What are some good 8'' chef's knives that can be had for $100 Canadian?

What are some good 8'' chef's knives that can be had for $100 Canadian?

Other urls found in this thread:

munemasa.co.jp/SHOP/ii-h017316.html
youtube.com/watch?v=7dFFEBnY0Bo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

G2

Any that has a non-metal handle?

Wüsthof Classic, can't go wrong with that.

Not as good value for money compared to other knives in the same price range though.

20 Kiwis

>cad
*16 Kiwis

Kiwis are one of the best value knives out there, but only if you know how to take care for a knife, and are willing to do it everyday.

If not You'll get half a month of daily use for the same price you'd spend on a decent knife, that will still work better than any one of your kiwis after a month.

>$10
Cai Dao from the dollar store
>$20
literally any chef's knife from Winners
>$30+
waste of beaver bahts but if you want to blow your whole Robert Borden Bill then there's some nice gyutos: Tojiro DP, Fukiwara FKM, MAC, et cetera

If you live in Toronto or Vancover go on craigslist, there's usually an unemployed chef unloading a $400 knife for $100 so he can afford drugs before payday
Terrible

/thread

For stainless; second hand wursties or globals, or something VG10 from rakuten (tojiro comes to mind)
For carbon; find a decent rakuten shop and get something in blue1 or blue super

Alternatively get a CCK or similar slicing cleaver and a whetstone, and teach yourself the way, truth, and the life

>having to go on rakuten to buy good knives
do you live in antarctica?

You have no idea how poor e-commerce options are for anything even slightly niche in Canada.

CKTG ships to Canada breh

>$35 shipping on a $70 knife

No thanks.

sounds like a business opportunity

I should move to canada

t. Target

You can't compete with Amazon because shipping to small cities spread widely across the continent is absurdly expensive.

Even the federal mail service got muscled out.

Some American retailers figured out how to sell to Canada.

Digikey, for example, has a warehouse right near the Canadian border, packs Canada-bound orders in their American warehouse, pre-process them for customs in-house, and uses their own trucks to send it over the border to Fedex Ground processing center on the Canadian side to cut down Canada-wide flat-rate shipping fee to $8.

And of course, the same American warehouse packs the orders for domestic U.S. orders too and sends them out by USPS and Fedex at U.S. domestic rate.

Bought a ~7 inch Kiwi knife for like 9 bucks. It's really thin and easy to sharpen.

Since this is a knife thread, someone recommend me a bread knife for under 100

Sharpen your chef's knife and you don't need a bread knife

Bread knives are for people who don't take care of their stuff

Bullshit, a really hard crust can damage the edge of even the best chef's knives. That said, there is no need to spend big bucks on a bread knife, a saw is basically a saw. Just get one from the affordable lines of some reputable brand, like the Wüsthof SilverPoint bread knife. Oh, and buy it larger than you think you will need, 9-10''.

Damage an RHC 62 blade? Stop being an asshole.

This is why Veeky Forums doesn't attract anyone with skill. You idiots spout your shit and everyone runs.

>my knives can't stand up to a bread crust
>I buy wusthof
Jesus, lol
The jokes write themselves

breadcrusts are hard, they can easily roll a fine edge or they can make a very hard edge chip. Why the fuck do you think a bread knife is in the knife roll of every cook ever? If you retards are really that clueless you should stop posting.

>wow moonrunes much professional

GRORIOUS NIPPON STEER

FORDED OVEL 9000 TIMES

Actually the first generation Tojiro DP used Sandvik steel which is not Japanese

It's only you millennials who have a knee-jerk association with VG-10 because that's what they switched to when it got popular.

If your burr rolls on a bread crust, you're using a chinese steel piece of shit. Stop talking like an asshole.

>if your burr rolls on a bread crust
>your burr

Do you even know what a burr and what an actual edge is? When I called you a retard at first it was just a commonplace insult, but apparently you are actually retarded.

I assume none of you know what a micro burr is, or how to sharpen anything you own, right?

asshole, I've worked in a lutherie for 30 years now. You just sound like a dilettante fuck up. Do you know anything about german tool steel, Sheffield steel? Or how to sharpen anything with oil, water or diamond?

I do know hat a burr is, and I do sharpen all of my knives myself, and I have also thinned out a few on my belt sender.

A bread knife is much better for hard crusts, and fine edges CAN get damaged by hard crusts. Just consider the force you have to apply to force the blade through.

He already said he uses Wusthof, which uses X50CrMoV15 which is basically the German version of Chinese 420

The reason it got popular as a "kitchen knife steel" (which is shouldn't be) is that it can be used to hammer through clusters of frozen hot dogs and shit, with no discernible effect on the knife's integrity

Basically you can throw it in a foodservice environment with a bunch of drunks, junkies, and retards, and it won't break no matter how hard you try

Wusthofs are the kitchen cutlery equivalent of a sippy cup, they should start shipping them with laser engraved teletubbies on the blade

have your little party here, It's 7am. I need to go. Teach people metallurgy..

>Just consider the force you have to apply to force the blade through.
That's what happens when you use a dull knife

It's people like you that slap chops were made for

I have sharpened with all those, most of the several dozen German and Japanese chef knives in my collection,.

"I have worked in a lutherie" do you have any idea how gay that sounds? And what the fuck does it have to do with kitchen knives and bread? Totally different cutting instruments (chisels and planes and whittling tools I guess), totally different materials you need to cut. Do you have any idea how many Shun knives end up chipped to shit WITHOUT having had to cut bread, just from being used incorrectly for normal board work?

最高の包丁言うたら重房やな
munemasa.co.jp/SHOP/ii-h017316.html

>Teach people metallurgy.
Please, don't. Your students my actually believe you cut shit with a burr.

You can use a razor blade and you'd still have to use a lot of force. YOu realize I am talking about bread with an ACTUAL crust here (like in, it crackles when you break the bread), not what retarded Americans call a "crust", aka the slightly denser and browner stuff on the outside of their loaf of wonder bread?

>Do you have any idea how many Shun knives end up chipped to shit WITHOUT having had to cut bread, just from being used incorrectly for normal board work?

Not the luthier but the reason Shun gets a bad rap for chipping is that they were the first knife over 58HRC that ever got sold in the US, people weren't used to a steel that had a different failure mode than Wusthof and they were even less used to an edge configuration that wasn't optimized for being used for opening cans and bashing directly against a metal countertop.

Grousing about shuns chipping indicates a fundamental ignorance about how cutting tools work, which is pretty typical of the average Shun/Wusthof customer. Grousing about YOUR shun chipping reveals you can't be trusted with tools for adults, go back to your sippy cup knives.

You use the tip of the knife to make a tiny pilot cut, and then you slice through easy peasy.

You've never used a sharp knife, it's obvious. You can shriek about lol clappyfats r dum all you want but those of us who know can tell.

nothing if you don't know that world. that's where you fine pre war steel. the best you'll ever touch. i know you don't know that. my mistake

>Grousing about shuns chipping indicates a fundamental ignorance about how cutting tools work, which is pretty typical of the average Shun/Wusthof customer. Grousing about YOUR shun chipping reveals you can't be trusted with tools for adults, go back to your sippy cup knives.
1. I have never owned a Shun, nor do I intend to. And none of my knives has ever chipped.

2. Your post indicates a fundamental ignorance of the basic concept of reading comprehension. In the same sentence you state that knives get damaged by improper use, at the same time you apparently defend the people who advocate using really hard, thin knives for cutting through hard crusts. You need to decide what you are trying to prove or claim here.

Too much salt in the thread. Post knife pics.

Yes, because cutting through the crust of a bread is like cutting through a stainless steel countertop

Try biting through your countertop and see how that works out, buddy

Talk about whatever "luthier" and "pre war steel" shit you like, it has nothing to do with either bread crusts or kitchen knives. And if you seriously think that steel made before the second World War can hold a candle to actual modern high performance steels people will know where to shove your opinion anyway.

You're going to dull out the tip of your knife that way. There's no reason to be using a chef knife on crusty bread when a bread knife does the job better and faster. I literally have a fucking saw meant for cutting wood that i use for stale bagguettes, try cutting through that with a chef knife. The right tool for the right task makes all the difference, and just because you can use tools meant for something else doesn't mean that you should.

im not grousing about shuns or anything, dipshit. if you can't cut through a crust of breat with an rhc 62 blade, you're fucking incompetent. don't pretend with a blade. only time i ever chipped a blade it was an amway hardened to like 65 and i put it on a steel.

A bread crust may actually be worse, a knife doesn't get wedged and twisted in a stainless steel countertop.

Why is it so fucking hard to just get a bread knife? It's what actual cooks use, just watch any youtube video of pros cutting hard crusty shit ever

so not much metallurgy in the senpai then.

WTF are you going on about, it was - I - who was accused of grousing about Shuns. The greentext is the quote from a post directeted at ME.

i love pushing a topic into the generic morass, they always end up exaggerating their knowledge and end up looking like assholes. itnwprks every single time. You people are so insecure you end up making it an industry.

>you'll ruin the tip of your knife
>a bread crust is worse for a knife blade than a steel countertop
Lol

When I was in high school we were required to do X amount of volunteer work in order to graduate, I got assigned to a nursing home

The feeling I get from Veeky Forums knife threads is like the feeling I got from interacting with senile dementia patients

sorry, im not really paying attention to you assholes. my bad. carry on...

Maybe you got infected with Alzheimers or something if you lack basic reading comprehension, or any understanding of how sharp things work

sorry you guys. I use a chefs choice sharpener on 3 dollar blades with a strope rubbed with polishing compound (green). It is a 24 degree edge with a healthy micro serration that cuts tomato skin as well as anything else. I love watching you jokers argue over your tools.

Keep stabbing into bread with a thin knife like a retard and I'll use the appropriate tools and do it faster like a functioning human, hows that sound?

Says the fat fingered phone shitposter

> I have no counterarguments or even any argument at all, actually I haven't really got anything to say but I feel the need to write SOMETHING to assert myself

The post.

yeahim typing on a shitty tablet because i just cant leave you freakshpws behind. you're fucking awesome. no joke

There is no reading comprehension issue here. The issue is that knife discussion, for some reason, attracts people like you with their loud, stupid opinions. No matter how ignorant, it's always the same level of confident, arrogant insistence.

While reading, it requires a small amount of effort to remind myself that the person writing is beyond redemption, like a senile dementia patient. No matter how ridiculous, fallacious, or dangerous the "advice" given, I have to remember not to be rude, or get offended.

yes, do lets talk about martensitic steel in the future over single malt.

Mercer genesis is debateably the best valje for money culinary knives on the market

the funny thing is, knives don't matter. skill matters, sharpness matters. if you don't have those, you're essentially this thread in real life.

It's funny that this thread was fine until some emotional cripple said crust was steel's Waterloo. Why do you people need to sound so stupid every single day?

Sorry to ruin your fantasy, but good steels are not a new invention. What's relatively new is the idea that consumer grade kitchen knives can actually be every bit as good as overpriced custom knives

AEB-L for instance has been around since 1928, it's just that nobody bothered to put it in a kitchen knife until Japanese kitchen knife manufacturers decided it might be a good seller. The swedes were using it for disposable razors and everyone figured the germans should be left alone with their terrible ideas about kitchen cutler

Implying a micro serration is superior to a razor edge on a well maintained blade with a sturdy edge
My knives can generally push cut tomatoes and other fruits/veggies prone to crushing as i hone and strop them before each use
A razor edge slice will be smoother than a microserrated one if its truly sharp

I polish chisels, gouges and luthier knives to a razor edge. Not convex, not concave, a square razor edge at usually a 30 degree bevel. I wouldn't do that with cutlery.

>unemployed chef
>he can afford drugs before payday
w0t?

You realize a razor cuts like it does because of its shallow bevel, right? And you only get a few 'shaves' because of that same reason? Razor sharp is great in a few situations.

I'm not even going to try and get you to think for yourself because I know the effort would be wasted ... Just try cutting an actual bread with an actual hard crust with a chef's knife and you will see how much force you have to apply to get through the crust. Then you will be able to understand how that much force can bend or micro/macro chip a small piece of steel that is just a tiny fraction of a milimeter thick at the very edge.

I do it all the time with bread I've made and bread I've picked up at farmers markets, bakeries, etc.

You use the tip to make a pilot cut (which contrary to your strange beliefs, doesn't break off), and then you slice. It's basically the same thing a serrated knife is doing. The serrated knife is just made of dozens of tips, whereas you really just need one to get it started

I'm not the one who said that the tip would break off. But you see that something like that pilot cut is needed, because otherwise the blade will not cut into the crust,even with real force behind it. It is obvious that all that force pressing and rubbing a delicate apex/edge against an unyielding surface MUST result in damage - either rolling or chipping.

Probably because bread crust isn't 58rhc.

I own a Dexter and a Victorinox. Either one costs a third of your budget and they have both been fantastic tools. Use the leftover money to buy a sharpening steel and a good cutting board.

user, I don't suggest ordering from anywhere in the US (especially not shitsknifetogo). Ordering direct from Japan is your best bet for a J-knife. Shipping is always fast for me and I always get good deals.

You can easily get a Fujiwara FKM/FKH from japanesechefsknife under budget.

I never said I wanted a Japanese knife.

You posted a picture of a Tojiro in your OP user... you want my honest advice from experience? Split or extend your budget and pick up some cheap whetstones. A Tojiro/Vic/Henckels/Fujiwara doesn't matter that much, what matters is if you can get them super sharp and work on them if you have stones.

I post this in every other knife thread nowadays: youtube.com/watch?v=7dFFEBnY0Bo

>good
>under $100
You may not have been thinking of it at the time, but that is what you meant

>You can easily get a Fujiwara FKM/FKH from japanesechefsknife under budget.

I am also a canada and I got my Fujiwara from CKTG shipped under $100, what's your beef?

OP here. This guy is not me.

>1 dollar knife
you may be able to sharpen it but wouldn't it just go dull again in 1 week because it's a shitty 1 dollar knife?

The idea being you would have to get better at sharpening them

How to I sharpen and hone my nippon steel that's been folded over thousand times?

Any sharpening stone recommendation?

If it's that knife, the stone doesn't really matter, just the grits. Aoko/shiroko are pretty forgiving

If you have some ridiculous ATS-34 nonsense, just get diamonds and be done with it.

not gonna repeat every thread why I don't like the vendor
Checkm8 user. Yeah you at least want a baseline of something with okay edge retention, like a Vic which is probably the lowest I'd go. Higher end J-knives undoubtedly have better edge retention and are worth the upgrade IMO. But the $1 video is just an illustration that even budget knives can get sharp.
If this isn't a troll let us know the knife you have and your budget, you have no sharpening experience at all?

>not gonna repeat every thread why I don't like the vendor

Then stop spamming every thread with "I don't like this vendor" you dork.

not that user, and I've done business with them in the past because IDGAF about this kind of thing, but the internet hate boner for CKTG is pretty well known, just google it if you are completely out of touch with the latest kitchen knife sperg memes

I refuse to google sperg memes.

If you've got an issue, explain your issue like a normal person.

Not the user you were replying to, but I also need sharpening recommendations. My knife looks very similar to , it's a ~7 inch carbon steel santoku. As for budget I'd want to start small because I don't like dropping a bunch of money on something before I've gotten a feel for it.

>I don't like dropping a bunch of money on something before I've gotten a feel for it.
You get what you pay for. I've bought and tossed enough cheap shit I could have bought a fair amount of good shit by now

Shapton Glass, buy once cry once

You're in a good position here to start sharpening. The most common advice is to get a King 1k/6k and that wouldn't serve you bad at all but I say get one medium stone (1000-2000) and practice/work exclusively on that until you get a finer stone. You can get big old King Deluxe 1000 or 1200 stones for cheap that would easily outlast a combination stone. There's also cheap Naniwa stones on ebay (search Ebi). A good mix between better performance and still budget friendly would be a Naniwa Traditional stone in 1k.

And don't forget to pick up something cheap for flattening, i.e. 120 grit drywall screen

>I refuse to google sperg memes.

That's fine, there are no silly sperg memes here, just a long list of customer service issues as well as crazy high prices. There is far more to complain about than can easily be written in a Veeky Forums post, hence the suggestion to read it for yourself.

Can I practice on my shitty stainless steel, or do you use different stones for those? Thanks for the advice. I'll probably start at a medium grit.

My biggest issue isn't even the customer service/overpriced items. It's mostly the bad taste I get in my mouth when I hear a guy decides to open a knife store that doesn't know much then goes around asking people for advice/knowledge and ends up using them to profit/undercutting them in the future. Plus his youtube videos are laughable and he's spreading misinformation/bad knowledge. There are vendors out there that actually try to gain as much knowledge and travel to Japan as much as they can even if they are Gaijin.

Shit... I ended up spending time on this in the end.

Ah, that's a whole new problem. I'm experiencing this right now with some old stainless things. They feel like such a bitch to work on compared to my carbons on the stones. 1k isn't enough for an old stainless edge for me. You'll most likely need a coarse stone for your stainless stuff. The absolute cheapest option would be a King 250/1000 combination.

Okay, I'm just a bit worried about screwing the knife up, but I suppose unless I grind it all off it should be salvageable.