If you could upload your consciousness to the Cloud, would you?

If you could upload your consciousness to the Cloud, would you?

>Yes

Living forever sounds like a sweet deal. So long as you can 'disconnect' any time of course.

What's that qoute about when facing death, all alternatives are acceptable?

But yeah, if I could carry on my conscience on for eternity I would. Something about returning to the void is not favorable.

>botnet cloud
idk OP, sounds a bit dodgy

also curious

>if I could carry on my conscience on for eternity I would.
I wouldn't. Not if it means eternal suffering.

I see your point, but it depends on the suffering. I'm a spiteful/vengeful person user. If there is a way to get people who got me, I'd do it. If it's eternal damnation to being plucked by a crow, I'll gladly pass.

How the fuck did this one win an Emmy? It was the worst of the season.
Also no, life is long enough as is

>Also no, life is long enough as is
if you think this I feel like you lack imagination

If you had eternal life, do you really think you'd have the motivation to do all the things you imagine doing?

eternal is quite a far jump up from more than 60-120 [maybe a few more] years

I am sure people from the 1700s would like to see the world as it is now and all

>upload your consciousness to the Cloud,
Never mind copy vs move...
I don't trust the "cloud" with anything I'm actually relying on, and neither should you.

I think most people would as they'd get pretty bored otherwise.

Well If you're already close to death at that stage you don't exactly have a whole lot to lose.

>How the fuck did this one win an Emmy?

You know why user, and I can think of two episodes in the season that were complete garbage

Are you kidding? With all this space and resources in the galaxy alone, you couldn't find SOMETHING to entertain yourself with?

Oh god man, I want to see what things look like 1000 years from now.

It's not just a matter of having "something" to do. You have to convince yourself to do it. And why should you expend any effort at all? There's nothing stopping you from just being a lazy assholes right now, because you will have the rest of eternity to do other things.

I agree with though. I think most people would get bored just doing nothing. I still think most people would lose the motivation to do ambitious things like read every book ever written or whatever.

Yea i'd say people wouldn't do everything but if they were in good health and had all that time then they'd get a hell of a lot more done just from sheer boredom I'd imagine.

Isn't it the Star Trek teleportation thing all over again?
Am I sure I'm uploading my consciousness, whatever that is? Or am I just creating a digital copy of my mind while my physical body, housing my real consciousness, gets shut down and dies?

And that user, is why in the long game people like me will carry humanity forward. If it takes building a golden statue of myself to bang, from which all the ore was mined and smelted by my own hand to stay alive, I'd do it.

Maybe I just have more appreciation for all this chaos we live in. I love it, and thank the only sham of it all is that I won't live long enough to see every possibility that can ever happen from Earth to some rock in Andromada.

I'm not even a "happy" guy user. It takes alot to impress me and to an extent make me genuinely laugh, but at the same time I want to experience all the possibilities and see all the angles. Somewhere, somehow, there is something unbelievable...and I want to see it. If I'm wrong about it all, which IS a possibility, at least I got to see it.

>So long as you can 'disconnect' any time of course
Sure. You'll be able to disconnect whenever you want. No one is trying to use you.

They'll subtly alter you so you want to live. Problem solved.

>am I just creating a digital copy
The copy argument is a non-issue because there was never any self-continuity mechanism to transfer in the first place. This is why ego death is a thing, psychedelic compounds can interrupt your self narrative and make you realize you're just there in the moment. You from ten seconds ago doesn't teleport into you from nine seconds ago, what's there is just brain activity ten seconds ago and brain activity nine seconds ago, and the similarity in memory content plus the physical space occupied being the same or similar makes us infer a self concept identifying the two moments with one another. And proximity in time between moments doesn't constitute a literal continuity mechanism any more than two rocks would become a continuous object just because you placed them next to each other.

>living forever
you would die instantly, and the cloud would simulate a copy of your consciousness which isnt you

I don't believe I would actually experience whatever happened in the cloud, Ship of Theseus and all that.
I'd still give it a go

Would it be your consciousness? Also reliving moments is kind of sad, I'd rather live on than live in the past, maybe I could have internet access or an army of nanomachines to do my bidding.

I would rather go to sleep today and never wake up

Up load you consciousness to the cloud? are you serious? Why would anyone want to be raped by corporate kingdoms for all of eternity. 100 years tops for this earthly suffering. Krishna take me now pls.

Or interest in the possibilities revealed by imagination. For every thing which is worthwhile and brings genuine contentment in life, there are innumerable mundane and painful things. That's not edginess, it's just true

>Reads the TOS
>consciousnesses uploaded to the cloud become property of Facebook inc

Welcome to America, land of the Free.
I see in the past 6 months you've traveled to a country that was on a watch list.
Please proceed to booth A to have your mind scanned for dissident thoughts. Your consciousness will remain back up on our servers for an indefinite amount of time in case we need it in the future.

This is too real.

>living forever
Nope, it's more like leaving a very detailed memoir; you still die.