the best language to learn from a Veeky Forumserary point of view?

I like reading litterature, and I already can speak and read Russian and English (a big chunk of literature is written in those languages). I want to learn a new language, for reading purposes.
What language with a rich literary tradition would you recommend for me?
I was considering Latin or maybe German, thank you for your help in advance :)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/R8QnsSqK
twitter.com/BorgesJorgeL
cable6.net/
diochan.com/
thelinguafranca.wordpress.com/2008/05/27/why-you-shouldnt-learn-chinese/
pinyin.info/readings/texts/moser.html
japaneseruleof7.com/why-you-shouldnt-learn-japanese/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Although German is quite difficult to master I think it is a beautiful language and has some of the greatest books to offer, which you can only fully appreciate in the original language. This is coming from a German native speaker. Maybe you can try some lessons on Duolingo and see how you can handle it.

They're always the same, dude:
Philosophy: Greek & German
Poetry: Latin & Italian
Prose: French & Russian
End.

THIS QUESTION GETS ASKED EVERY DAY

agreeing with this and would vote for german or french

This tbqh.

English

Add French and Danish to Philosophy, if you are interested in Existentialism.
I recommend reading Kierkegaard.

>poetry
>latin
Wat. There are like 5 worthwhile poets in latin.

Following your logic:
>philosophy
>greek
>Wat. There are like 3 worthwhile philosophers in greek.

Doesn't work like that.

This.

If you want to read poetry the question is not what language you should learn, but what culture, time and country interest you.

But a few lines of theirs are worth more than the millions of cacatae cartae of other languages' poetasters.

>pretentious

Learning Danish just because of Kierkegaard is silly. He has been translated brilliantly in both English and German.

Fair point, these languages aren't that different after all

>poetasters
lost

French is the next logical step. German if you're a philosophy nerd.

I agree, French seems logical, also for philosophy.

I can speak Norwegian aswell so Danish is a piece of cake (I can understand it in 95% of situations). Keeping that in mind I am not so interested in existentialism, and Kierkegaard , but still thank you

thank you for your kind honesty. also ty for advice

You're welcome OP

What are you leaning towards?

I guess any of the Scandinavian languages opens up for both Danish, Norwegian and Swedish.

This is correct, OP.

Caveat: reading the epics in the original Greek is something you should aspire to do if you're invested in poetry. Excluding this from poetry by focusing on Latin and Italian is a bit of an oversight but, generally, this user is correct.

Russian is a very ugly language.

There's lots of great German and French poetry too

>italian
>worth anyone's time
Fuck off Luigi

My native language is Arabic. I'm learning German and finding it really easy, fun and interesting.
I've been interested in German since I was 15, so I was pretty motivated to learn it; maybe that is why I am finding it easy.

>My native language is Arabic. I'm learning German
are you a rapefugee?

No, I'm from Jordan.
There are no Jordanian refugees. :P

And likewise there's lots of great Latin and Italian philosophy...

That post is a simplification, but a fair one

>learned latin
Fuck that shit pham. I don't like anything except Martial and Cicero. What a waste of time

>learns Latin before trying to read some books
Fucking retarded desu
Also, you have shit taste

I love roman history in general so it seemed like a natural step. But fuck reading Tacitus in latin.

Tacitus is a writer of decay, you have to enjoy tragedy and murky thoughts to like him. Did you check out Lucretius, Virgil, Ovid and Horace? And if you enjoyed Martial I suggest you Catullus

Going to go for German. It will be most of use for me. Also Germans have their own Veeky Forums

Many nations have their own Veeky Forums

pastebin.com/R8QnsSqK

Spanish. It's like Latin but better and you can use it for everyday things like ordering tacos or picking up chicks.

twitter.com/BorgesJorgeL

>you can use it for everyday things
>everyone on the Internet is from clapistan

Does France?

if you are a eurofag you can use it with your Spanish neighbors, if you are in Asia you can talk to Philippines.

i`m spanish and that's not true you murica

cable6.net/

If you're into a seriously deep language with many many meanings in every few letters of 'hardcore' poetry and literature(Also Quran). Then pick Arabic.

Looks a bit dead

The Italian one is more active

diochan.com/

But German is best for every single one of those categories

Don't go to Krautchan please, it's a cesspit

I'm assunowadays most people know English so : (English), French, German and Ancient Greek. It's trully all you need to enjoy a lot of great works. If you want more: Russian, Italian, Spanish, Latin. It really boils down to what you are more interested in.

Personally, I would advise you to learn German and French - can't go wrong.

Esperanto, not even joking.

Chinese, so you can write translations for the biggest, untapped, and artistically starved culture of all time, and introduce over a billion people to the beauty of literature.

>poetry
>not latin, greek, german, japanese and french
Reeee

The problem with German is that everything worthwhile gets translated by people you'll never hope to surpass.

Spanish or French. You can not go worng with those two.
Cervantes, Borges and the poets of the Spanish Golden Age make learning spanish worth your time. And there´s so much more than those i´ve mentioned.

I can speak English and French and want to learn a third language.

Is there much literary point in learning mandarin? I mean I kinda want to get into a new alphabet, kinda torn between that or russian. Mandarin would be useful for the career I want in the future but that's a long way off. I love russian lit and would appreciate reading my favorite books as originally intended.

Or should I just be a pleb and learn spanish.

Fucking idiot, mandarin doesn't use alphabet

I speak American and all my literature is in American, there is no need to learn different languages when some cuck can translate them to American.

Wow sorry it uses ching chong shitstain symbols my bad

No, thelinguafranca.wordpress.com/2008/05/27/why-you-shouldnt-learn-chinese/

Where does Korean fit into this?

Do you just mean a new way of writing or just a new alphabet, because Mandarin doesn't use an alphabet.

ce' anche niuchan.org

pinyin.info/readings/texts/moser.html
japaneseruleof7.com/why-you-shouldnt-learn-japanese/

don't learn chink languages - it isn't worth it

or pay some chink already fluent in both languages $2 an hour to do it for you, or wait 5 years for your smartphone to do it for you with 99.9% accuracy

Esperanto

nowhere you kpop loving scum

for the most part, i'd say this is right.

also, advice for OP: i find that going reverse chronological is very helpful. that is, learn the earlier language and use resources in that language to learn an older language.

Portuguese and Mandarin