Hi Veeky Forums, I'm looking more rustic traditional European recipes to cook

Hi Veeky Forums, I'm looking more rustic traditional European recipes to cook.

I love to do batch-cooking, and usually I like to look up budget-friendly meals. But, these tend to usually be tex-mex, asian stirfries, or cheesy casseroles.

Any recommendations for websites or cookbooks with plenty of good recipes? High-calorie hearty recipes would be fantastic.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sW4uki0Fr8I
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigos
foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/bobbys-goulash-recipe-1965512
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>tomatoes
>rice
>traditional European
dumbshit

Traditional country food that a grandmother might make, not medieval larp food, user.

Get a good Polish cookbook, Hungarian also has a lot of rustic type foods that are easy to make in batches too.

Do a coq au vin. Marinaded chicken in wine with mirepoix, mushrooms, and a sauce. It's fucking delicious, dude.

Use this dudes recipe: youtube.com/watch?v=sW4uki0Fr8I

Is anyone else bothered by how many vegetables get boiled for stock, and then discarded? Seems like a waste

Rustic traditional European? Enjoy your root vegetables and sheep innards.

Yes, recently someone on Veeky Forums mentioned making it and discarding the vegetables and I said the same thing. I told him instead of just throwing it away to blend them into the sauce, but he said it would make the sauce taste too much like carrots.

>Seems like a waste

By the time you're done with those veggies, you've pretty much sucked all the flavor and life out of them, so if you eat them, you're getting nothing but mushy fiber.

sounds comfy, desu

Have you considered ratatouille? I made it last night for the Veeky Forums challenge.

Most europeans didn't tomatoes for a long time, and never ate rice.

TART PUDDINGS AND MEAT PIES

You clearly don't know what the word authentic means or have any knowledge of the renaissance.
tl;dr you're a retard.

Traditional European food?

Well, my Grandma and mother were very fond of baking and roasting.

100% of Sunday dinners were either a roast of some sort or some kind of casserole or some kind of savory pie. And sometimes a stew or a dish similar to pizza.

But usually the technique is quite different from what I see people doing on Youtube. For example roasting is a done entirely in one casserole. Pies have a bottom and not just a top and the filling and the dough are different.

To be honest I don't think you can find many of these techniques of cooking written down. I think there is an informal way of cooking which is what you experience growing up and then there is the culinary school way of doing things that you find in books and online.

My family is a mix of Italians and British. We lived in Australia and Sicily.

Stone soup

Here is a example of a typical week (from childhood memory)

>Monday:

Minestrone for lunch (plus bread with cold meats and cheese).
More bread for dinner.

>Tuesday:

Minestrone or broth for lunch.
Spanish tortilla for dinner.

>Wednesday:

Minestrone or broth for lunch.
Spaghetti with a tomato based meat sauce for dinner.

>Thursday:

Broth for lunch (plus bread with cold meats and cheese),
Fry-up for dinner with pork-chop or chicken thighs as the meat

>Friday:

Fish stew for lunch or fish soup for lunch or fish and chips for dinner

>Saturday:

Variety of boiled veggies with canned tuna/anchovies and pickles.

>Sunday:

Rabbit stew for lunch. Rabbit stew leftovers spaghetti for dinner.
We basically had some kind of broth or soup, usually minestrone, every day, for lunch.
But this is just an example we would have something different each week. I once tried to compile a list of all the dishes we used to eat and there's some 30ish different dishes. Cannot list them all.

>tfw no comfy Sunday dinners with the family

Unfortunately, my parents were not very good cooks. Meals were very basic (plain meats, plain starches, microwaved frozen vegetables) and we always ate in front of the TV. Thankfully, I've been picking up a lot of skills and recipes since I became independent.

Casseroles have always sounded appealing to me, but I have a hard time finding casserole recipes that are not Americanized with canned cream soup and tons of cheese.

What were your favorite casseroles growing up? Any recommendations?

cabbage rolls. many recipes online.

Stuffed marrows.

>meat stuffing
>>ground pork
>>garlic
>>parsley
>>spices
>>egg for binding

>cheese stuffing
>>cottage cheese
>>eggs
>>parsley
>>salt
>>pepper

Spoon out the insides of the marrows, Top them up with filling. In a casserole, lay down a layer of sliced onions. Add diced carrots and peas. Put in the stuffed marrows in the center and surround the remaining space with halved potatoes. Add water to the casserole, enough that it won't dry up during the hour it takes to cook. Coat the potatoes and the morrows with tomato sauce and drizzle everything in olive oil, salt and pepper. Sprinkle cheddar or some other hard cheese on the potatoes and bake until the potatoes and morrows have softened.

Tried to find a pic but most don't use the same technique.

Rice was very common in for example poland, since at least the late 18 century, at least in my ancient common folk cookbook.

But as OP said, traditional doesn't mean ancient. He obviously means comfy granny food.

What do you mean by European? Just straight up geographic border based? Because southern Iberian food has nothing to do with slavic or Scandinavian food.

Ghoulash, monica.

That's not Goulash. Pic related is Goulash.

>authentic Gulasch
>has pasta in it
Neck yourself you pleb.

For fucks sake, it's bolognese. You even see the minced meat and tomatoes. DISGUSTING.

>american
You people are an abomination.

Just replace the rice with barley or millet or whatever if you're that worried about authenticity.

>not even any paprika

Feijoada

Yes, authentic goulash has pasta in it. What kind of abomination calls itself goulash but does not have pasta?

>For fucks sake, it's bolognese
No it's goulash.

>You people are an abomination.
No we're not.

You all can hate all you want but pic related is authentic goulash. You would never turn a bowl of it down.

>Authentic Hungarian cuisine
>Has new world tomatoes in it

Rancho

and chilli

>anything authentic
>american

>cheese
>goulash
You americans are disgusting creatures.

Sopa da pedra

Wrong post, was meant for

>authentic
>uses a bunch of American ingredients
>implying

I would enjoy that, desu.

Never heard of feijoada before. Went to google it, and found that most recipes were like my image - mainly pork and beans.

Is there a specific recipe would create something closer to your image?

umm sorry sweetie but that's where you're wrong. there is no chilli in there.

I guess it's like Gulasch; just two main ingredients (Kraut and sausages) and you add everything you have left in your fridge.

*Gulasch = Bigos.
This whole american abomination has taken it's tool.

Goddamnit you flyover stop making a fool of americans.

>Bigos
Literally trash.
>use up leftovers from other meat dishes.
>known in Latin as compositum
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigos
There we have it. It is literally compost stew.

You're making yourself look like a fool. Goulash has pasta in it. If it does not have pasta then it's not a real goulash.
>foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/bobbys-goulash-recipe-1965512
>categories include European food

Are you retarded? It just uses leftover raw meat from snack sausages, beef or smoked pork which would otherwise get bad if not used in other dishes, you filthy american. It's shameful to waste good food. It doesn't mean you empty your plate in y pot and stew it. Good god, your low quality bait makes me mad.

>raw meat from snack sausages
So they snack on raw sausages? How is that safe?
>get bad if not used in other dishes
Why not just eat it when you make it rather than scooping it out of the compost bin?
>It's shameful to waste good food.
Agreed, that's why I plan my meals out and don't make more than cannot be consumed before it starts growing mushrooms.

You're that (((american))) guy, right? No wonder you people don't know european history and culinary evolution. Go eat some bleached chicken.

For bavarian kitchen your best bet would be
>My Bavarian Cookbook
from Alfons Schubeck. It's from a well known german chef, the english translation matches the german original what I can tell so it should be a good start for south german/austrian/south tyrolian kitchen without americanization.

OP here. Thank you for the comfy food inspiration, Veeky Forums. I liked the suggestion from to do a roast in a casserole dish.

I made a very lovely braised pork shoulder on a bed of cabbage, carrots, and onions. Browned the meat in a skillet, then into a covered casserole for 2 hours at 350C. Uncovered and finished under the broiler to give it some nice color. Meat came out a lovely fork-tender.

After cooking, I poured off the extra braising liquid, and make a quick gravy. Served with garlic mashed potatoes.

It looks a little sloppy, but it tastes amazing.

That looks damn fine for a sunday dinner. Served with a crusty bread? I can't think of much better.

I kept thinking it would go fantastic with some homemade bread.

I only just started learning how to make bread about a month ago, so I haven't tried making any harder, crustier breads yet.

Pic is some soft buns I made for making sandwiches, although the last couple were eaten dipped into stew.

Anyone have a fool-proof crusty bread recipe?

I kept thinking stuffed marrow-bones, and wondering how you could fit any reasonable amount of filling into the bone hollows.

Then I googled it and felt silly.

Depends on what you mean by crusty bread. If you mean crustier than typical American sponge cake bread, it's not hard to make at all and any random recipe you find on the internet should be fine. If you mean proper rustic crusty bread, from my experience it's pretty much impossible to make it without a proper oven. My grandparents can shit in a tray and make the greatest fucking bread ever, while I could call in the Pope to personally bless my dough and there's still no way I'm making good bread in my apartment.

That pic gave me a boner.

God damn that pork and roasted cabbage looks fucking amazing.

>Veeky Forums is so used to kid's menu tier exotic ethnic street food fusion experiences that a perfectly normal dish (with fucking burnt cabbage) looks like a divine revelation
Delete this board

blackened cabbage is great, you should try it

Neck yourself and take your jegnon souvre cheese with chuang hong sauce quesadilla empanadillas with you.

For a quick and easy crusty bread I do this (pic related). An overnight second rise gives it a deeper flavor. I've substituted 1 cup whole wheat for 1 AP and it turns out good too.

4 cups AP flour
1 tsp salt
1.75 cups warm water
1 tsp active dry yeast

Proof yeast in water for 10 minutes. Mix flour and salt. Add water/yeast. Mix until comes together. Rest 30 minutes. Knead for 8 minutes. Let rise 1-1.5 hours until double. Trifold and let rest 20 minutes. Shape by rolling and pinching and place on a flat cookie sheet or peel coated with semolina or cornmeal. Cover with towel and let rise 45 minutes. Preheat oven with stone to 425F while rising. Boil 1 cup water in oven proof pan and slip into oven. Slide loaf onto stone. Bake 35-40 minutes.

Makes a light crumb with hard crust.