What's some good Arabic literature?

Does anyone know of any good Arabic literature?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3JNW5YUGx6A
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The Romance of Antar.

Pre-islamic Arabic literature was very deep, complex and intelligent.

"Persian Poets" is pretty good

Season of Migration to the North

The only good "arabic" literature is what they stole from Persia, and even then they fucked up when they shoved "allahu akbar" into every other line so the entire thing is jarring and cultist.

This. Islam can be summed up with:
>conquer infidels, convert to slaves
>behead women and children
>behead anyone who slightly insults you
>fall to the ground praising god every ten seconds

It's a shitty religion.

one thing i hate about right wingers over lefties is that they shove their shitty ideology fucking everywhere, even if they have to make up stuff. you fucking idiots have no idea about arab literature. pre islamic it was poetry and short stories. islamic times it got serious and much more heavy. arabs actually started writing on philosophy and non-fiction. nationalist times (1850-2000) were hands down GOAT.

start with Naguib Mahfouz

You literally stole Thousand and One nights from the persians and butchered it by shoving islamic prayers in every third line.

>huurrr i'll call him a right winger, that will prove him wrong

Go fuck a goat, Muhammad.

im not an arab fucking inbred retarded cunt. typical trumptard reads something on wikipedia and generalizes it everything. what a pathetic excuse for a human being. please, go to wikipedia again and read the entry on 'arabic literature'. please read it from start to finish, and take a deep breath before starting each paragraph.

then tell me, without intentionally misquoting one line from it, if arabic literature is ALL copy pasted from persians, or if somehow religion deteriorated it.

> Calls me a right-winger
I'm an atheist liberal Arab, you idiot.

I never said that they wrote huge novels before Islam, but if you compare Arabic poetry before Islam to their poetry after Islam, you'll find that after Islam it became awful.
The only time there were good poets after Islam was during the first half of the Abassi age, when Arabs had freedom and were not completely governed by religion as we are now.

The Quran is hands down the best work written in Arabic.

mein kampf translated to the arabic language

Are there any surviving Muslim songs? I read that the troubadours were heavily influence by Moorish lute-poets.

twilight

>I'm an atheist liberal Arab

come back to me when you grow up and get over your religion issues. your (justified) hatred to organized religion gets the better of you and makes you act and judge like an absolute moron. you drool over pre islamic arab literature (?!!?!?!) while saying arab literature during the islamic golden age is shit!? what fucking country are you from and what kind of education do they give you there? or are you one of those cucks who fled to the west? whatever you are, PLEASE read the wikipedia entry on 'arabic literature' please i beg you. im a fucking israeli and even i know that arabic literature during the islamic golden age is magnitudes better than pre islamic times.

What would one call an Arab uncle Tom?

>Islamic golden age
nice meme

Thank you for GOOD post, user.

>on the internet no one knows you're a dog dot jay peg

Ibn al-Nadim compiled a pretty good catalog of Arabic books to read, if you're into medieval stuff. It's a good starter if you're thinking of going into Arabic literature seriously. The good thing about Arabic is that most of the garbage lit ended up as hakawati and since they have an oral tradition, much of the useless entertainment stories were lost. Most of what was saved were substantive works (philosophy, literature, medical texts, etc.)

For non-fiction try Al-Ghazali and Averroes.
The Qur'an and Sunnah also good non-fiction.

For fiction, try Ibn al-Nafis or al-Farabi.

dis nigga right here
youtube.com/watch?v=3JNW5YUGx6A

Golden age was a meme, nothing much outside of the Arabian nights. Quran is about as shit as the bible

Jesus christ, Calm down dude.

Oh, so you mean Saddam's book on the Baathist party?

Yeah, Men and the City is an interesting read...

>"im not an arab fucking inbred retarded cunt"
>Explosive temper towards strangers on the internet

I'm just going to ask here: looking to buy 1001 Nights

>which translation
>which publisher

etc. etc.

>Arabic literature thread on Veeky Forums
>one contextless recommendation
>then 12 people shit themselves

Gulistan and The Conference of the Birds are masterpieces that I think deserve more attention.

Veeky Forums is full of infidel homosexuals.

Ḥayy ibn Yaqẓān by Ibn Tufail

Islam doesn't prohibit homosexuality, just homosexual sex. Islam is very accepting of gays. The Prophet himself defended a gay man from being stoned to death.

x = 27(4x+36y)/2pi

I dont think you guys are retards for being ignorant since you're a product of your american upbringings where they didn't teach u about the middle east in history class except to mention how they're all terrorists that yell allahu akhbar

But Islamic writings taught the rest of the world algebra and alchemy. We get both of those words from the Arabic language, and alchemy lead to chemistry. In fact a Muslim guy whose name I forget was one of the first to create and propose a scientific method process

So wwhat I'm trying to say is maybe that other guy is right about the poetry thing, but Islam didn't make Arabs retarded at everything and degrade their society

How can you be a homosexual without acting homosexually?

>Algebra and alchemyas the basis of chemistry
Greeks developed what is now known as algebra first, the Greeks studied Chemistry.
>In fact a Muslim guy whose name I forget was one of the first to create and propose a scientific method process
One of the first 2000 years after the earliest instance scientific method? You're joking.

I'm not saying Mohammedans haven't contributed to various fields of study, but you're using poor examples. It's also perfectly understandable that people associate Mohamedism with terrorism, as Mohammedans are far, far more likely to commit acts of terrorism and mass murder globally.

The Necromonicon by the Mad Arab Abdul ?

What most people fail to realize is the Middle East is in a Dark Age. It's like Italy after the fall of Rome, barbarians up the gazoo.

medieval Islam made great inroads in science, philosophy, art, architecture, mathematics, astronomy, and many other fields. it was Islam that translated, read, and commented on Greek philosophy, eventually transferring that along with other knowledge to the West.

Islam wasn't always dysfunctional and violent, but in the modern era a significant portion of it is. Western Christendom went through a similar phase during the 30 years war.

The same way many people have desires but don't always act on them. Catholic priests and nuns go their entire lives without having sex. Gays might have sex but as long as they repent and try to abstain, they're just as forgiven/condemned as anyone else with differing sins.

>eventually transferring that along with other knowledge to the West.
Don't act like the west wasn't doing the exact same thing in translating and studying, making greater inroads.

So you can be forgiven for the crime even tough it is punishable by death under Islamic law? Does the same work for murder?

yes, the West carried the torch further, but they owe a lot to Islamic influence via Crusades and Al Andalus.

The Islamic world just as much during the Crusades. Even more after they stole the Christian land. Too bad they didn't do anything with what we imparted to them and what they stole.

there was exchange in both directions, although to my understanding more flowed from Islam to the West than vice-versa.

the Islamic Golden Age ended with the Mongol invasions and the Reconquista. they never completely recovered, and shifted towards religious conservatism. there were still the Ottomans and the Mughals, but the decline had begun. eventually they were completely eclipsed by a colonial/industrial West.

I'm not going to get into the details of this, or the rise of radical Islam, since this isn't /hist/. the tl;dr is that Islam was once a great center of civilization, slowly declined, and now it's going through a barbaric phase.

I'm pretty sure the west had more, with access to all the former Greek empires.

the Greeks conquered east, not west.

when the western half of Rome fell, much was forgotten. Europe became a simple agrarian society, and from there, experimented and absorbed influences until they built a new Medieval civilization. there was a direct break between this and classical antiquity. Islam is credited with gaining Greco-Roman knowledge and transmitting it to the Medieval West.

Except most of the east and North Africa was still Christian with exchange of information through pilgrimage.
Your "let dark ages" meme is tired and debunked.

I'm not ignoring the Byzantines, they were also significant.

North Africa? there was a Vandal kingdom there, but not for long. Rome collapsed during the 300s - 500s. Islam burst onto history in the 600s. shortly after antiquity ended, Islam rapidly conquered everything from Spain to India. during this same time, Europe was in its dark age, which ended around 800 with the Carolingian Renaissance.

Islam was a primary conduit of intellectual and cultural heritage to the medieval West. its central (but not exclusive) role in this is clear if you consider the historical situation.

Calm down Ahmed, no need to blow over something on the internet

Are you mad