This is why Jim Davis has chosen smoking:

This is why Jim Davis has chosen smoking:

It represents a recklessness, a disregard for what some would define as the beauty of life. Garfield may die from the nicotine; he may not. He defies life. He sits defiant, saying nothing but looking as if he could say,
"Then let me die"
"It does not matter"
"It does not matter"

Other urls found in this thread:

garfieldminusgarfield.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The Garfield shitposting has gotten out of hand lately and... I'm starting to believe it.

The cat has your pipe
THE CAT
HAS
YOUR
PIPE

So in the second panel, Jon Arbuckle thinks 'now where could my pipe be?' but he already knows the answer. Could this question be indicative of an existential search for meaning? Rene Magritte's pivotal painting 'Ceci n'est pas une pipe' comes to mind here. Clearly he is not looking for a pipe. The pipe is not what he is searching for. He is searching for something more. Something more than the pipe. More than life itself. The pipe represents everything in life that is the antithesis of evil. And yet, Garfield, symbolic of Satan, has it in his jowls. His look is an expression of moral nihilism, if not nihilism in full. An expression of distaste for the current state of affairs... and the pipe is his link to an absurdist's rendering of reality. We are forced to look inward, inside ourselves, as Jon's futile thought is combated with the pessimistic, hedonistic reality of the third panel.

Truly, Jim Davis was a sadist for this comic strip.

Your mastery of this comic is nothing in the face of the man who wrote the lines you ape. You do not matter. Your interpretation does not matter. You are nothing compared to him.

Notice that instead of a phrase more befitting to the situation, such as "where is my pipe?" he says "where COULD my pipe be?"
He's obviously asking a much more perplexing and demanding question, relating to the nature of objects and their relative positions, likely from a topographical perspective.

In addition, the pipe is topographically an extended torus, seeing as it consists of a continuous curve broken by a single hole from end to end, as opposed to the newspaper, chair, and wall, which are topographically simple planes, curves, or spheres

lol Garfield looks fat as FUCK! lmao...

Oh, man. That last panel where Garfield has the pipe! Jon doesn't know where it is but Garfield has it! Fucking genius.

Lol, I know right? Why would a cat smoke a pipe? But Garfield would!

I smoke a pipe because it's pretty relaxing, desu.

I think he's just imagining the cat hat a pipe. Shows the descent into John's madness.

'Cause cats can't smoke pipes, like I don't think a cat could even hold a pipe in its mouth if it wanted to.

>take garfield out and it's less funny instead of more funny
it must be true

>the smoke boundaries end in the frame of the comics

what did Jim mean by this?

gar field

I like this meme.

I'm a fan of garfield minus garfield but imagine how much better it would be if the pipe was left in. It'd be a Magritte reference in lovely modernist manner.

Is there a Garfield Plus Garfield that adds extra Garfields to every comic

Heathcliff is better and deeper than Garfield by the way. It also started five years earlier so Garfield is the copycat (hahahaahahahaahahahahahaha)

Habitually, Mr. Arbuckle angrily yells out Garfield's name upon the realization that he is missing one of his possessions. Despite calling Garfield's name, Jon's cat has been dead for a long time, highlighting the inherent loneliness of his bachelor lifestyle.

While Garfield's presence brought about much more stress and annoyance, Jon's life was indelibly impacted by his cat. Regardless of his old pet's irksome behavior, Jon still subconsciously reaches out to his deceased feline roommate in an half-hearted attempt to latch on to a familiar form of companionship to which he was once accustomed in order to drag himself out of his lonely reality if only for a second.

In the unfeatured fourth panel we see Jon sighing heavily, having noticed that the pipe was right beside him all along, pulling him back once more into his world of solitude.

So Garfield is the new Shrek. I really do tire of this internet "culture".

Division by Garfield is interesting in that it lends an entirely new context to the work. Like the last episode of Roseanne, everything about the experience and how it made you feel has completely altered in an inextricably worse way. What made you happy in it is now empty, the laughs each fall hollow; every moment of what made these positive experiences simply the depressed delusion of the vehicle that is our protagonist. His problems, his triumphs, all self imagined trials wherein the true crisis was not whatever it was he/we had stressed at the time, but his own existence and loneliness.

Reality has become an illness to himself, and the author has attempted to think himself out.

Anyone got those edits with garfield removed?

I know this is viral marketing. Fatal Farm wouldn't let Veeky Forums go un-utilised as a hub, but you've got my permission to carry on. There's no reason everyone shouldn't come to appreciate the pipe strip.

it's the real deal user.

you are wrong about it being viral marketing.

none of us could ever afford their services. they charge millions just for consulting.

garfieldwithoutgarfield.com

garfieldminusgarfield.net/

damn