Give up

Nobody has ever worked a 9-5 job and made it as an artist. If you're trying this, give up your job or give up your dream.

Other urls found in this thread:

huffingtonpost.com/paul-anthony-jones/famous-author-day-jobs_b_5724482.html
bustle.com/articles/101251-the-jobs-13-famous-writers-had-before-they-became-best-selling-authors
slate.com/blogs/outward/2017/03/03/when_we_rise_review_it_s_a_mess_but_maybe_the_mess_we_need.html
theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2012/nov/26/writers-other-careers
businessinsider.com/first-jobs-of-famous-writers-2012-10#after-his-father-was-arrested-charles-dickens-was-sent-to-work-in-a-shoe-polish-factory-14
mentalfloss.com/article/31026/early-jobs-24-famous-writers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

hey but what about Kafka.

Barely counts. Died without any recognition and didn't finish dick

well you're forgetting about every professor who has published fiction ever. But we won't count that because we'll assume you will be stubborn and rigid.

huffingtonpost.com/paul-anthony-jones/famous-author-day-jobs_b_5724482.html

pleb list but still counts: bustle.com/articles/101251-the-jobs-13-famous-writers-had-before-they-became-best-selling-authors

patrician list: slate.com/blogs/outward/2017/03/03/when_we_rise_review_it_s_a_mess_but_maybe_the_mess_we_need.html

pretty good writers list: theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2012/nov/26/writers-other-careers

mixed bag, some repeats: businessinsider.com/first-jobs-of-famous-writers-2012-10#after-his-father-was-arrested-charles-dickens-was-sent-to-work-in-a-shoe-polish-factory-14

repeats: mentalfloss.com/article/31026/early-jobs-24-famous-writers

hey man. everybody needs some of schedule

*kind

sobriety is a scam but great writers can mostly manage under such (4:95) inhuman sanctions

Jesus that's terrible. But yeah I feel like I would like to try, were I not living my 'daily life' and actually had money. How did he got money for all that?

Writing stuff

>the job allows for me to listen to audiobooks 8 hours a day

It's almost like I'm getting paid to read.

wow, what a load of bullshit

What are you a babysitter or in IT

I read on Wikipedia that Wallace Stevens debunks your argument.

What about a 4-5 job?

Degenerate bullshit and he was a hack

i'll take sheltered white guy opinions for twenty bucks

george saunders

poems take like 5 mins. to write, hence:

spinning spinning on the piano bench,
"i do not have many commitments,"
you say, or don't, and blithely wrench
from the dusty boards sweet music intense
knowing, somehow (i know not), how a piano works

This could work

if not, how do you keep yourself alive?

I read on Wikipedia that Wallace Stevens was mediocre at best

Probably the most embarrassing post i've ever read on Veeky Forums

wallace stevens wrote that you imbecile

I am so happy about this exchange

Yeah, i'm obviously not talking about the poem part, you fucking idiot.

Some poetry is good, some poetry sucks. All suck poetry is written by conservatives with 9-5 jobs at insurance companies. Wallace Stevens? Sucky.

How do you live without a job? Any concrete solutions, besides memes?

Yeah man, it's like there's not 7+ hours you can do whatever the fuck you want.
And i'm not for the 9-5, but saying you cant do shit having a normal job is the sort of retarded dogma that for some meme reason flies here.

It makes me Sad is all. I come home and can barely read I'm so tired. All I have the energy for is shitposting and going to sleep.

prisons have liberies maybe if I go to prison I can just read and write all day, no distractions.

I said besides memes

Gardens. Drinking from the Hudson

I feel you, it's not easy. But if gass-kun can churn out 8 literal tomes, you can write one book.
Not that i know what your job entails.

I love the idea of prison being a place of no distractions.

Prison is at least forthcoming about its nature.

Heaps of writers from the 20th century worked regular jobs

Maybe not 9-5, but at least 3 to 4 times a week

Same. Gramsci wrote his magnum (and almost unique) opus in prison. I wouldn't bear not seeing places and nature, though

I guess. And in scandinavian countries it's literally exactly what you were suggesting with your meme post.

3 or 4 times a week for 8-9 hours?

Not much of a deterrent. Unfortunately I'd be sent to rikers island

bump

more like a night watch.

>if I just had more time I could be a good writer

>audiobook
>read

pls staph

Back in the day, authors who made it through patronage still had full time jobs. Usually tutoring, bookkeeping, administration, etc...

you're a moron

I fraid of ghosts

>globalisation
>9-5 job

HAHAHAHA

It's either 8-6 or a zero-hour contract position. The latter is fine for artistry. Just make sure your parents are middle-class.

>zero-hour contract position
what are you talking about?

Whys this funny? I work literally from 9-5 every day of every week.

>globalization

What?

Great point

kek why are there so many people on Veeky Forums who are nightwatchmen

Easy job to get into. Minimal qualifications. Most people on /here/ are in their early 20s.

Get out

Is it stressful? Do you have to stand on your feet all the time?

As much as you probably hate Bukowski, he did "make it" as a successful author and that wasn't until he had already spent most of his life working at a post office

Plus how am I supposed to have the will to stop shitposting in my spare time!?!?!?

this

Also worked part time

>recognition
kys

>tfw have been NEET for five years and haven't written a single page
>used to write plenty as a student and wagie

If you have unlimited time there is no urgency to do anything. If you are not unsatisfied you don't pursue goals.

Which is not a bad thing by the way, it's the final redpill. When you get into that natural human state like our ancestors who did pretty much fuck all except (easily) aquire the next meal and casually fuck someone near you, this neurotic desire to be productive, to leave a mark, to make something of yourself et cetera drops away.

Gene "The Meme" Wolfe

What about Philip Larkin?

this. occupying your mind day in and day out with anxiety about not busting your ass to do x, or making sure you read all the newspapers to be informed, or watching e! true hollywood story, or preparing your meals for the week so you can be in perfect shape - it's all the same. just ragie-tier shit in another form: self-imposed.

Fuck, I want to refute this but can't

>he doesn't read/write at work

Doing it wrong m8

Glenn Cook
Anthony Trollope
Faulkner
Joseph Heller
TS Eliot
Wallace Stevens
all had steady jobs while writing until their big break. Some just kept working

Now name some legitimate artists with talent

How does one read at work? I work for the government they monitor my computer.

this

Please. Faulkner is god-tier, and Catch-22 has solid reviews on Goodreads.

The struggle towards my dream is enough to satisfy me.

Oh yeah? Was he recognized during his lifetime?

Last night I decided to give up.

Feels so fucking good.

>Catch-22 has solid reviews on Goodreads

Yeah what, are you too good for the popular vote?

Well you just keep writing short stories, publish enough of them, use your portfolio to work in the industry and then writing and your work sort of become the same domain and it's a work that is sympathetic to your literary pursuits.

>died without any recognition

As if you can take "recognition" with you into the nothingness of death

How's middle school

Fine m8y

My point is, whether or not he (Kafka) was recognized during his lifetime has nothing to do with the quality of his writing, and neither does your "recognition." If you think popularity and success define a "great" artist you're the definition of a pseud