If information is never destroyed, is possible to analyze the entire history of the universe with hypothetical...

If information is never destroyed, is possible to analyze the entire history of the universe with hypothetical, massive amount of computing power?

Other urls found in this thread:

killdisk.com/dod.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's impossible. Working backwards perfectly would require having perfect information about every detail of the universe, but you can't even know a single particles location and speed at the same time.

>information is never destroyed
lolwut

You can just delete files, you know

If you delete a file you can still bring it back out of the trash can. If you clear your trash can you can use a data recovery program. If you format your hard drive you can use magnetic imaging to reconstruct the data. If you format your computer and run a magnet over it, I've heard rumors that the government has some methods they can use to recover files even in extreme situations that they use for espionage. Right now that's about the limit of human technology, but hypothetically you could reconstruct the data even if you burned the hard drive or threw it into a black hole. All you can do is make the information harder to recover. It is never lost, in a physics sense

killdisk.com/dod.htm

Literally putting your laptop into a fire and incinerating it destroys all the information you dumbass.

yes maybe some singularity/alien civ can reverse engineer the fire and resulting ashes back into the laptop but thats a huge stretch.

That's still not information destruction. There's always a trace.
Not even black holes can destroy information.

That's not true though.
The definition of information ends up being the topic of debate, and it will never pan out because it is far too broad.

If I write down a number on a piece of paper, and burn the paper, allowing the gasses to dissipate, the information is gone. It cannot be recovered from the ashes, or the gas now intermingled with all the other gas on earth

Yes but you would also need a hypothetical, massive amount of data. All the data actually.
Google "divine calculator"

>information is never destroyed
Then why don't we get Diogenes' writings back?

That's just a meme. I know how fast my car is going and where it's at.

Isn't a fundamental part of thermodynamics, that you can't undo certain changes no matter what? Like unbaking a cake to get eggs etc?

I'm not saying that it's possible right now with human technology or that it will ever even be feasible, I'm just pointing out that, technically, information is never actually destroyed. It's hypothetically, although not PRACTICALLY, possible to recover any data that ever exists in the universe. The difficulty in recovering the data can reach the point where it would require more computing power than all of the atoms in the universe made into a perfect machine could provide, though.

psychohistory - the foundation novels

when people say information is never destroyed, they don't mean READABLE information

He means at the level of quantum of physics.

No because the very act of measuring changes the information.

Anything you do is registred on the book of life.

You'll never delete this.

AND anything you do is saved on the past dimentions of time and could acessed eveything by an quintessential being (God).

quantum processes say no.

yes but it will never happen in our lifetime or in foreseeable future, so why bother caring?

>hypothetical, massive amount of computing power
try a computer larger than our universe

That's what God does as the Electron.

The blackhole statement is a paradox as in our current understanding of physics information is forever, it is unknown if blackholes destroy or store information.

Gee, you are a rocket scientist! DID YOU KNOW THAT??? A fucking rocket scientist!

Now go out and play in the street.

It seems like if you COMPLETLY replicate state of what happens in a part of time, EVERY ATOM AND EVERYTHING, then yeah, you would be able to recover literally anything. But you see, you would need to have database of everything in entire universe

What in the Gods name are people talking about this thread?

>shitposter: I have a theorem: information cannot be destroyed
>scientist: prove it
>shitposter: see i have number on this paper. now i incinerate this paper. now theoretically alien could extract the information from these gas atoms.
>scientist: show me
>shitposter: well I cant do it
>scientist: have you heard of indeterminancy, complementarity, and relativity?
>shitposter: yeah but *technically* you can restore the information
>scientist: there is no observer in the universe who could observe the incinerated information. Is that what you mean by the word 'technical'?

>write paper about moving car
>Nobel prize
>...
>$$$

I'll explain the difficult words for you brainlets:

>Complementarity: physics has variables that cannot be accurately measured simultaneously. For example position and momentum are complements. The uncertainty in position times the uncertainty in momentum must always be larger than a certain constant.

>Relativity: nothing can more faster than light. If information is far enough away from you, you may never recover it. As space is expanding faster than light, more and more information about the universe is being destroyed in your perspective.

>Indeterminancy: physics is fundamentally indeterminant, meaning even if given all the information of a system (you can't do this actually because of complementarity and relativity but let's suppose a world you imagine), you can't predict perfectly its future.

>Found the electronist

Is there somewhere I can read about an electron god?