Fagles or Lattimore?

Fagles or Lattimore?

Fitzgerald.
Or Pope.

>Or Pope

haha

>it may be homer, but it's not a pretty poem mr. pope

Lattimore

Fagles if you want to enjoy it. Lattimore if you need to study it.

Lombardo

>not picking Chapman

I read the translation that was in Wikisource lol

I like fagles

I read Fitzgerald for Iliad and Odyssey, they were dope.

Fattimore

E.V. Rieu

This

Fwiw, Chapman's Ovid is brilliant. Fagles for both Homers, Mandelbaum for Aeneid.

Lattimore is a more pleasant read IMO

Why is it considered "accurate but not nice to read?"

I have Fagles.

I wish I had Fitzgerald.

>reading translations from Greek
How fucking pleb can you be? Just learn Greek.

>inb4 waaaah I don't wanna learn greek
Then why do you want to read Homer? If you're not willing to put the least amount of effort just cut the pretension and read the Wikipedia page.

Why not both? If you're actually concerned about translation it's best to read multiple

>newposter excitably shitposting the oldest Veeky Forums meme ever

It's not a meme you middlebrow. Homer is a poet, poetry gets lost in translation. There are some good translations from Latin, but no Greek has been satisfactorily translated. You lose all the music of his verse and are left with a soggy imitation.

And if you can't learn Greek, just read the Wikipedia page to get the gist of the story.

My bad-- I meant the Arthur Golding translation, 1567, of the Metamorphosis.

Ignore all the other posters, OP. Listen to me.

Fagles if you like Marvel capeshit. Lattimore if you identify as a long-haired Danaan. Fitzgerald's Aeneid is best Aeneid.

>Homer is a poet, poetry gets lost in translation.
Now this is middlebrow posting.

Melnick is the only proper English translation

shitposts are supposed to be funny user.

You will always be dilettantes.

>And if you can't learn Greek, just read the Wikipedia page to get the gist of the story.

πλεμπ

F :CLAP: I :CLAP: T :CLAP: Z :CLAP: G :CLAP: E :CLAP: R :CLAP: A :CLAP: L :CLAP: D

It doesn't really matter. Translating something to English is basically butchering the work.

This is a stupid post. In your metaphor, the style of the butchery comes into play and then is worth considering.

This.

Go for Fagles

I never understand how you fags think it doesn't. It's a completley fucking different language.

guy's gotta be trolling you

Everybody understands it, retard. Doesn't mean everyone wants to dedicate time to learning Greek.

That's not what that post suggested. It suggested there was something wrong in thinking Greek to English translation was 1:1

wasn't something wrong*

Holy shit I can't decideeee

Fagles, anyone who disagrees deserves nothing less than death.

Fitzgerald*

this desu. lattimore is perfectly readable, even moreso than fagles in my experience.

>homer was a poet
huh

nothing less than the awful gravity of the guillotine

Lattimore

b-butler?

>Lattimore
My current Medieval Humanities professor's mentor was Richmond Lattimore. Weird. His translation of Agamemnon has been pretty valuable to me.

Lombardo can fuck right off because of that shitty cover