What does Veeky Forums think about H.P Lovecraft?

What does Veeky Forums think about H.P Lovecraft?

I'm pretty sure he's related to Zuckerberg

makes me wonder if a truly disturbed mind a required to be good horror author

Based and redpilled. Love him.

A man who died to young and had not the success in life that he deserved

He's pretty okay.

I like his writing style, and he has some great pieces (The Colour From Outer Space is my favourite), but the best criticism of him is that after a while his stories become very similar.

Wealthy, educated young man from New England encounters cosmic horror that is so utterly indescribable that he literally can't describe it (but will anyway) which leaves him on the brink of insanity.

He's awesome.

Yeah, it's so sad that he died before being recognized for the genius he is. Now he's considered a legend to some people, but he didn't live long enough to see his short stories become so popular and create an entire genre in his name.

I agree that his writing style can be formulaic at times but it becomes familiar and a needed nice cozy point of reference when shit starts goin haywire

I always keep Google at hand when I'm reading anything by H.P. Lovecraft; he uses very complex vocabulary.
I like that about him, though; I read The Call of Cthulhu when I was 13 and it taught me a lot of vocabulary that my classmates didn't know.
But man was reading it for the first time a pain; I had to look up so many words.

Probably one of the few literary horror authors to actually make me feel fear, gave me some extremely vivid dreams
Still amazes me he has a black cat in one of his stories called Niggerman
Makes me feel better he regretted his racism later in life, kinda felt weird really liking the work of someone who probably would dislike you because of my skintone

he got a lot of shit for writing like that desu

I hate the word lovecraftian. Makes me rage every time.

>Lynchian
>Kafkaesque

great meme words

shit i didnt mean to name myself 'op' here

highschool, but when I learned he was racist it made me uncomfortable, yet his work was too good for that to get in the way. Reading about his life made me feel better about him finally getting some pussy and then changing his mind on you nignogs.

He's great. He gets a lot of flak for his prose (not undeservedly desu) but he makes up for it by being miles ahead other horror writers when it comes to creativity.

Lovecraft is to Veeky Forums as Brutal Doom is to /vr/ as Undertale is to /v/ as fast food is to Veeky Forums as Pitchfork is to /mu/ as chokers are to Veeky Forums as Mandela effect is to /x/ etc.

These things are all shit or atleast overrated, their respective boards mostly dislike the thing and kids looking for (OP)s and (You)s start these low effort "How does X feel about Y" threads.
Kill yourself.

The Mountains of Madness is pretty alright

nah he's good you just have shit taste

This.

Nope, you're just a tard, sorry user. Go back to /v/ and stay there, no one wants you here.

this

usually a sign of extremely low intellect and a need to brand everything with familiar terms (ironically enough though since the style is known as cosmic horror, but what would idiots know)

I personally love it, although I've seen many times people on this board shitting on him

I started reading him at thirteen and think at this point I can safely say I've read everything by Lovecraft readily available in print, including hack revision work like "The Loved Dead."

My taste in Lovecraft has gone through a variety of phases. I used to love the Silver Key trilogy, but when I read it again I feel it's Lovecraft trying to be someone he's not, even when the writing is so close to autobiographical. His work can be divided into three categories "fake trash," (which included the Dreamquest) were he tried being a pulp writer, "early trash," were he simply doesn't take his work seriously enough to be a good writer and finally the masterpieces he made from late 1928 onwards.

Also read Joshi's biography, but completely disregard Houellebecq.

The Shadow over Innsmouth is a spectacular metaphor for fear of miscegenation and ethnic invasion, it reminded me of when I visited Melbourne

you have bad taste if you didn't like the dream quest desu, try it again with an open mind

Based writer of spooky stories. Could get very samey like others have said but it's impressive how he's able to not only come up with crazy shit, but actually make it scary rather than just a list of retarded names full of apostrophes.

>racism
He was hardly a racist at all if you actually read his letters and essays. Like everyone who ever lived not counting the past 30 odd years he thought that people from different places were different but he didn't hold it against other people. He thought that Africans had African bodies, African brains and African ways and they were all best suited for living in Africa in a traditional African society. If his 'racism' really makes you uncomfortable I'd recommend looking up his writings on the subject. There's nothing shocking there. He was never even close to calling for gas chambers and death squads.

kek

Junk for half-intellectuals.

Go back to /v/

>He was never even close to calling for gas chambers and death squads.

"The only thing that makes life endurable where blacks abound is the Jim Crow principle, & I wish they’d apply it in N.Y. both to niggers & to the more Asiatic type of puffy, rat-faced Jew. Either stow 'em out of sight or kill 'em off – anything so that a white man may walk along the streets without shuddering nausea."

"so that wherever the Wandering Jew wanders, he will have to content himself with his own society till he disappears or is killed off in some sudden outburst of mad physical loathing on our part. I’ve easily felt able to slaughter a score or two when jammed in a N.Y. subway train."

" a bastard mess of stewing mongrel flesh without intellect, repellent to the eye, nose, and imagination would to heaven a kindly gust of cyanogen could asphyxiate the whole gigantic abortion, end the misery, and clean out the place."

Also funny how he was married to a Jewish woman by the way. /Pol/ would be jealous.

>hardly a racist
>"On the creation of Niggers" is one of his poems

to his credit, it is quite good

>He was hardly a racist at all if you actually read his letters and essays.

He quite literally was the typical /pol/ sperg. He lived in his mom and aunts basement for his entire life, never traveled, never had solid friendship, did not have for most of his life a gf, and when he got one he entered in one of the shallowest, prudest marriages imaginable.

Of course he was talented, but apart from that he was a complete idiot.

i feel like lovecraft's more interesting as a pop culture icon than an author

You aren't wrong, but have you considered that some people realize the genre is cosmic horror, but are trying to elucidate a point to a broader audience that may not be familiar with that term? I dumb down my vocabulary all the time to avoid alienating people.